1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Talking stocks, trading, and investing in general

Discussion in 'Business, Careers & Education' started by mikeman, Feb 2, 2011.

1. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

I wouldn't touch TWTR again with a 10 foot pole.

YELP is better than TWTR but I wouldn't touch it, they're both dogs.

2. jbarwick

jbarwick Senior member

Do you use Twitter? Most of us have commented the interface on mobile devices sucks. FB would be the better social media stock to own.

As for buying into earnings, let us all know how that goes. Holding something you believe in is already hard enough through earnings season, let alone buying into the announcement. Also with the low price of oil, I am betting that has slowed down sales. If I remember correctly, they noted last quarter of the slowing of sales.

1 person likes this.
  3. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Yeah, I have used it only to follow a little known racing driver that I wouldn't get news about another way. In it's defense, this is a perfect case study why the tool is actually transformative. But it's a piece of shit. Impossible to understand how it's intended to operate. I can just see those design meetings now full of tech geeks with impressive resumes turning a simple idea into this monetized bastardization. Also, the street fucking hates the management, and I can see why.

Yeah, good point about TSLA, though I doubt it would effect more than a handful of sales. I think they have bigger production problems getting those batteries built.

4. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

The only stock I'm eyeing for an earnings gamble this week is WFM.

5. otc

otc Senior member

I think idfnl is just an idiot.

Plenty of teenages have no trouble understanding how to use twitter. Lots of old politicians too (their dickpic and racist joke tweeting not being an indicator of lack of understanding of how to use it...just poor judgement).

I don't know if I would want to invest in it...but it is really not hard to use, the mobile app is fine, and the 3rd party interfaces are even better if you are a power user.

6. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

Even an old fart like me has figured out how to use Twitter.

7. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Congrats. You fit right in the TWTR community. Enjoy reading the ram­blings of famous peo­ple.

8. jbarwick

jbarwick Senior member

A few tech bloggers I follow not on TWTR always mention using 3rd party apps. Does TWTR get any money from those companies?

I just don't use it that much and follow some parody accounts for the laughs but that is all. Check maybe once a week for 10min and I am done.

9. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

You're asking the right people. They're experts.

1 person likes this.
  10. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Senior member

my thoughts on TWTR was that they're at a bit of crossroads where they either die (which I don't think will happen), get bought out and integrated into some other platform (good for the stock anyway for my purposes), or, which is my bet, they're actually just 'passe' around here but there's a whole new market overseas they're breaking into that will still see this as exciting and novel and use it. There's celebrity support, youth support, and new markets that are HUGE where this may catch on. And most importantly, because they're sort of struggling, they're fighting, and will have to figure out a way to actually start making money and I think that's where they're at, they're finally starting to think of better ways to actually make some money on this thing. Anyway, I'm just gut speculating and wtf do I know. I'll reconsider NOT buying this one when it's under 40 and take the caution about into account, honestly.

as for TLSA, I think I was reading that they're going to report lower than expected earnings, and longer term have strong prospects, but there's also some big unknown AAPL competition on the way... so who knows. I wanted to buy in where it's at now, 215 or so, and see if it might pop 30-40 points and sell it off at 250, all within a day or two but funny thing I didn't even have time to buy it so will just sit on the sidelines for now and see how this stock reacts anyway and learn for next time. I still think these guys have long term potential, a LOT of it. $300+ wouldn't be out of the question IMO in the next few years.

11. gettoasty

gettoasty Senior member

Thoughts on Pandora?

Not looking to invest anytime soon. Just curious seeing how social media companies are being talked about.

I'm aware there are other services, but I've been using Pandora now for about 4+ years. Never subscribed as the free version has always been good enough for me (maybe a telltale sign?). Really like how similar artists are recommended within the same genre.

Recently took some old headphones to work for listening at the end of the day when trying to wind down.

Actually, if you have suggestions for a better "online radio" feel free to share.

12. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Social media is a fickle space, and doesn't seem like a very profitable one save for the the only thing I hold long term, FB. YELP has become a dog. Can't think of another stock in the space I'd want.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2015
  13. jbarwick

jbarwick Senior member

My vote: Go to Vegas, put it all on red. TWTR as stated previously has shit for management. I mean go for it but there is no leader to direct the company. Maybe they will buy WhatsApp which is huge already in other countries....nope FB bought that. Maybe Instagram as that is huge these days....nope FB again. The best thing sitting out there is SnapChat as they have a foolish leader but he has rejected some BIG money to grow his company. Find a way to put money in that.

TSLA and competition from AAPL? The AAPL car thing was to improve maps. TSLA's biggest competition is themselves. Before the Model S the other cars were not particularly great or jaw dropping. The Model X or whatever with gullwing doors does not seem to bode well but maybe everyone will want gullwing doors like kids were putting scissor doors on their cars after the first F&F movie.

Not to be rude but your gambling is not even well thought out. It would be like going to Vegas to put it all on red and you end up at the poker table trying to place that bet.

14. amerikajinda

amerikajinda Senior member

Have you tried Spotify?

Picked up some $BBY this morning...

[​IMG]

15. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Senior member

Well then.... I stand corrected

[​IMG]

16. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

+1 on Spotify

Their recommendations engine is a bit funky, but I really like the ability to listen to whatever I want. Their catalog isn't exhaustive by any means, but it's pretty good.

For discovering new music I usually start by listening to something I've chose and then check out the list of "related artists".

And apologies for briefly soapboxing, but it's worth noting that what the artists get by way of royalties from services like a pandora or Spotify is minuscule. If I I find that I like something enough that I'm listening to it repeatedly, I try to remember to make a point of buying it. YMMV, obviously.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2015
  17. otc

otc Senior member

Are the royalties better than what you get for a single youtube play?

Because for a lot of songs being listened to on Spotify, that is the alternative (and you don't have to spend any money making a video for spotify). Either that, or piracy.

I know the royalties aren't a lot, but they aren't nothing, and spotify is the thing that made everyone I know stop pirating every single piece of their music (or using sites like grooveshark which are just piracy-engines).

18. otc

otc Senior member

And I should note, I thought Taylor Swift pulling her stuff was bullshit. She is exactly the kind of artist who does well on spotify. Shorter songs that get played over and over and over again. Somebody streaming Blank Page 300 times probably generates more royalties than buying that single track once on itunes.

The people who are worse off with it are the people whose music you would buy knowing that it isn't going to get listened to a ton. That experimental jazz CD would never end up in your car stereo for 3 months straight, and you probably aren't going to stream it very many times either. Same with classical music where you might buy something to have a recording of your favorite piece by a great orchestra...but you aren't going to play it like a teenage girl with a Katy Perry song. Even rock/alt/pop/rap when you get to b-sides/collaborations/other funky things--You might have bought it just to hear it 10-15 years ago. Now you stream it once and never again, and the artist only gets a few pennies.

19. jbarwick

jbarwick Senior member

If you think those are good investments then by all means buy them. It seems like TSLA would be a short term hold anyway and holding TWTR long term would be a roller coaster.

20. jbarwick

jbarwick Senior member

I listen to Pandora through my Sonos speaker and app and hardly ever hear advertisements but when I listen on my phone I get a lot more advertisements.

Aloe Blacc on Pandora Royalties:

"Consider the fact that it takes roughly one million spins on Pandora for a songwriter to earn just $90. Avicii’s release “Wake Me Up!” that I co-wrote and sing, for example, was the most streamed song in Spotify history and the 13th most played song on Pandora since its release in 2013, with more than 168 million streams in the US. And yet, that yielded only $12,359 in Pandora domestic royalties— which were then split among three songwriters and our publishers.'

http://www.wired.com/2014/11/aloe-blacc-pay-songwriters/