1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 8: A Bespoke Coat from David Reeves

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a Bespoke Coat from David Reeves. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Talking stocks, trading, and investing in general

Discussion in 'Business, Careers & Education' started by mikeman, Feb 2, 2011.

1. jbarwick

jbarwick Distinguished Member

ITMN, DARA, SNSS, BCRX, IMUC and a few others. Seems like the FDA decided to do some reporting today

2. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Stylish Dinosaur

I recently sold of KO with the same feeling, I made money owning it, but it was a real slacker by comparison to my other stocks.

3. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Stylish Dinosaur

I'm still down 20% with AAPL.

4. SkinnyGoomba

The question I will sometimes ask myself is if I would buy it at todays price.

5. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Stylish Dinosaur

Really, that should always be the question, because it's essentially what you're doing.

6. idfnl

idfnl Stylish Dinosaur

That's rye. Well said.

I wouldn't buy AAPL today. The management is not too interested in shareholders and the company, regardless of its history, is not really a growth company anymore.

They had a chance to buy NFLX and even TSLA to do something transformative but they didn't. There aren't any products in the pipe I can see game changing the company. Its basically about collecting a dividend and watching it sell phones and tablets. Until that changes its going to play between 520 and 580.

GF... I would dump it. There are a host of better plays right now where you could start recouping that loss.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2014

7. TiberiasUSA

TiberiasUSA Senior Member

thinking of doing a small position long puts for scty and tsla thoughts?

they have momo going for them short term not convinced on valuation long term.

8. amerikajinda

amerikajinda Stylish Dinosaur

I don't have any thoughts on Tesla (except that I'd like to test drive a Model S) but this guy is bearish on the stock:

http://blogs.wsj.com/moneybeat/2014/02/25/the-bear-case-for-tesla

9. SkinnyGoomba

Meow...

No shit, but it helps to remind yourself of the simple things when you are overthinking it.

10. jbarwick

jbarwick Distinguished Member

I think the casual investor is jumping in TSLA for this recent run up and smart money is taking the profits and looking elsewhere. But then again I don't know their backlog of people wanting the buy a Model S that is still in production.

11. SkinnyGoomba

Anyone looking at Target? They have been recently hammered.

12. TiberiasUSA

TiberiasUSA Senior Member

True, think I'll short scty with long puts instead. Both to me are overvalued but scty I think safer just waiting for a good entry point hopefully will be cheaper as it gets to 100. 7.2billion is a high given their revenue, fslr valued less is a little puzzling to me

edit ended up deciding to just allocate a bit in both once they get close to 100 and 300. Wish me luck :)

Last edited: Feb 26, 2014

13. otc

otc Stylish Dinosaur

TD Ameritrade is not doing well with reporting return on what happened to Vodaphone this week.

They spun off their Verizon shares as a dividend and then the stock went through a 6:11 split.
    So now I hold some VZ, but less VOD
    However they didn't change the cost basis on VOD and they seem to have set the VZ cost basis to the price on the day of the spinoff.

So it looks like I lost a bunch of money on VOD and then lost a little money on VZ (which has gone down since monday) when in reality, my cost on the VZ shares was zero, so they are all gain (or really, their value should be offset against the cost basis of VOD since it is equivalent to selling some VOD to buy VZ).

14. idfnl

idfnl Stylish Dinosaur

Not sure. I think there is a lot of fast money there, but MS came out with a $350 target. There is a large amount of institutional money there.

I agree, there are retail investors there but its too broadly traded with different types of investors.

15. Cantabrigian

Cantabrigian Distinguished Member

As I understand it, this recent runup was more about the new battery plant.

Whether or not that is a good idea, I have no idea but it doesn't seem to be related to the Model S .