• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Talking stocks, trading, and investing in general

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm really liking the FB story and how the company is shaping and positioning itself. I'm going to double or triple down when we get a decent dip. Leaving my JPM position as-is.

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Instagram has really taken hold in a lot of countries as well. I see sponsored posts every now and then but I don't know what the interaction is suppose to be for a company to get value out of it. Maybe brand recognition?

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My guess would be brand recognition as well. I ran into my first Instagram ad today (granted, I just made my instagram account like two weeks ago and don't follow very many people) and it was from McDonalds advertising their triple stacker or whatever it's called. Those types of ads, I would presume, are for brand awareness.

I'm betting they'll soon allow e-commerce websites to link to actual merchandise to drive direct sales from those ads. We'll see. Either way, it was a good ad. It didn't feel very intrusive and I think Instagram / Zuckerberg is trying really hard to make sure they're high quality ads.

Believe it or not, I don't even really mind the ads I see on my FB newsfeed. They're pretty targeted and I've actually bought some things, or at least became aware of some brands, through some of the ads. Seems to be working, as evident through their latest earnings release.

Last edited:

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My ads have been car related on Instagram. Mostly MB, VW, and Audi. No food ads yet.

As for FB ads, the sponsored posts are one thing but I see so many "get ripped quick" and University ads that I don't click on. The worst offending thing by far are those Buzzfeed click bait links with some catchy title like "You are not going to believe what's #4!!!!"

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Re: ****** facebook ads -- I used to get those too, especially because I have 'working out' as a like. I hid all those ads though by reporting them as distasteful or useless and now even the ads I get on the right of my newsfeed are either completely irrelevant at worst, or slightly useful at best.

I have seen one buzzfeed sponsored post that I actually clicked on. That was a mistake.

But yeah, you can kinda curate your own ads by actively removing the ones you find irrelevant or stupid/obnoxious. Doesn't take too much time.

Last edited:

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I'm really liking the FB story and how the company is shaping and positioning itself. I'm going to double or triple down when we get a decent dip. Leaving my JPM position as-is.

I don't see many dips into the 90's unless the broader market corrects.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Nothing that I really feel convinced about, ETF wouldn't be a bad idea. GILD numbers pretty damn solid too

I started researching BDSI

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

TWTR surged 30% in after hour trading. Booyah!

I realllllly needed that. I was down over 40% on this one. Now I'm down like 10%. Please break even so I can dump this dog.

Opened positions in UPS, GLW and a Spain centered ETF, EWP. Also took nibbles on GPRO and DPZ.

I am considering SPFF and a pretty risky play in BDCL.

Last edited:

djblisk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know we went through this but I forgot.

Which trading website do you guys use?

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Interactive Brokers

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Staff online

Forum statistics