1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Talking stocks, trading, and investing in general

Discussion in 'Business, Careers & Education' started by mikeman, Feb 2, 2011.

1. stimulacra

stimulacra Senior member

I'm thinking big tobacco (MO, PM, RAI) will do well long term but what are the other players?

Currently researching GWPH and THC as well but less familiar with the pure play entities.

2. MSchapiro

MSchapiro Senior member

[​IMG]

I bought into bonds thinking that they'd be a good Vol hedge if Trump won. Turned out I was wrong as the markets decided to imply a rate hike. So got into XIV this morning and out by mid day for a 5% gain. It's a shame, could have walked away with 10% if I had been a bit more patient. Didn't get as many shares as I wanted either.

3. djblisk

djblisk Senior member

MO

4. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

Boosted my VRX stake by 25%. This is it. No more adding.

5. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

The fuck is going on with tech?

6. jbarwick

jbarwick Senior member

Locking in GAINZ!

1 person likes this.
  7. stimulacra

stimulacra Senior member

Good question: AAPL is looking nice today under normal circumstances.

I'm guessing a Trump-backed FBI might be a threat to Apple's, Google's Facebook's mobile/privacy ecosystem?

Apple is especially exposed since the iPhone is the bulk of their revenue, all manufactured overseas, and from a forensic standpoint is law enforcement's best friend.

Side note: the 40% bump in CXW gave me a bit of a mixed pause.

8. tom153

tom153 Senior member

How do you figure that?

9. djblisk

djblisk Senior member

This market is all over the place.

1 person likes this.
  10. stimulacra

stimulacra Senior member

The majority of Americans own smartphones. Chances are you have one by your side, in your pocket or next to you on the night stand 24/7. It collects a wealth of data (and metadata) that would be a gold mine to law enforcement should you ever be suspected of a crime.

Apple alone receives thousands of requests to unlock devices and accounts from law enforcement each year. In 80% of the cases they give LE what they request. Beyond that, LE agencies have been angling to get sanctioned backdoors built into Apple's iOS ecosystem and Google's Android OS since their on-the-fly encryption and security features are becoming much better.

The San Bernadino shooting was the most high profile case recently. The FBI's argument and concern is that tech companies are providing potential sex predators and terrorists devices and digital tools that put them beyond the reach of U.S. law enforcement.

James Comey thoughts on the topic below from 2014
    http://bit.ly/2emwEvF

11. stimulacra

stimulacra Senior member

What's up with Wells Fargo?

12. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

Sector rotation into financials and biotech and out of tech.

13. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Senior member

Bought some AAPL at 106.5 and sold it at 108.5. Unfortunately also bought a lot at 108.5 and was hoping to sell it at 111 if the selloff subsided and it got back to the opening price, which it didn't. Bought a decent amount of TSLA at 182, sold them at 187.

Still have core positions in all of these but buying and selling 30% more or less of the value as the stock fluctuates. Can't daytrade without volatility and boy are we getting some of that.

Also added a few SWHC and FSLR too this morning... again, hoping these are just bottoming out here? Time will tell.

Looking forward to DIS tonight. Unfortunately my hunch is it's only going to move like 2-3% here and I want it to go 5-10%. Up or down I don't care, just do something. Down? I'll buy more. Up? Great, I'll sell it off and move on.

HIMX - I don't understand. This thing was beaten down, sold off, has kindof fluctuated in a small range for a while. They did their earnings report, beat all estimates, seem to be doing fine, and it goes up the tinyest amount... then sells off. WTH?

14. tom153

tom153 Senior member

I see what you're saying now. Initially I read that as if you were trying to say that iphones are "friendlier" from a digital forensics perspective which is definitely not the case. Still don't think this as a risk to Apple though...

15. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

Interesting, BAC at its highest point since Nov 2008.

1 person likes this.
  16. djblisk

djblisk Senior member

These huge moves are weirding me out. No real catalyst, all conjecture from Trump's words. Wasn't everybody thinking the bottom was gonna fall if he got elected?

17. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

Yeah that is what I was thinking.

18. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

These last 2 days have been excellent for me. By happenstance I seem to be well positioned.

19. stimulacra

stimulacra Senior member

Trump's transition team announced their intention to dismantle Dodd–Frank which might explain the bump in bank stocks across the board.

Trump has been neutral to hostile regarding tech companies… boycott Apple over the FBI beef, his mini-feud with Bezos over Washington Post. At best they're a bit of the step child at the moment.

In my individual stock portfolio, I'm tilted towards tech so I'm seeing -2-3% declines today. Holding out hope for DIS.

Not making any moves except to trim GLD if there was a substantial run-up (hasn't happened) or buy into VGHCX or VEMAX as funds become available.

WFC and AAPL are still looking good though. Feel like I might have missed a window with CMG last month.

20. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

NVDA continues to crush earnings.