Talking stocks, trading, and investing in general

Discussion in 'Business, Careers & Education' started by mikeman, Feb 2, 2011.

1. otc

otc Senior member

:slayer:

2. djblisk

djblisk Senior member

Gonna jump back into Aapl

3. Khayembii Communique

Khayembii Communique Senior member

Just started researching TOWR, anyone have any insights?

4. otc

otc Senior member

GoPro (GPRO) is looking to have quite the IPO pop.

They make a sweet product, but I might want to see some diversification before investing (although maybe that is what the IPO money is being used for).

Basically, they only make one camera and just keep releasing progressively newer versions. Each version is an improvement, but how many slightly better action cameras can you sell? I think a lot of people buy one, realize how little they use it--or rather, they use it, but they never actually edit and use the footage--and aren't going to be inclined to upgrade.
    Unless 4K gets big, the last 2-3 years worth of cameras are all plenty serviceable for years to come...when displays top out at 1080P, you can't push the resolution like you can with still cameras.

5. jbarwick

jbarwick Senior member

We have a GoPro...filmed some of our wedding with it...have not watched the footage or edited any of it. Spot on otc

6. otc

otc Senior member

Yeah, I have literally done something with the footage once following my first actual use of the camera during sports back in November:
    [VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Since then, I've brought it on 2 ski trips where I shot lots of footage with it both helmet mounted and attached to the end of a pole.
    None of that has seen the light of day. I've reviewed some of the clips...and keep meaning to edit it into something, but it never happens.

I'm kind of OK with this. Part of why I wanted the camera was to record myself sailing for training purposes (keep an eye on body position, look out for what happens when things get mixed up, be able to actually visualize what things look like), but for all of the people who buy them to make cool videos of themselves doing sweet tricks...the novelty wears off quickly.

7. Concordia

Concordia Senior member Dubiously Honored

Well, let's hope it hangs in there for another 6 months. So far, so good. :slayer:

8. Concordia

$38.89. There will be punishment...

Last edited: Jun 30, 2014
  9. stevent

stevent Senior member

Sold my GWPH, nice gain for two months :slayer:

10. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

I've had that on my watch list for the past two months. I'm so sad I didn't buy it when I first heard of it.

Saw the pop today and my jaw dropped.

Good for you though!

11. Concordia

SMLP now over $50. No idea if that's too high, but there are still a lot of assets held by the general partner, which they have a lot of incentive to push cheaply into the MLP. The same fund that set this up is about to do the same again with their Fund III. Come a year or two from now, that could be an interesting IPO.

12. jbarwick

jbarwick Senior member

CAT still doing well after 6 months as my top Dow stock for the year. Other thoughts:

-GPRO...will they get another market other than cameras...talk about some gains since IPO
    -NFLX....I remember when $300 was a scary level but now they are at $450. Would hate to hold that through the wrong side of earnings.

Was reading about this whole purchase a foreign entity to gain access to a lower tax bracket country. If the US gov't would only seek out taxes that firms make in the US and not trying to grab a piece of world wide earnings...this could be a catalyst for growth.

13. Concordia

Another option would be to reduce corporate taxes to something like 10% and get rid of the individual break on dividends. I don't know how much dividend income goes to pensions or other non-taxed entities, so the math might not work. But it would allow much of the income to be taxed while removing a huge advantage currently held by the weasel-driven firms that ship their income over to Ireland or other havens. Given the dividends that firms not paying much tax at all, it might actually increase the IRS's take.

14. amerikajinda

amerikajinda Senior member

Well Orexigen ($OREX) is not moving in the direction that I'd hoped... down 6.51% since I bought it last month... FML :foo:

15. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

No thanks :)