• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Talking stocks, trading, and investing in general

greekgeek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice, will give Schwab a whirl. Fidelity App is nice too, use it for retirement accts. Need to download Vanguard have only used the web.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I use schwab for the investor checking account which meant I used their brokerage a bit (which is exactly what they want you to do!)

It seemed fine?

I have my Roth IRA at TD Ameritrade, so probably a net improvement to me--get them all in one place. I make like 3 transactions a year so not a big deal. Biggest annoyance will be figuring out where on the website you do a backdoor Roth.

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Vanguard app is garbage so I usually use the website. It may have improved but being an early user of it when it was bad made me not go back

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Big if true, random bank analysts.

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
EconTalk had one of these AI doomsayers either last week or the week before on the podcast. I still don' see how AI goes from an algo to killing you. What was discussed in the podcast was very science fiction sounding and maybe it could work at some point, I am just too much of an idiot to understand.

brokencycle

Reaction score
EconTalk had one of these AI doomsayers either last week or the week before on the podcast. I still don' see how AI goes from an algo to killing you. What was discussed in the podcast was very science fiction sounding and maybe it could work at some point, I am just too much of an idiot to understand.

You're not: it is just finance bros who think they are smart and understand technology that are the idiots.

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You're not: it is just finance bros who think they are smart and understand technology that are the idiots.
I don’t think this guy was a finance bro but the one part I agreed with was some AI would trick a human into helping it and the AI would kill that human somehow.

Sounds like I am agreeing with him but it would be because the computer says to drink cyanide or something

brokencycle

Reaction score
I don’t think this guy was a finance bro but the one part I agreed with was some AI would trick a human into helping it and the AI would kill that human somehow.

Sounds like I am agreeing with him but it would be because the computer says to drink cyanide or something

That's an interesting take. There was an article a few months ago about a guy getting fired at Google because he was convinced the AI was sentient and refused to let it go even after the larger committee said no.

The question would be why am AI would do something like your scenario though.

I'm just honestly tired of hearing all these pop layman takes about AI. I work in tech and a lot of what we do is interrelated and certainly driving a lot of business for us. There's a lot of cool innovation, but the popular media stories are just so often so wrong.

Plus, chatgpt does not really impress me in the same breathless reporting goes.

My coworker asked me a question the other day, so I gave him an answer that I prefaced with "that's a really hard/complicated question without enough data available to say with certainty, but...." He sent me the chaptgpt answer and it was awful because it didn't answer the question although to a layman it seemed to.

Last edited:

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score

No better way to own the libs than drinking cyanide.

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think I followed the note for the most part. What caught my attention was the author's POV on CFO/FCF, which resonated with me when thinking about individual investors or working within the personal finance planning space, examining income statements of households. Subsequently, determining the tradeoffs in spending and savings to achieve desired outcomes.

Cannot say I knew every single word as I am a very vanilla investor i.e., 401k, IRAs, HSAs and using broad index funds. Tried my hands several years ago trading on Robinhood and got annoyed within a year, closed it, and walked away.

Forwarding this to my brother who on the other hand got into meme stocks like GME. Circling back with him on his positions with this story. Curious to hear where he's at financially per se.

edit:
How Susceptible Are You to the Sunk Cost Fallacy? https://hbr.org/2021/07/how-susceptible-are-you-to-the-sunk-cost-fallacy (I scored a 6)

8 question quiz

Last edited:

greekgeek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think I followed the note for the most part. What caught my attention was the author's POV on CFO/FCF, which resonated with me when thinking about individual investors or working within the personal finance planning space, examining income statements of households. Subsequently, determining the tradeoffs in spending and savings to achieve desired outcomes.

Cannot say I knew every single word as I am a very vanilla investor i.e., 401k, IRAs, HSAs and using broad index funds. Tried my hands several years ago trading on Robinhood and got annoyed within a year, closed it, and walked away.

Forwarding this to my brother who on the other hand got into meme stocks like GME. Circling back with him on his positions with this story. Curious to hear where he's at financially per se.

edit:
How Susceptible Are You to the Sunk Cost Fallacy? https://hbr.org/2021/07/how-susceptible-are-you-to-the-sunk-cost-fallacy (I scored a 6)

8 question quiz
Damn, looks like I am fcked. Scored an 18 on the HBR, highly susceptible. Index funds for me!

I totally recognize some of it (mostly outside investing) but, I'll be damned if isn't difficult to overcome on a case by case example.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads