Talking stocks, trading, and investing in general

Discussion in 'Business, Careers & Education' started by mikeman, Feb 2, 2011.

1. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

Glad you're enjoying those gains, but how much is it? $60?

2. otc

otc Senior member

Today I'm up ninety four dollars and fifty cents thank you very much.

That's enough to buy you The Great American Challenge and some muscle relaxers.

Edit: with that kind of money, you could even splurge on the vibrating model.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2014
  3. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

It closed 25% up so closer to 70$. Only 975% to go.

Damn right. It all adds up. Obviously it's peanuts but you can't put a price on the timing of a good trade.

4. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

My biggest problem when it comes to investing is that I'm incredibly impatient. I want significant gains, NOW!

I want to make a huge fucking day-trade bet and rope in five figures, but that's just crazy.

ARGH

Hey, @idfnl, I recall you saying you rely on a website with a calendar of key dates for biopharma companies -- can you direct me to that?

i'm feeling highly speculative lately and want to make a bet on a biotech stock.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2014
  5. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

I posted it in this thread a couple of pages back, I don't have it handy. Otherwise, Google FDA approval calendar, there are more than one out there.

Your desire for speculation reminds me of when I'm at a poker table and I start feeling frogish. It's usually the moment where I lose a big hand. Don't be the guy that goes all in with a pair of 9's. You're in a colossal bull market, you can't help but make money.

6. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

Patience is a virtue in the stock market and in poker. I agree with idfnl, the need to see big gains immediately is likely to show you just the opposite. Look at the historical performance of funds which sniff out high risk stocks and I'm willing to bet you will be unimpressed with their lifetime performance.

7. jbarwick

jbarwick Senior member

I've somehow timed my deposits on big down days recently. Not trying to time it, it is just deposit day and it happens to be a down market that day. Little wins that make me happy.

GF - Be patient in the market or head to Vegas. What you are doing is gambling/speculating and for every win there are a sh*t ton of losers. But to enable your desire, a recent Economist article was mentioning that the FDA has been pushing through a lot of drugs that help more rare conditions that affect a small percentage of the population, also which is why the drugs costs hundreds of thousands per dosage. Possibly look for FDA approvals of drugs that treat some rare type of disease and not basic broader medical issues? Good luck!

8. otc

otc Senior member

And...mcig is up another 14%.

This was meant to be a long term play...but maybe not. Starting to look like somebody is running a pump and dump scam on this thing and I should set some stop orders to seal in my gains.

9. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Make that 16%

I don't know. Lots of people are starting to pay attention to this sector.

I may do a trailing stop. Or just sell and keep the profit in free shares. We're up 40% in 2 days.

10. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Make that 17%

I went ahead a setup a trailing stop

Last edited: Mar 6, 2014
  11. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Holy shit it's up 23%

12. stevent

stevent Senior member

Damn biggest two day jump in a while, I'd probably sell initial and keep free shares

Was maybe gonna get in today but always too slow

13. otc

otc Senior member

Yeah...

Normally I'm not sour grapes about missed opportunities (since its so easy to feel bad about missing the winners while ignoring all of the losers you were lucky to miss)...but I'm pretty pissed I didn't pick this up. I literally submitted maybe a dozen orders around 7c over the course of a week or two...I kept hoping the broker restriction would be lifted and the order wouldn't get cancelled.

I understand why I didn't make the trade ($50 is a lot to pay for a trade unless you are moving lots of money), but it kind of makes me mad at TD Ameritrade and I might be tempted to switch to a broker that doesn't want to hold my hand. I originally went with ThinkorSwim since they had a nice platform and basically let you do whatever you wanted, but ever since they were acquired by TD Ameritrade, it has been going downhill.

14. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

My trailing stop triggered. Profit taken :)

I'm going to rebuild a position if given the chance.

15. stevent

stevent Senior member

Yeah this one is shitty since I talk with my Dad about investment ideas a good amount of time and he kinda talked me out of this as well since he instantly mentioned stuff I was trying to ignore (one guy running whole company, random spa stuff, etc.). Plus stock was well over a $1 before it tanked 2013. And cmon now, ecigs really worth ~$200 million as a company?

Also remember reading about a Weed VC firm in either FT or WSJ, does anybody know what I'm talking about?