1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Talking stocks, trading, and investing in general

Discussion in 'Business, Careers & Education' started by mikeman, Feb 2, 2011.

1. jbarwick

jbarwick Senior member

Good advice SG! I have a comment on the OP about his issue. If you expect the ETFs to go up in the long run, any price should be a good price as it will go up in your mind. Reserving some cash for dips are nice and I think most people in this thread do that at some point. It is not timing per se as we are already it the market, we are just picking up some more shares on what we perceive as a good deal.

2. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Senior member

yep makes sense. Also keep in mind I'm talking about ETF's not individual stocks so my logic is by their nature they're already diversified, so even when they're 'down', long term they'll always recover unless literally the entire market stays down which is unlikely, so with ETF trading (or rebalancing through adding cash), the idea is to sell of what's up and move the cash to what's down and keep cycling that way because whether it's stocks (Canadian, USA, International), preffered shares, or bonds, or REITS, if one's up, another is down, but overall they all tend to go up and down at various points, with an assumption that they never just go up or down forever.

Anyway, so should I just drop in the cash in full chunks or spread the buyins over a few months? (it's all cash now)
    and I'll keep what like 5% cash set aside?

And I know this is a big question but if I'm basically just doing tax free shelters and own ETF's and don't really care much about the market (sorry guys), does it make sense to throw like 5-10% into say the top 5 stocks like Google, Apple, etc instead of something like a preferred ETF and just play with buying and selling them every few months? like maybe have a list of 15-20 stocks and hold 5 at a time and every few months trade them... or am I basically just playing a slot machine here?

3. tropics

tropics Senior member

i do that but just for fun, mostly i have say 80% vanguard ETFs but i have a 20% etrade account that i consider "play money".
    the down side is there is more risk for this allocation, a single stock loss will give you a big hit, so if it's not something you are interested in playing with, i would stick with etfs. of course if you play it right there is a potential upside too.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2014
  4. RedLeg

RedLeg Senior member

Hope no one was in GTAT. That one caught me by surprise.

They must have gone all in on winning that iPhone 6 screen

5. concealed

concealed Senior member

if you don't have a thoughtful/valid reason why you would buy/sell them then yes you are playing a slot machine

6. djblisk

djblisk Senior member

My old company used to be a competitor of GTAT. They pivoted out of polysilicon production into sapphire. I guess it didn't work out.

7. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

I just lost $1000 on GTAT.

2 words: class action

How the fuck do you put all your chips into 1 win and send your company under when it fails? Truly incredible, especially after there was an earnings report after the apple news.

Shocking mismanagement.

8. WSJ1

WSJ1 Senior member

Really surprised when I saw the news about this today.

Gave no reason when they filed for bankruptcy.

9. djblisk

djblisk Senior member

They had a class action brought against them about 5 years back for stock manipulation.

10. RedLeg

RedLeg Senior member

From what I gather, Apple had given them a ~$580mm pre-payment to ramp up production of certain products. Apparently Apple called that money back because GTAT failed to hit certain performance targets (i.e. Apple wanted out of the deal).

GTAT couldn't pay the money back.

11. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Fuck both of them

12. jbarwick

jbarwick Senior member

I am ready for the market timers to come in and ask if this is the correction they have been waiting for to get out of 100% cash.

13. tropics

tropics Senior member

hi guys. i have some cash stored up.

is this the correction i have been waiting for to get out of 100% cash?

14. djblisk

djblisk Senior member

I still don't understand GOPRO.

15. jbarwick

jbarwick Senior member

Argentina Bonds are the way to go. The security of Bonds with great upside potential!!!!

16. jbarwick

jbarwick Senior member

They are the new Kodak.

17. otc

otc Senior member

I guess I am with you on the skepticism over the meteoric rise of a company showing negative values for the quarter...but they are a simple company that makes a solid product. They continue to dominate a marketplace that is seeing a lot of growth, and they do it not through any sort of monopoly power or regulatory capture, they do it by simply creating products that are hands-down better than the competition (much of which is coming from established players).

Still doesn't quite explain the valuation, but I could see a lot of people liking the story of a simple company that sells physical consumer goods (no websites, apps, monthly service fees, "we'll sell advertising", etc.) that can continue to to put out dominant products.

Compare their product launches to the iPhone. Actually trace a fairly similar path at the beginning (especially if you pair their weird 2005 *film* camera with that weird itunes-branded motorola phone). The first real gopro was cool, but kind of lacking the thing that helps define the genre (no HD-recording, kind of like the orignal iphone being the gateway to widespread mobile internet and yet not even having the then-ubiquitous 3G ability). But unlike apple, they've stayed on top. Upgrades are serious and they are never playing feature-catchup to the competition.

18. jbarwick

jbarwick Senior member

Now that was some red to green move....

19. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

And back to red in the premarket.....

20. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

Dat volatility. My 401k is off 4 points from its high. Individual stocks are doing okay.

I've been too busy to be monitoring my portfolio as closely as I used to over the past two weeks. Good thing cause the emotional turmoil would have been much worse.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2014