1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Talking stocks, trading, and investing in general

Discussion in 'Business, Careers & Education' started by mikeman, Feb 2, 2011.

1. Slopho

Slopho Senior member

^ Why are tiy arguing with me? DirectTV already does, you can watch shows sports and movies on your cellphone if you want. I'm not saying NFLX is done, I'm just saying it has its work cut out for them .

Edit: Did you see ACTC is starting trials in the UK? All I'm doing is making you money and all you're doing is giving me lip!!

Last edited: Sep 22, 2011
  2. NameBack

NameBack Senior member

And the gold crash begins...

3. javyn

javyn Senior member

LOL mid 17s is a crash?

4. HgaleK

HgaleK Senior member

El oh El. It's not gold, hombre.

5. javyn

javyn Senior member

I'm not trying to be argumentative, but I think there was a big overreaction with Netflix. That news shouldn't have cut the stock price in half, unless it was overvalued in the first place, which is possible. Like I said before, I haven't looked at it.

Saw the headline, but haven't read the articles yet on ACTC. I kind of don't want to read anything about them. I need to hold these shares and forget about them for 5 years or so. Otherwise, I could pull another bonehead move selling for a stupid 20% return or something when it could have made me stupid rich, like AAPL. :( In at 15, out at 18, thinking "iPod.....gimmicky bullshit, good for a scalp but no one is going to honestly buy that shit". :(

6. NameBack

NameBack Senior member

Just noting that today was the first day we say it noticeably flip from a negative-beta to a positive-beta. I've been saying all along that people are going to wake up one day and realize that they've been putting their "safe" money in something just as dangerous and speculative as any other equity, and when they do, it's going to dive. Hard.

I wouldn't be surprised if this is the beginning of that. Whenever it does come, I guarantee it comes at the same time as a huge market plunge. When shit gets truly rough, people will flock to cash and bonds, same as they always do. Gold will tank.

edit: I mean for a while now it's been obvious that the markets have not been pricing in the likelihood of another global financial crisis/recession instigated by the European clusterfuck and generally incompetent monetary and fiscal policy the world over. If this is the beginning of the correction the markets have been putting off, I'm quite confident that gold will be part of that correction. But whether today is the day or not, that market correction is coming (because Europe is fucked, and we're all fucked), and when it does, gold will tank.

In other words, when the world becomes seriously unsafe, people will realize that gold was never a safe store of value.

7. HgaleK

HgaleK Senior member

Today looks like it was the start. Check out an overlaid chart from the last depression. It's scary similar. We also broke support. Finally, gold moving with stocks is a sign of big money moving to cash. We may fill the gap, but it looks like we're heading down after that.

8. stevent

stevent Senior member

You can't be judging a company if you didn't do basic research. And basic research is that cable companies are their main competitors. Apple TV is supposed to come out by Winter 2012, so depending on what Apple does exactly, Netflix could be killed off by the time Apple launches. Or Netflix could recover with something like HBO. Really hard to say.

9. NameBack

NameBack Senior member

I agree. :slayer:

10. javyn

javyn Senior member

Unless cable goes a la carte, I just don't see how it could "kill" Netflix. And yeah, I can watch on demand stuff on Comcast or whatever, but that's not the point. The point is I'd still have to pay 30 something to 40 something dollars a month for a basic "package" with a bunch of garbage channels I don't want, as opposed to 8 bucks a month streaming stuff off Netflix.

11. Slopho

Slopho Senior member

But J, isn't the knock against NFLX streaming is that the selection is limited.

12. javyn

javyn Senior member

Yes that's a very big knock, and a very big problem for em, IMO, but still man....8 bucks a month. Even if Netflix never got any new content I'd be just fine with it paying 8 dollars a month streaming Cheers!, Twin Peaks, X-Files, Kitchen Nightmares, etc. heh. I'm just speaking for me though, so you're probably right, maybe they are in big trouble. But I'm not an unhappy customer myself heh.

If there's any 'new' network show out that I want to see (aside from Always Sunny, I can't think of any), I just wait for the DVDs and grab them from Ne....er....Qwikster, whatever heh. Although I've gotten to the point on my DVD que where the only stuff left on it is stuff I don't really care about that I added years ago heh. So I may throttle down to 1 DVD out at a time, or cancel the DVD rental completely, haven't decided yet. And the cool thing is, the decisions don't have to be set in stone, it's so easy to pause and reactivate the account.

But yeah I haven't done any analysis on their stock or anything, not that my analysis would be any good haha, so I can't tell you if the stock is overvalued, undervalued, whatever.

Not trying to be contentious, I just don't see them going out of business or anything crazy like that.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2011
  13. Slopho

Slopho Senior member

Speaking of the DVD service, my brother is a doctor over at Hopkins in Baltimore, I told him once they should do a culture on a typical Netflix DVD sleeve and see what comes back, The main reason to do away with DVD service is the completely disgusting sleeves that you have to touch. No doubt cum, shit and piss are all over these things. Fucking Gross.

14. javyn

javyn Senior member

I use them as coasters to set my Miller High Life tall boys on while I'm watching.

15. javyn

javyn Senior member

That's still 10 bucks on top of whatever package plan I'd need to have to be a current subscriber, unless I'm mistaken. If that's the case, no thanks. ;)

16. Slopho

Slopho Senior member

Damn J I've got to see the engagement ring you get your wife you cheap-o. $10 bucks AND my regular cable bil?? NO THANKS!!"

17. javyn

javyn Senior member

I cut the cable in 2004. And the woman is just fine with cubic zirconium ;)

No cable, no home phone, cheapo DSL line and cell phone. Called living within your means sucka

18. stevent

stevent Senior member

If you sign up again you get the service fo free for one year :slayer:

19. linds_15

linds_15 Senior member

is there an abundance of people who use netfilx as an alternative to cable? ive never really heard of people doing this unti this past page