• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Talking stocks, trading, and investing in general

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
RIMM :fu:

Wish I bought that **** when I wanted to in November -- woulda been up 25% by now!!!!!

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

RIMM :fu:

Wish I bought that **** when I wanted to in November -- woulda been up 25% by now!!!!!

Yeah but then you would own RIMM which is almost as ****** as owning a Blackberry...

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't think being up 25% can be considered ******.

Also, BB7 is ******, indeed. BB10 is not.

Everyone thinks rim needs to steal significant market share from apple and google to succeed. No. They just need to not fail catastrophically. The expectations are so low it's ridiculous.

I'm just worried that people are buying the rumors and will sell once they announce BB10 on January 30th, much like what happens with apple. The main difference, though, is that these aren't really rumors with BB10. It's receiving significant praise and interest from developers and carriers. Not to mention, they've made it extremely easy for developers to simply port their apple and android apps over.

We shall see what happens :)

Last edited:

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
But are the business users going to stick around? Many of them have already switched to providing other devices (or allowing BYOD), or at least laid the groundwork for it.

It's similar to Nokia problem...Nokia kicked ass. Then the iPhone came out and lots of people left for the apple product, but some people liked the Nokia stuff better (lot of S60 users out there, especially in Europe) so they stayed with Nokia. But Nokia said "oh no!" and did their best to make iPhone/Android knockoffs...MeeGo and then Win7. All of the consumers who stuck with Nokia lost the very **** they stuck with Nokia for--now the choice was to go iPhone/Android or go with Nokia's sub-par version of the same thing. Guess where all of the consumers went?

Leon Stuij

Reaction score
If you're looking to invest, you should read books on it.

There are multiple styles of investing:

1. value investing
This is what Warren Buffett does. It means you buy low and hold.

2. Technical analysis. This is investing for nerds. It is highly technical and I wouldn't recommend it, because it feels like you know what you're doing, but your just speculating imo.

3. Indexing. This is what I would recommend. People who index believe that they can't beat the market, so they decide to join it.

What style you should choose depends on if you believe in EMH (efficient market hypothesis). EMH says that all future information in a stock is already in the price of the stock. Example: If you know some company will buy a lot of boeing airplanes, then other investors will know about that too and will buy a lot of boeing stock. This in turn will raise the price of the stock so much that it will cancel out the positive effect of the new planes profit and you won't make money.

Whether EMH is true or not is quite diffcult to answer. Some people think it is and some think it is not.

Let's say you think EMH is bullshit and you can make money out of the market. Let's say you choose to do what Bufett does.

Now buffett spend a crap load of time working on investing. He knows the ins and outs because he was a financial analyst early in his life. Because of that he knew quite a lot about stock and bonds.

Buffett has read yearly reports on companies, and spent a huge amount of time doing that. Buffett is one of a handful of people really making a lot of money out of investing.

Now you can't do that. You've got full'time jobs, and you don't have what it takes.

Furthermore, if you think a stock will go up , because the market sector will go up you can be terribly wrong.

Example: when cars, became popular and everybody bought them, not many people have profited because of that. Only one company exists today that still makes cars since the beginning.

But you guys aren't investing. You are speculating. You're not sure if something might go up, but it might and that's what speculating is.

If you don't have much time to invest, and want a 'relatively' safe approach to investing, I will suggest to you index investing.

I can explain what that is, but I'd rather you read books on it.

Read, the four pillars of investing and common sense on mutual funds. That should cover it. If you have any questions just ask me.

Cheers,

Leon from Holland

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

But are the business users going to stick around? Many of them have already switched to providing other devices (or allowing BYOD), or at least laid the groundwork for it.

It's similar to Nokia problem...Nokia kicked ass. Then the iPhone came out and lots of people left for the apple product, but some people liked the Nokia stuff better (lot of S60 users out there, especially in Europe) so they stayed with Nokia. But Nokia said "oh no!" and did their best to make iPhone/Android knockoffs...MeeGo and then Win7. All of the consumers who stuck with Nokia lost the very **** they stuck with Nokia for--now the choice was to go iPhone/Android or go with Nokia's sub-par version of the same thing. Guess where all of the consumers went?

My belief is that the current businesses that rely on BB will continue to do so and BB will slowly gain some more traction with the regular consumers. I don't think BB10 will be a smash hit that becomes a game changer, but I do believe it will be moderately successful and RIM will do well with it.

TiberiasUSA

Reaction score
For all you folks with 401(k)s, what was you rate of return for 2012?

14.1% here.. basically tracked the S&P.
No 401k, IRA did decent for 2012 a little more than 19%

Mostly invested in dividend stocks, MRK, BP, OAK, JPM

Holding a small position in MRK(shoulda bought more, ran up 5% in a few days) and BP rest in cash, I think with debt ceiling and recent highs, in the next few months may see a pullback, so took some profits and hoping to buy on a dip

gilwood

Reaction score
Hpq is on the move up. Meanwhile aapl is demonstrating gravity.

ac21686

Reaction score
Letting a little ride but I'm for the most part out of CLSN -- +120% since August. I'm leaning towards good results from their trial set to be released any day now but a failure would sink the stock a good 60-70% at least. Too many ridiculous Seeking Alpha pumping articles and the hyperbole surrounding the stock at this point spooked me.

Last edited:

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Buffetts style in more recent years definitely strikes me as being dividend-growth much more than value investing.

Curious if XOM will take back the #1 spot in terms of Market cap for an American based company.

Cantabrigian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
His style in recent years definitely strikes me as being renting his name / reputation on very favorable terms (for him) much more than value investing.

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Goddamn aapl makes me want to **** my wrists. Unbelievable.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads