• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Talking stocks, trading, and investing in general

vezatron

Reaction score
I haven't followed aapl and only looked at it because of the thread. Three indicators go bear and I would dump a position in any holding. It is not a guarantee but helps with probabilities for success.

AriGold

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

How can you expect to see the future by looking in the rear-view mirror?

because other people are looking at the same indicators. it's somewhat of a self fulfilling prophecy. Have you ever tried TA before?

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I had an experienced trader help with a purchase before. They can be helpful in the near term, which can be helpful to a long term buyer such as myself. Better cost basis is a better cost basis.

seeldoger47

Reaction score
Why would I use TA? Everyone uses it. I will never make money using TA for I'm not smarter than the professionals. Don't get me wrong, I read charts, for they tell a story. This story helps me understand what might happen in the future. However things like: bollinger bands, RSI, MACD, stochastics, or moving averages don't really tell me much of anything, and to be honest, muddles my thinking more than anything.

Last edited:

AriGold

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Why would I use TA? Everyone uses it. I will never make money using TA for I'm not smarter than the professionals. Don't get me wrong, I read charts, for they tell a story. This story is help understand what might happen in the future. However things like: bollinger bands, RSI, MACD, stochastics, or moving averages don't really tell me much of anything, and to be honest, muddles my thinking more than anything.

Then you've answered your own question :)

Cantabrigian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Why would I use TA? Everyone uses it. I will never make money using TA for I'm not smarter than the professionals. Don't get me wrong, I read charts, for they tell a story. This story helps me understand what might happen in the future. However things like: bollinger bands, RSI, MACD, stochastics, or moving averages don't really tell me much of anything, and to be honest, muddles my thinking more than anything.

You can separate technical indicators into two camps - voodoo and something that tells a story.

Fib levels and Elliott waves (and maybe DeMark if I could every understand them) are voodoo. They could only potentially work if (1) you believe in magic or (2) enough other people believe in them.

MACDs, RSIs are a way of neatly looking at one particular storyline (to awkwardly use your analogy) in charts. Something like Bollinger bands are based on a statistical observation about how things tend to move.

I have zero involvement with equities except when I can't help it but I understand that TA can be considerably less compelling when you can have a reasonable claim to know what something is worth.

With things that carry only a vague conception of fair value (currencies, for instance) and can exhibit considerable deviation from that, price action is news. And some technical indicators provide an intelligent shorthand for talking about price action.

Last edited:

AriGold

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ true story bro. anyways noone can sustain above average gains for a 10 year period right? 90% of fund managers don't beat the market?

I pulled those stats out of my asshole but i've heard many things like that.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Was worried about AGNC for a bit there...but decided to buy some more and now its back above 30 again and still paying dividends.

guyver00

Reaction score
W. T. F. What happened today? No electricity until a few hours ago, checked Google finance and seeing green everywhere. :D

Khayembii Communique

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What's everyone thinking about GLUU? I got in at 2.19, though I didn't put in that much. I might buy more in the next few weeks, currently at around 2.50 but I think it's pretty highly undervalued.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads