• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Talking stocks, trading, and investing in general

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One of the board members at my wife's company asked about where they keep money. Thankfully not SVB but he recommended they have multiple accounts and recommended Wells Fargo. Made me chuckle.

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did that guy develop an app that disables your ability to toggle the caps lock?
On the one hand the feds clearly did the right thing for the economy and average Americans -- because a massive nationwide bank run would have ruined everybody's day -- on the other hand a bunch of absolute wankstains like this guy and David Sacks are going to be saying: "See? See! I told you!"

brokencycle

Reaction score
On the one hand the feds clearly did the right thing for the economy and average Americans -- because a massive nationwide bank run would have ruined everybody's day -- on the other hand a bunch of absolute wankstains like this guy and David Sacks are going to be saying: "See? See! I told you!"

How does this help average Americans (excluding those that wouldn't be paid due to frozen accounts)? And why would this have led to a nationwide bank run?

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How does this help average Americans (excluding those that wouldn't be paid due to frozen accounts)? And why would this have led to a nationwide bank run?
Short answer, the US made the decision long ago to have a diversified financial system with small, medium and large banks, rather than just a few dominant institutions. SVB went to the wall not because of fraud or malfeasance but because, while still technically solvent, they ran out of liquidity. If the govt. had allowed SVB depositors (as opposed to the equity and debt holders) to get hosed, the only rational response for people with their money in any other local or regional banks would have been to move it to the big money centers like Chase, BoA etc. that are (rightly) regarded as too big to ever be let fail. This would have killed dozens or even hundreds of other local and regional banks that are perfectly viable in the medium and long term as long as all their depositors don't bail at once right now. If that had happened (still could of course) the govt. would be on the hook for far more in deposit insurance payouts overall than whatever the cost is of making up the shortfall between SVB's current assets and liabilities (probably somewhere between 12% and 15% of its roughly $200B securities holdings.) OK, medium answer.

venividivicibj

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
FrHSCu7XgAA1k87

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's getting a bit spicy out there.

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

brokencycle

Reaction score
Also, I love this chart which goes back to a post I made a few months ago about how all these sky are falling executives are just afraid of being the only out there saying the economy is going to be fine.

The fed economists are forecasting Q1 to be higher than the execs out there.

FrQvAHnWIAcWz1Z

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads