Talking stocks, trading, and investing in general

Discussion in 'Business, Careers & Education' started by mikeman, Feb 2, 2011.

1. jbarwick

jbarwick Senior member

Cramer hasn't had the best history in stocks but I do agree he does explain some basic items well if you can keep up.

2. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

He talks fast as shit. He ran one hell of a hedge fund in his day but some of his picks are hit and miss. He simplifies some sectors too much, especially technology.

Another good show on CNBC is Fast Money, I like the way they break down the trades.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2014
  3. seeldoger47

seeldoger47 Senior member

I'll save you a bunch of time and money - don't mess with mutual funds.

Don't do that.

No he didn't - he happened to load up on risk during an unprecedented global liquidity expansion and then cashed out at the trend's peak in '01. Not really hard to post great numbers that way.

Also don't watch Fast Money and don't read Zerohedge.

4. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

What news websites do you guys rely on?

5. jbarwick

jbarwick Senior member

I always have a tab open for CNBC but just for news. I am a boglehead guy in my investing mantra. I'd love for @seeldoger47 to offer some advice than just bashing a members point of view without any backup of his own ideas. Cramer was able to use leverage and big $ to move the markets in the 80's prior to online trading. After making some money he got out of that business and CNBC decided to pay him a lot of money to ramble so that is what he continues to do.

6. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Hmmm... suggesting he not buy a mutual fund... why?

You have a very limited perspective on Cramer's hedge fund. He had a 24% avg annual return over 14 years. And your claim that he cashed out on a peak? He retired from the fund but it continued. Not really hard... hmmm... I dunno dude... do you control $300m of other people's money? I can't imagine it was that easy.

And why do you suggest not watching fast money?

7. stevent

stevent Senior member

CNBC shows are really only good if you don't understand financials, I have it on some mornings randomly and their analysis is just an analyst report maybe delivered a little cleaner. Cramer has decent reasoning but I wouldn't really follow his stock pics

zerohedge is not bad, some good content in there

8. amerikajinda

amerikajinda Senior member

I watch Mad Money nightly and fast money and I have mutual funds! I think your advice is solid.

You just gotta take everything you watch on TV or read on the Internet with a grain of salt.

I follow a bunch of finance guys on Twitter.... @KeithMcCullough, @andrewrsorkin, @montoyan, @BloombergMrkts, @WSJecon, @MarketBeat, @kathylienfx, @saraeisenFX, @scarletfu, @tomkeene, @matt_levine, @M_C_Klein, @Dawn_Kopecki, @izakaminska, @CardiffGarcia, @chrisadamsmkts, @EricGPlatt, @dealbook, @NadiaSpeaks, @danacimilluca, @weigu, @ReutersMoney, @WealthBulletin, @BeckyQuick, @AaronLucchetti, @PreetaTweets, @morningmoneyben, @carney, @MariaBartiromo, @carlquintanilla, @davidfaber, @EamonJavers, @KateKellyCNBC, @ScottWapnerCNBC, @anoushasakoui, @PaulJDavies, @DanBTIG, @hsilverb, @MS_Econ, @valuewalk, @Ralph_Acampora, @jfahmy, @firoozye, @spbaines, @sspencer_smb, @CarolineConnan, @stt2318, @jpmorganfunds, @ftcommodities, @ftdata, @fastFT, @georgesoros etc. etc.

9. seeldoger47

Mutual funds, even those 'Smart-Betas', are closet indexers with a rich fee structure. He'd be much better off in ETF's.

10. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

I see. You should have mentioned an ETF before, it would have made more sense than just a curt 'dont do that'.

11. seeldoger47

He said he was reading a book on mutual funds? So I gave him my advice regarding Mutual Funds. Don't see why one would conflate Mutual Funds and ETFs.

12. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

And for somebody who is just starting out, has little to invest, and admits to having a very limited understanding of equity investing, markets, and the mechanics of brokerage accounts, the problem with no-load index funds is what, exactly? Trying to invest or trade in ETF's is superior how?

13. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/conflate

14. seeldoger47

I read books, scholarly articles, research reports, and maybe a few hedge fund's letter to investors. Once in a while I'll read the FT, either the paper or their alphaville blog.

15. seeldoger47

If you are being sold beta, why overpay for it? Trading ETF's is misguided. If I were him, I would be trying to construct a portfolio in the vain of Ray Dalio's All Weather Portfolio and Harry Browne's Permanent Portfolio. If trading is what he wants to do he should speculate in the FX market.