• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Talking stocks, trading, and investing in general

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Didn't you buy this when it IPO'ed and book a solid 25% or something? Or was it after its first earnings release?

No, I never took any profits on it. I was up about that much at one point, so its an even more precipitous drop than just my initial position. What a *************.

Last edited:

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

No, I never took any profits on it. I was up about that much at one point, so its an even more precipitous drop than just my initial position. What a *************.

Sucks man.

At least their sandwiches, and especially their pickled veggies, are pretty darn good.

Last edited:

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score

We're not really talking about profit taking or rebalancing here. All the headlines are about major corrections taking place.

Headlines like "Nothing To See Here, No Grand Portents To Be Read" don't generate attention/advertising dollars.

Last edited:

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Headlines like "Nothing To See Here, No Grand Portents To Be Read" don't generate attention/advertising dollars.

Well, yeah. I get that sensational headlines drive clicks and revenue but they do generally portray the public's sentiment about the current market environment. Right now it's pretty negative and tense.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

Well, yeah. I get that sensational headlines drive clicks and revenue but they do generally portray the public's sentiment about the current market environment. Right now it's pretty negative and tense.

I think public sentiment has correctly predicted 85 of the last 10 major corrections.

lawyerdad

Reaction score
I would argue that they attempt to drive the public's sentiment more than they reflect it. The DJA moved 0.42% today. That's basically Brownian motion. But there's a whole industry of pundits, analysts, journalists, and editors whose entire job is to tell us, every day, THIS IS WHAT THE MARKET'S DOING TODAY, THIS IS WHY IT'S DOING IT, AND THIS IS WHAT IT MEANS!!!" I listen to public radio in the car driving home. I usually catch the "Marketplace" segment.
Oddly enough, I've never heard them say, "Well, **** all really happened today. The market's just drifting along the way they do, and if I tried to tell you I could read something into it I'd be blowing smoke up your ass."
And unless the market is doing something every day, unless they ascribe some half-assed reason for it happening, and unless they have a theory about what conclusions we should draw from the meaningless, inconsequential **** that happened today, they won't have jobs. So guess what: every day we're told that something significant is happening, that they can divine why it happened (beyond, "well, Bob, the explanation is that there was 0.06% more selling than buying today"), and what it all portends.

Last edited:

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

At least their sandwiches, and especially their pickled veggies, are pretty darn good.

I love eating their sandwiches for lunch when I'm in the office with no one to eat with. I probably eat there about 5-8 times a month for lunch.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I love eating their sandwiches for lunch when I'm in the office with no one to eat with. I probably eat there about 5-8 times a month for lunch.

Yeah. Ask about 400,000 more of your friends to do that so I can unwind from this ****.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to since my brother dropped money on that dog also when it IPO'd.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
They make pretty good shakes too.

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
MZN mentions drones possible in Seattle...gives the stock a 4% bump. I love Amazon but am too scared to buy shares.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I haven't ordered from AMZN in over a month...

Better not buy any shares

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Sorry to see your losses.

Also, no point in hiding your positions' values when you've left the share price and # of shares :p

not losses! unrealized negative gains!!! :happy:

They make pretty good shakes too.

this is true! with that little cookie around the straw... :inlove:

Last edited:

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

not losses! unrealized negative gains!!! :happy:
this is true! with that little cookie around the straw... :inlove:

And if you get an oreo shake, you get the cookie around the straw AND a couple of mini oreos tossed atop the lid :slayer:

lawyerdad

Reaction score

Dow Jones
16,932.78 +17.71 (0.10%)

S&P 500
1,966.58 +1.90 (0.10%)

Nasdaq
4,414.18 +17.98 (0.41%)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads