1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 11: Any Three (3) Customized Ties from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 11th auction of the year is for any three customized ties from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Talking stocks, trading, and investing in general

Discussion in 'Business, Careers & Education' started by mikeman, Feb 2, 2011.

1. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Stylish Dinosaur

Fair points. In the big picture, though, I don't see the fee structure of reputable no-load funds being such a huge marginal cost in exchange for the security of not jumping into more complex (and often less tightly-regulated) instruments before you really know what you're doing.

2. idfnl

idfnl Stylish Dinosaur

Also, it sounds like he's got like $200 to invest so I don't think fees matters too much at the moment. :satisfied:

3. seeldoger47

seeldoger47 Senior Member

Sorry I should've clarified - stay away from the more exotic (leveraged, inverse, ALPS US Equity High Volatility Put Writting, iPath Global Carbon, etc.) ETFs. They are hazardous to your financial health.

4. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Stylish Dinosaur

+1

5. amerikajinda

amerikajinda Stylish Dinosaur

+1

6. Thearkly

Thearkly Senior Member

No, I have 1 free trades left...lol. I am not doing anything with real money until I get my financial pants tailored. Mock portfolio on google is still a go!

[​IMG]Great people, great information. [​IMG]
    One last thing, which seems to be the thing I should pay attentions to. Is there a sequence through which I should study?

Last edited: Jan 6, 2014

7. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Stylish Dinosaur

Does anyone here actually subscribe to the financial times? Their pricing is a complete rip off.

8. stevent

stevent Distinguished Member

I do the kindle version it's $15 a month not too ridiculous includes lex

I prefer ft over wsj and Barron's though I get those as well as NYT

Edit it also loads at 10pm or so pacific so you can read it night before

Last edited: Jan 6, 2014

9. amerikajinda

Those are all excellent choices. What do you think about Investor's Business Daily?

10. jbarwick

jbarwick Distinguished Member

The only magazine I subscribe to is The Economist. I read a quote that if you are reading hard copy for investment information today, you would have known about it yesterday if you were watching a Bloomberg terminal.

11. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Stylish Dinosaur

Start off with some basic finance/investment books which walk you through the fundamentals of understanding each type of investment and how they function. It will give you a basis for understanding the whys and how's of the markets. Fallow that up with strategy guides such as A random walk down wallstreet and some of Buffetts stuff.

This is all basic, but you need a fundamental understanding before you get into this. You need to understand your purpose before you buy or sell anything.

I am a dividend growth investor, I buy and hold stocks for a long time. I buy on dips in the stock market caused by outside events. Doing so has allowed me to successfully navigate through the financial crisis, the bp oil disaster, the Japanese nuclear disaster, the us government playing chicken and many other dips. If you have a lot of intestinal fortitude you can often profit from events that rattle the market.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2014

12. amerikajinda

In addition to the finance types I previously mentioned that I follow on Twitter (@KeithMcCullough, @andrewrsorkin, @montoyan, @BloombergMrkts, @WSJecon, @MarketBeat, @kathylienfx, @saraeisenFX, @scarletfu, @tomkeene, @matt_levine, @M_C_Klein, @Dawn_Kopecki, @izakaminska, @CardiffGarcia, @chrisadamsmkts, @EricGPlatt, @dealbook, @NadiaSpeaks, @danacimilluca, @weigu, @ReutersMoney, @WealthBulletin, @BeckyQuick, @AaronLucchetti, @PreetaTweets, @morningmoneyben, @carney, @MariaBartiromo, @carlquintanilla, @davidfaber, @EamonJavers, @KateKellyCNBC, @ScottWapnerCNBC, @anoushasakoui, @PaulJDavies, @DanBTIG, @hsilverb, @MS_Econ, @valuewalk, @Ralph_Acampora, @jfahmy, @firoozye, @spbaines, @sspencer_smb, @CarolineConnan, @stt2318, @jpmorganfunds, @ftcommodities, @ftdata, @fastFT, @georgesoros)...

I also follow these guys:

@annaluck, @economistmeg, @Fullcarry, @MichaelKitces, @Lagarde, @stiglitzian, @AswathDamodaran, @mbusigin, @EconomyWatch, @prchovanec, @ukarlewitz, @fwred, @brianmlucey, @groditi, @Kiffmeister, @MarketPlunger, @barnejek, @Dvolatility, @JustinWolfers, @ModeledBehavior, @InterestArb, @mark_dow, @auaurelija, @edwardnh, @yvessmith, @IvanTheK, @RiskReversal, @allstarcharts, @conorsen, @EnisTaner, @Austan_Goolsbee, @neilbarofsky, @SallieKrawcheck, @DavidSchawel, @TMTanalyst, @nanexllc, @ppearlman, @howardlindzon, @EddyElfenbein, @trish_regan, @pkedrosky, @ErikSchatzker, @GrantsPub, @SRuhle, @daniel_kalt, @UBS, @CreditSuisse, @MorganStanley, @GoldmanSachs, @blackrock, @PIMCO, @Carl_C_Icahn, @davidein, @calculatedrisk, @charlesrotblut, @cperruna, @SlopeOfHope, @OptionsHawk, @jackschwager, @AsifSuria, @Greg_Speicher, @vitaliyk, @jennablan, @TechStockRadar, @savitz, @VolSlinger, @BarbarianCap, @fundmyfund, @TFMkts, @Lavorgnanomics, @bondvigilantes, @interfluidity, @Pawelmorski, @sebastiengaly, @TradeDesk_Steve, @BergenCapital, @John_Hempton, @ericjackson, @TheStalwart, @m_delamerced, @herbgreenberg, @samgadjones, @MarioGabelli, @StoneStAdvisors, @MicroFundy, @Retail_Guru, @researchpuzzler, @tradefast, @Street_Insider, @Benzinga, @ReformedBroker, @abnormalreturns, @HedgeFundRisk, @AllAboutAlpha, @zerohedge, @footnoted, @ritholtz, @StockJockey, @Hedgeye, @bespokeinvest, @MebFaber, @LongShortTrader, @CapitalObserver, @marketfolly, @hedgefundinvest

Am I missing anybody good that I should be following?

You can learn so much just by reading the articles that these guys post (and sometimes even by what they say in 140 characters or less).

Last edited: Jan 7, 2014

13. tropics

tropics Distinguished Member

EPZM... boom!

14. seeldoger47

seeldoger47 Senior Member

Didn't realize you became a value investor.

15. stevent

stevent Distinguished Member

:slayer::slayer::slayer::slayer::slayer::slayer::slayer::slayer::slayer::slayer::slayer::slayer::slayer::slayer::slayer::slayer::slayer::slayer::slayer::slayer::slayer::slayer::slayer::slayer::slayer::slayer::slayer::slayer::slayer::slayer::slayer::slayer::slayer::slayer::slayer::slayer::slayer::slayer::slayer::slayer::slayer::slayer::slayer::slayer::slayer::slayer::slayer::slayer::slayer::slayer::slayer::slayer::slayer::slayer::slayer::slayer::slayer::slayer::slayer::slayer::slayer::slayer::slayer::slayer::slayer::slayer::slayer::slayer::slayer::slayer::slayer::slayer::slayer::slayer::slayer::slayer::slayer::slayer::slayer::slayer::slayer::slayer::slayer::slayer::slayer::slayer:

Very beautiful morning today

Never really enjoyed it, already feel a bit overloaded now

True to some extent, though FT is similar to Economist (which I get as well) in terms of analysis. Don't have access to bloomberg terminal anyways

Wish FT had more coverage, you can't just read FT as it doesn't have enough info.

In general though think most helpful stuff is like the Baker avenue market sentiment email as it providesquick and clear info that has usually been pretty spot on for me at least