Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Talking stocks, trading, and investing in general

Discussion in 'Business, Careers & Education' started by mikeman, Feb 2, 2011.

1. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

Here ya go. Just had to search for "skills baby" and you were the only post in this thread.

http://www.styleforum.net/t/222870/talking-stocks-trading-and-investing-in-general/4050#post_6843463

Ladies and gents, I present to you idfnl, the guy who proclaims his ability to pick a winning biotech stock as skill.

:crackup:

Oh but wait! There's more! He even says how the stock will behave with his excellent foresight and trading ability! Quick, take my money and invest for me!

Edit: consider a career in writing SeekingAlpha articles. You'll do well there.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2014

2. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Wow, dude. You've really shown me.

You joked "you lucky fucks"

I joked "skill baby"

Someone chimed in that I knew my stuff

I deprecated that "I wish"

To this point of "skills baby" that you've worked so hard to suss out, I quote myself again: "it's called trash talking or just general excitement about a move that favors me. You mistake someone enjoying the process of trading with arrogance".

It's called trash talk, Green Frog. Now please leave it because your inability to understand kidding around look stupider by the post.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2014

3. Beckwith

Beckwith Senior member

SoftBank. Best BABA derivative out there.

4. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

It's my take that Idfnl likes to be devil's advocate as a way of understanding other points of view. This is a fair approach and has created some of the more interesting side bar topics. I have never taken it to be malicious or as chest pounding, just as a way to further the discussion by having one expound on their point.

5. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

My brokerage is offering alibaba IPO shares but I can't participate because I don't have the minimum $500K in my account.

Dammit!

Edit: looks like I can bypass this requirement by being considered an active day trader, which, to their definition, is someone who has placed at least 36 equity / fixed income trades within a calendar year. I've placed 20 to-date, so I could theoretically place 16 trades, all on monday, to be eligible and place an indicator of interest. I more than likely wouldn't receive any allocation since I'm a small fry compared to all the HNW customers.. but one can aspire..

That all said, my brokerage maintains a requirement that anyone participating in an IPO must hold their position for at least 90 days before selling, so that eliminates the enticement of selling on an anticipated open-day pop.

My takeaway from all this -- the rich only get richer!

Last edited: Sep 13, 2014

6. Concordia

Concordia Senior member Dubiously Honored

I hope so, but you can comfort yourself with thoughts of the Facebook IPO.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2014

7. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

the facebook ipo was a disaster because the underwriters priced it terribly. way, way, way too high.

if alibaba is priced at roughly $60 - $66 as rumored, i see much more potential upside, considering their fundamentals.

8. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

I hope apple releases how many iPhones they sold over the weekend and the stock pops.

:smarmy:

9. jbarwick

jbarwick Senior member

Well the 6 Plus sold out but the 6 is still hanging around still able to be purchased. My wife got the regular 6 which is already going to be big in screen size. Larger screen sizes are for the people who can't carry a conversation to save their life.

10. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

I think they had limited availability of the plus. But I also think the 6+ is a bit more popular than anticipated as well.

For the 6, I believe (hope?) that Apple simply had plentiful supply, but even now the shipping dates are slipping. Either way, we already know they broke a record for sales since they issued a statement as such.

How awesome would it be if they sold 15 million, counting preorders and launch weekend sales?

I think I'm more excited to hear about their sales number than the actual phone that I pre-ordered...

Last edited: Sep 14, 2014

11. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

4 milli sold in the first 24 hours :slayer:

12. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

I've been taking profits all morning. I think we have a shitty week ahead.

13. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Wow... everything momentum is getting hammered. Looks like money being staged up for the BABA IPO.

14. otc

otc Senior member

Saw a girl with a 6 on Saturday. While I am loathe to see the iPhone grow (I figure it's small size had at least somewhat of an anchoring effect on the sizes of other phones), its new form factor is pretty slick.

More moto x then HTC one (in terms of how both phones has same size screen but the HTC one was significantly larger).

15. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

Are you sure she had the 6? They haven't been released just yet.

Fully expecting iOS to steal some market share points from android.