• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Talking stocks, trading, and investing in general

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Last edited:

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Another day-trade win today with CAMT.

In and out within 3 minutes (TWSS).

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
GF if you don't mind me asking, what sized portfolio are you day trading with. Actually if you don't want to mention a $ amount, what % of your total portfolio is you fun account?

The whole reason I ask is because playing around with 1% of your total portfolio (whatever that may be) and getting a score on a 5% gainer means you increased your total portfolio value by .05% which means the Dow/S&P could hit that in a day. But if you are risking a larger portion like say 20% that is a huge gamble but also allows for huge reward.

I will say my heart couldn't take that but being able to increased your portfolio 50% a year on some good calculated gambles is enticing.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I will say my heart couldn't take that but being able to increased your portfolio 50% a year on some good calculated gambles is enticing.

Enticing = lose money.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
FUUUUUUUCK

I cannot unwind this EPZM trade. I had to triple down once it fell 40% and I can't get it to float again. I don't want to drop anymore money in this, but I'm getting frustrated especially since I could have gotten out even twice already. I'm being a dumbass but I feel like I can turn this into a win and then every day it gets set back. I need to do the smart thing here and just exit. But I wont.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score

FUUUUUUUCK

I cannot unwind this EPZM trade. I had to triple down once it fell 40% and I can't get it to float again. I don't want to drop anymore money in this, but I'm getting frustrated especially since I could have gotten out even twice already. I'm being a dumbass but I feel like I can turn this into a win and then every day it gets set back. I need to do the smart thing here and just exit. But I wont.

Apologies for using your bad luck as a teaching/preaching moment, but that's exactly the problem with getting too caught up on "winning" or "losing" your bet on a particular stock - you start making decisions based on "making it back to even" or "locking in gains" rather than just deciding where the best place for your money to be today is. You can't spend winners and losers. You can spend what your net gains across all of your holdings are. If you have $10K sitting in stock X, the only question (tax management aside) that matters is whether as of today the potential returns on that $10K are better in stock X or some other stock. Whether that position in stock X was worth $8000 or $14,000 last week is completely irrelevant.

But good luck - I hope it swings back up for you. :fonz:

Last edited:

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

GF if you don't mind me asking, what sized portfolio are you day trading with.  Actually if you don't want to mention a $ amount, what % of your total portfolio is you fun account?

The whole reason I ask is because playing around with 1% of your total portfolio (whatever that may be) and getting a score on a 5% gainer means you increased your total portfolio value by .05% which means the Dow/S&P could hit that in a day.  But if you are risking a larger portion like say 20% that is a huge gamble but also allows for huge reward.

I only just really started day trading like this very recently, so it's hard to say what my pattern is.

But today, for example, I bought 5,000 shares of CAMT at $4.40 and sold it three minutes later at $4.45 for a profit of a little over $230 (~ 1% gain). If I had held on to it longer, I could have sold it for a profit of around $1,500, since shares hit $4.70+ for a good two hours earlier today.

Depending on the share price of the stock I'm trading and how much volume it trades, I bet more or less.

I also have margin trading capabilities, so I can bet significantly larger sums of money.

Last edited:

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Apologies for using your bad luck as a teaching/preaching moment, but that's exactly the problem with getting too caught up on "winning" or "losing" your bet on a particular stock - you start making decisions based on "making it back to even" or "locking in gains" rather than just deciding where the best place for your money to be today is. You can't spend winners and losers. You can spend what your net gains across all of your holdings are. If you have $10K sitting in stock X, the only question (tax management aside) that matters is whether as of today the potential returns on that $10K are better in stock X or some other stock. Whether that position in stock X was worth $8000 or $14,000 last week is completely irrelevant.

But good luck - I hope it swings back up for you. :fonz:

I play the market with 2 minds... with some moves I think like a trader, with most others I think like an investor. I've got plenty of long term plays where I'm spreading it across a group of safe plays I think will outperform. Then I keep some cash set aside for trades. And with trades you better believe I am after a win, whether that's right or wrong mentality, I've had it for over 2 decades and I don't see myself changing. I was day trading as soon as online trading was possible. Before then I had to put up with a broker.

Honestly, if I didn't have a high level of certainty EPZM would recover and turn me a profit I would have already sold. I'm just hoping I'm right, which I think I will be in this case.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I also have margin trading capabilities, so I can bet significantly larger sums of money.

When you get burned on margin, you'll stop using it.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Can't tell if your reply is serious, but I've seen a couple of really smart people get completely turned upside down on stupid margin plays.

So I won't harp on it, but idfnl's advice is certainly tempered by experience.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads