1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Talking stocks, trading, and investing in general

Discussion in 'Business, Careers & Education' started by mikeman, Feb 2, 2011.

1. amerikajinda

amerikajinda Senior member

fwiw I picked up 700 shares of SLW late last week (Silver Wheaton - the largest precious metal streaming company in the world).

This article from yesterday says now's the time to buy Silver Wheaton:

http://seekingalpha.com/article/1942801-is-now-the-time-to-buy-silver-wheaton

2. jbarwick

jbarwick Senior member

I am taking that continue to put money in path regardless of what happens. Hopefully it corrects in the next two weeks so my end of the month dump into new purchases is at a discount from today.

3. amerikajinda

my BIIB is up 37.87% from when I picked it up in early July :slayer:

MA is a good play

4. arnathor

arnathor Senior member

How much money should one initially start investing? $1000?

5. jbarwick

jbarwick Senior member

Really depends on where you invest it. IRA, Roth IRA, 401(k), brokerage account, etc. Fees (per trade or maintenance fees) tend to eat at small balances quicker. So if you pay say $7 per trade, a buy and a sell will cost you $14 which is 1.4% of your balance before you make a cent on the trade.

401(k)'s tend to not have per transaction fees but maintenance fees yearly and some IRA's have you start with a particular amount before you can open an account.

Personally I started with $1,000 and Scottrade gave me 3 free trades and I made 5% on my first free trade. But as your account grows, fees don't eat your balance as much and you just play around like the rest of us....gambling on if LULU makes women's back sides look better and thus worth a purchase or if a dip on TSLA will lead to some growth down the road. Since you aren't betting your entire life savings (I am guessing) you can be a little more reckless early on.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  6. amerikajinda

TSLA up over 15% today - you still a Tesla shareholder?

7. kjamesuvic

kjamesuvic Well-Known Member

Lululemon took a huge tumble the last couple days. What are your opinions going long a hundred shares or so and possibly long a few calls for safety? I can't really see it going any lower. They have pretty strong multiples compared to their competitors and with three major pull backs in the past year it could be a steal.

8. kjamesuvic

kjamesuvic Well-Known Member

Check that. Long a few 'puts.'

9. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

Bac is up in the premarket after the earnings release.

10. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

Just voted for apple to buy back more than 50b for 2014, as proposed by mr Carl Icahn.

The board recommended we vote against.

:slayer:

GIMME MY MONIES!

Last edited: Jan 15, 2014
  11. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Damn right. TSLA baby, TSLA.

BAC baby, BAC. I'm up 200%+ on this baby. I think this is a safe bet to hit 20 in the next 60 days.

MA up another $8 today. XLNX is turning into a solid trade. DB's move is sustained.

12. SkinnyGoomba

Revenues were up, which is nice.

13. stevent

stevent Senior member

Pretty good so far this year, after today up 7% already overall, best start I've had ever for January

Just hoping Goldman surprises tomorrow

Last edited: Jan 15, 2014
  14. amerikajinda

Nice. I'm only up 0.7% ytd. :foo:

15. stevent

stevent Senior member

Got lucky since I'm 35% bank stocks then had good positions in MU, LNG, EPZM, AMRN, PANW

Just want AAPL to go up

And need to unload VALE but still have faith. Thoughts on them?

16. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Although I don't have a precise means to calculate across all my accounts, that figure seems about right for me to. I am guessing 7% too. EPZM made a big difference, as well as PCYC. No big losers yet, fingers crossed.

Best start of the year I can recall. I'm heavy banks and biotech this year. I don't know how long I'll stay this way, but its been the winning formula so far.

17. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

Banks will definitely be a winning sector this year.

I'm looking for an ETF for Ibanks with cap markets businesses but all the ones I've seen so far are overweight on regional banks.

Maybe ill just have to pick a couple stocks. Definitely BAC and I'm interested in JPM but all their recent regulatory troubles have me concerned. Though I do find it interesting that the stock is doing well despite the fact that they will have to pay 20b+ in fines which will hit their EPS figures.. Color me confused.

18. stevent

stevent Senior member

I actually bought Jpm right before all the fines. It's priced in already and they had money set aside for it.

Most of fines are for bs charges anyways, all banks should just sue SEC for failure to regulate and all fines they are charging should be put back on SEC (5)

19. SkinnyGoomba

The fines are ridiculous, politically motivated stupidity.

Let the banks earn and repay the shareholders through dividends. The shareholders have taken a beating through loss of payments on dividends and reduced payments. Most of them stepped up to the plate and took on messy balance sheets through forced acquisitions.

20. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

The JPM fines are built into the price. It shouldn't have an impact.

I've been holding my JPM position for almost 2 years, I'm up 50% on it. I see no reason to sell it now, I think there is upside.