Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Talking stocks, trading, and investing in general

Discussion in 'Business, Careers & Education' started by mikeman, Feb 2, 2011.

1. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

2. sonick

sonick Senior member

FB buying WhatsApp messenger for $16b

3. pfurey

pfurey Senior member

Best way to invest $25,000 right now in a non-retirement account?

Instead of having the extra $ sit dormant in a savings account, I want to make it work a little for me. I most likely won't have to touch it, but would need the option to withdraw for unexpected circumstances (and yes, I have a rainy day fund). Plan is on holding for a while, but I do have a separate retirement account so I may end up withdrawing from time to time.

4. stevent

stevent Senior member

Damn CLF, I thought I caught it on bottom but nope

And JCP what a dog again, down 40% I think

Finally cut VALE last week so other than those 3 no big losers

S&P ETF or something similar, tracks the market and is liquid

MYL on a tear right now, bought some last month tempted to add to position
    EPL was in Barrons thoughts on them?
    @GreenFrog did you buy LNKD? I was tempted at 188 yesterday but didn't pull the tirgger

5. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

Nope. I was intrigued by LNKD but I don't quite understand their roadmap or how they're going to monetize 'the job search' and networking better.

Facebook, on the other hand, I think is very promising. I wish I pulled the trigger earlier last week when I said I intended to open a position. It's already gone up quite a bit since then, though their recent acquisition of WhatsApp ($16B? WTF kind of valuation is that?) has caused it to drop a couple percentage points.

I'm going to open a position tomorrow.

6. jbarwick

jbarwick Senior member

WhatsApp is a huge international draw. I think that is the point of the acquisition. A recent Economist article was mentioning WhatsApp with China where FB is not allowed. $16B is big money. Saw some sort of capture of the founder of WhatsApp was rejected by both Twitter and FaceBook for jobs...now he doesn't need a job.

As for what to do with $250K, I would agreed with something like an S&P 500 tracker or something. Would suck if you had to pull it out on a downswing but that is the risk/reward over a savings account. Someone may mention TIPS but I have not looked too much into that area.

As for retirement accounts, being young we have a smaller portfolio but we may finally hit the 6 figure mark by the end of this year. I am thinking of spreading out the portfolio into more than 4 funds but my fear comes from if I were to die, would my wife be able to manage it and rebalance when needed. The answer is a no but a more spread out portfolio tends to get a little more in return. What would everyone do? I guess I could write up instructions on how to rebalance or should I just stick with a 4 funder and be done with it?

7. amerikajinda

amerikajinda Senior member

8. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

It's a crazy price. But they rejected goog who offered 10b.

I think they did this to prevent future competition, I'm sure there is potential there but I don't see another way to justify the price.

The market is responding appropriately, this is bad for short term.

9. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

+1

10. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

11. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

Could work, but I think it may be better to include her in your decision making so that she is understanding of what you chose and why. This happened to one of my great aunts and lucky for her my grandfather was kind enough to coach her through many of her decisions. She wound up as quite a capable investor and even navigated the GFC without any hasty decisions. My grandfather did the same for my brother and I once we began investing, it greatly influenced the foundation of my decision making.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2014

12. otc

otc Senior member

They did it for the market. Facebook (and google) has a strong cross-platform messaging presence, but there are areas where they are completely lacking in market share and there are areas where the app is weak.

Whatsapp has always been in the position that it is highly used outside of the US (which is why I don't use it...none of my friends do). In the US, we have this aversion to it...I don't know if it is laziness at having to install something, or just an aversion to something not sponsored by apple/google/facebook. I have long seen it suggested that Whatsapp can't take the crown unless it is acquired by or partners with one of the big 3 messaging systems.

I think the future of messaging has to be cross platform, even to your desktop/laptop--you should be able to communicate with the same group of people no matter what device is in front of you. Facebook and Google already do this, Apple does it only if you use all apple products, whatsapp does it using 3rd party software IIRC. Seems silly that there is a different group that I can talk to from my phone to my computer to my tablet, and when I am sitting at a keyboard, it is much easier to talk to people via full two hand typing.

The current systems fall down about like this:
    Apple - Some attempt at recreating the success of BBM in a world where people can have whatever device they want. The lack of cross platform interoperability really hurts them when they don't make up even half the market. It is a godsend for apple-to-apple use, but it is useless if your friend has an android phone and the computer-based communication is useless. Also, I have heard that using imessage from your computer sometimes results in lost/delayed messages. Can send images just like an MMS. Costs money to send to non-apple people (standard messaging rates)

Google - Hangouts (née GChat) is top notch on a computer and on an android phone. Better features and a huge network. Has all sorts of ways to connect, can do facetime better than facetime does facetime (multiple participants, plugins, screen sharing, etc). Unfortunately the iPhone app seems to suck. It still works--you can talk or do video chat--but it seems to have delayed sending problems and random bugs. Can send images phone to phone, but it gets awkwardly sent as a link to a hangout if the recipient is using a PC.

Facebook - Again, huge network of users, very functional iphone and android apps and browser based usage. Although it requires being logged in to facebbok to use it in a browser which might not fly so well at work compared to an idle gmail tab. It is platform agnostic by design--they just want users, don't care what hardware you use--although since facebook stopped being cool, it is going to struggle with younger users. Feature wise...it is pretty weak. No video, and I am not sure how well it handles things like images.

Whatsapp - Fully cross platform on phones, believe it requires a non-official client to use from a PC (but otherwise works). Can send pictures/messages/voice/etc to other people or groups in a pretty good manner, all using phone data. Strong international userbase, but low US participation. No live voice/video chatting.

My guess is that facebook (assuming they stick to their guns on keeping the platform separate) helps them out with a full featured web client, and figures out how to get US users into the network (maybe allowing some FB Chat/Whatsapp cross-chatter). Probably makes sense to funnel some money into video chat as well.

13. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

You make a point I assumed was a dead dog. Do you think its realistic that FB would buy this app and not integrate it into its platform, at least via a common login?

I mean, I'm a FB shareholder but no way do I want to be a user of that creepy empire, and I am a whatsapp user (USA) and would probably stop if I had to have FB logging my shit. Which they will.

Hopefully an alternative will emerge because Whatsapp will go down the rabbit hole.

14. otc

otc Senior member

Well, they haven't done much to mess with instagram...

15. jbarwick

jbarwick Senior member

Whatever happened to Instagram ads? They seemed to have popped up from 4 companies then went away just as quick.