1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Talking stocks, trading, and investing in general

Discussion in 'Business, Careers & Education' started by mikeman, Feb 2, 2011.

1. otc

otc Senior member

Didn't everybody already answer that that question a few pages back? Or was it in one of the similar threads.

Seems like it was pretty tough to make bad decisions this year.

2. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

GF might beg to differ.

3. tropics

tropics Senior member

401K = 15.62 %. Winner = FLMVX 24.24 %. Loser = LZEMX 3.36%.
    etrade play account = 4.34%. Winner = AZN 20.49%. Loser = RAX -38.44% :-(.

4. amerikajinda

amerikajinda Senior member

Exactly -- can't remember a year when my top five best-performing stock holdings are up over 38% and my top five best-performing realized stock picks this year earned 62%!

Last edited: Dec 3, 2013
  5. jbarwick

jbarwick Senior member

TSLA is up over 10%...Musk must have sneezed for that roller coaster to continue. Also AMZN is up to $390. I was scared to buy that thing in the 160s a couple years back.

Amerika - How is you Hedge Fund Strategies portion of your portfolio doing? Seems like they will have a tough time beating the market and I doubt the fees on that bad boy are anything less than 2%.

6. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

Reports are they were cleared of any manufacturing/design defects in the fires that got so much press attention.

7. Connemara

Connemara Senior member

Hey guise, want to talk about my Vanguard Total Market Index?!

8. amerikajinda

Well if your VTI accounts for 55% of your portfolio, and you also have VEU making up 30%, VIG making up 10% and BND making up 5% then you're on the right track!

9. amerikajinda

Mine's up 35.21% since I bought it (+23.34% ytd) but you're right that a lot of hedge funds are lagging the market. 0.74% fees. IVAEX.

https://www.ivyfunds.com/products-performance/mutual-funds/ivy-funds/asset-strategy/i/473

It's a specialty mutual fund that my brokerage identifies as "hedge fund strategies" in my sector distribution chart. They seem to short a lot of things so maybe that's why?

Last edited: Dec 3, 2013
  10. Cantabrigian

Cantabrigian Senior member

Imma just leave this here.

http://www.cfapubs.org/doi/pdf/10.2469/faj.v70.n1.2

My Top 10 Peeves
    Clifford S. Asness

The author discusses a list of peeves that share three characteristics: (1) They are about investing or finance
    in general, (2) they are about beliefs that are very commonly held and often repeated, and (3) they are wrong
    or misleading and they hurt investors.

11. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

Seems like a decent article, but that has to be one of the most forced and ill-suited references to Andrew Marvell's To His Coy Mistress in the history of everything. :)

12. Cantabrigian

Cantabrigian Senior member

Truth.

But given his background he's either a surprisingly good writer or amazingly accepting of edits.

13. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Finally unwound that EPZM trade, turned out well. I ended up with a decent return on it with 20 free shares. I'm up to 60 free shares thru day/short term trades here. There is great potential here once they get to late stage trials.

I closed AIG yesterday with a 68% return, kept part of the profit in shares. I rotated the rest of the profit into HIG. I also further trimmed WY and C. Lastly dumped a loser in NES, lost 50%.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2013
  14. hye

hye Well-Known Member

Hartford is rated a Buy with a 12 month target of $39 so that should be alright.

15. seeldoger47

seeldoger47 Senior member

Attached is James Montier's latest news letter. For what its worth - probably very little - I consider him one of the best analyst in the business.

Also Hugh Hendry's latest letter to investors was released this week. As much as I respect his eclectic mind and formidable understanding of economic/financial history; he just turned bullish, despite being bearishly dogmatic since '05, without admitting he was wrong. The human mind never ceases to amaze me.

16. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

WHERES MY FREAKING DECEMBER RALLY, MR MARKET?!?!

17. jbarwick

jbarwick Senior member

It's teaching you not to play with margin.

1 person likes this.
  18. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

I don't hold any margin debt right now..

19. seeldoger47

seeldoger47 Senior member

Good - that's a rather crowded position.

1 person likes this.