Talking stocks, trading, and investing in general

Discussion in 'Business, Careers & Education' started by mikeman, Feb 2, 2011.

1. dopey

dopey Senior member Dubiously Honored

2. Concordia

Concordia Senior member Dubiously Honored

Only if it dips below its 200-day average. Blow it out then but be prepared to buy it once it recovers.

3. jbarwick

jbarwick Senior member

TWTR getting slammed after the lockup expired. My recollection is FB jumped when their lockup expired in 2012.

4. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

Twitter just isn't a very good social media platform for the masses. The usage and growth numbers prove it.

It's not intuitive to use at all, which really turns off first time users.

I recall a statistic stating that the vast majority of accounts have never tweeted at all.

Their employees know this too, hence the selling IMO. Unless they have a dramatic overhaul that makes it more user friendly for new users while still appealing to its core users, I don't see it gaining as much traction over time.

5. dopey

Thanks. Right now, I am watching for big moves in the VIX as that usually previews strong selling signals for BRK, but I am nervous about waiting too long to pull the trigger.

6. jbarwick

jbarwick Senior member

My account has no tweets, just use it as a news platform. I found it rather easy to tweet but when you want to follow along as to why someone tweeted something in particular, it can get confusing for the masses.

7. otc

otc Senior member

I tweeted twice in the 24 hours. Before that, I had last retweeted something a month ago...one of the 41 tweets I have made since 2009.

Last night I tweeted @cbsnews because I needed to see something from 60 minutes. The 60 minutes website doesn't work on android. It redirects you to a page that takes you to the apple app store...and if you click the option to "request desktop site" (which I often do with my tablet since it is big enough to view desktop sites), it ignores you and just keeps sending you back to the Apple app store landing page. I accused them of hiring a web developer from 2009.

Then earlier today, I tweeted @ a developer who had done some unique data analysis...I could use some similar data at work, but unfortunately he responded that his company is owned by the company whose data I needed and thus he has access to it.

Last edited: May 6, 2014

8. otc

otc Senior member

And I should add that the first 12 of my 41 tweets were all sent on the first day.

Such gems as "i am on the couch" and "playing smash"

followed by
    "pizza and smash"
    "gettin trophies"
    "got 50 trophies"

But mostly I have just used it to complain @ companies

9. Concordia

Buy high, sell low! Just don't miss the trend.

10. Cantabrigian

Cantabrigian Senior member

Looks like price / book is around 1.37. Uncle Warren said that he'd buy back shares around 1.2. So looks like you should have a bit of a backstop, at least initially, about 12% lower.

I don't know if 12% seems like a huge or a modest amount, given your expectations / holding period / what you'd made on it so far / how much higher you think it can go in the not-too-distant future. But it might be something to think about.

11. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

:lurk:

12. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

I use it as a news platform only, too.

One of their biggest issues for first time users is back and forth conversations. They can be hard to follow due to the way they're presented, especially if or when you have irrelevant tweets being tweeted that get nested in between.

I recall trying to follow someone else's conversation and just getting massively confused over who was saying what to who and throw in additional @ tags in one tweet and it becomes confusing as fuck.

I was definitely frustrated so I wouldn't be surprised to see first time users just wtf-ing , throwing their hands in the air, and forgetting about twitter.

13. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

I'm getting destroyed. I'm down 50% on this dog. I know I should take the hit and move on but I never do.

Ya, I think the platform has serious issues. I have an account to follow a couple of relatively unknown racing drivers, and also to test it out. The interface makes little sense to me.

14. dopey

Yes. But Kass has been actively shorting this stock, and while I am not into the pump and dump game, I think we are primed for a short squeeze. Especially if the VIX make a sharp move sideways.

Last edited: May 7, 2014

15. Concordia

Sharp move sideways-- how Laconic.