Talking stocks, trading, and investing in general

Discussion in 'Business, Careers & Education' started by mikeman, Feb 2, 2011.

1. Slopho

Slopho Senior member

LOL, I don't know why S is even trying anymore.

2. CYstyle

CYstyle Senior member

On the contrary I would be looking to go long now. I figure the market has another 5% downside, we should see a rally 2012. Just nibbling a bit though not putting serious cash in yet.

There's so many different ways to "analyze" the markets, I find people often over analyze yet at the end of the day perform worse than the market, so just wasted effort lol.

3. Slopho

Slopho Senior member

:rolleyes: I don't know about that.

4. HgaleK

HgaleK Senior member

We'll look at the two major forms of analysis: technical and fundamental. Technically we're fucked. We just broke a bear flag that's been forming for almost 2 months. Also, look at an overlay of the past 4 years and a chart of the market from the macdaddy crash. Fundamentally, we're also kinda-sorta fucked.

Even without that, just peek at the chart. The market is going down right now. Why buy when it's going down? Why not miss a few points and buy when it's going up again? Nobody wins by calling a bottom.

Why do you think that there's only another 5% and then a rally in 2012?

+1 to S&P index fund if you are going to drop money.

I'm sure that it'll go up eventually. I just don't see a point in dropping the cash when right now everything is so gross looking.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2011

5. Slopho

Slopho Senior member

Horrible debut from Steve Cook. You have to come out with something kick ass to let people know that the company will be fine without Steve Jobs. This crap failed.

6. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

agreed. dude didn't even present the new iphone... i mean, REVISED, iphone.

time to get a windows phone.

7. NameBack

NameBack Senior member

I don't really get the hate -- we went through this with the 3G S. Further, I tend to think that if they had simply labeled it the iPhone 5, most of the hate they're getting would have evaporated. It's a substantially improved phone with substantially different hardware, and iOS5 is making huge updates to functionality.

I have little doubt this will be a success for apple.

8. NameBack

NameBack Senior member

I'm putting real money into my algo on Sunday. Hopefully this isn't a terrible decision!

9. Slopho

Slopho Senior member

Well, first I should say I'm an idiot. Its Tim Cook not Steve Cook. Second, Apple phones are in part hype machines, my complaint is that this company is under a microscope and this event would have gone a long way to show how things are going to be AJ (After Jobs). For them to not come out with something that will be gangbusters is a big let down. Now with all that said, here is how I see the landscape over the next couple of years. AAPL will slip, not much but they wil probably return to the high 200's low 300's as sales of Ipods start to evaporate (no need as most music is now downloaded straight to the phone and you can have storage on the cloud) Ipads won't ever take the place of laptops and I see hardware sales falling here as well. AAPL will do well with software sales but future hardware sales will suffer. GOOG will gain, the Driod is doing nothing but gaining market share, S and RIMM are done. Done Done Done, sad state for S. If AAPL had introduced the iphone 5 today I actually had my fingers crossed that maybe they would make an exclusivity deal with S (pity fuck basically) for that horrible 20B dollar deal.

JMO

Last edited: Oct 4, 2011

10. stevent

stevent Senior member

Well once iPhones really take off in China, Latin America etc. it will give Apple another few years to develop a few new products. The Amazon Fire will take some iPad sales but not that much as they are really different products. If they come out with something new, then they will be solid. Otherwise I'd say 5 years before any real depreciation hits. The iPhone 3GS was the second (or third) best selling phone in Q2 in the US. (I'm pretty sure that's the stat, can find the source if you don't believe me) And how old is the 3GS?

11. javyn

javyn Senior member

I'm sure it will be a success, but IMO naming it iPhone 5 w/o a design change would piss people off even more.

12. HgaleK

HgaleK Senior member

Quick note from a technical perspective. If we close back above the old support line, we may have put in a bottom. I think it's just confirming resistance, but this is a pivotal area if you want your algo to catch a crash.

[​IMG]

13. javyn

javyn Senior member

GLUU and AMRN looking good....not share price, but prospects. GLUU broke a huge roadblock at 2.25 today though, just give me a damn catalyst to deliver the short squeeze of a lifetime into my lap, plz.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2011

14. chrisjr

chrisjr Senior member

park it in REITs and pref. shares for the moment, 7% returns sup?

15. Slopho

Slopho Senior member

ACTC man ACTC. Rabin suprised by what he's seeing. This may be big, soon I'll be rich enough to leave SF forever.