1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Talking stocks, trading, and investing in general

Discussion in 'Business, Careers & Education' started by mikeman, Feb 2, 2011.

1. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

Er, if he's asking what his cost basis is per share, that doesn't really tell you anything until you know how many shares he owns.

2. CalTex

CalTex Senior member

BB10 launches tomorrow. :slayer:

3. otc

otc Senior member

It also doesn't really matter.

I mean...it might tell you a bit about his philosophy, but barring some tax advantages, a share is worth what it is priced at right now. If it goes up 5% tomorrow, then he just made 5% more.

His purchase price is a sunk cost and has no bearing on what the share is worth now or on whether or not it is a good investment for the future. I can only assume that since he still holds the shares, he thinks that they will be worth more in the future than they are now.

4. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

Not sure what you're getting at.. if we know how many shares of BAC he owns and his cost basis per share, we essentially know how big a portion of his portfolio is.. hence why people are hinting that it's distasteful to ask for such information.

5. djh

djh Senior member

He's agreeing with you.

Cost basis doesn't matter and really shouldn't affect your decisions on whether to buy or sell (or continue to hold) a stock. If it's going nowhere, cut it. If its all good, let it ride.

6. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

I understand that, but what I'm getting at is that asking how much someone's cost basis per share is isn't a tasteless exercise in deducing how big that person's position is because it doesn't tell you anything until you know how many shares he owns as well.

I'm referring to the below:

Last edited: Jan 29, 2013
  7. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

No.

Asking how many shares you own is to asking someone what they make.

I asked what the share price was, not how many shares. I wasn't fishing for how big a position SG had. Folks post their share price all the time, its pretty innocuous. I even posted it above, bought BAC at $5. AAPL at 232, WY at 26, bla bla. We're free not to share it, I'm always happy to, win or lose and don't mind admitting I'm curious.

I've always found this grand privacy around salary a bit comic. My closest friends and I share our salaries openly. I worked for an international company who had an open book policy and had every employee's salary posted on the intranet. It did nothing harmful. I didn't care mine was public, nobody else cared either. I knew what my boss made, my bosses boss, etc. If you work at certain levels in a corporation or non-profit your salary is public information anyway. Public sector jobs also report it at a G level. Athletes too.

Funny how men are more than willing to brag about pussy conquest. To me that seems more private.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2013
  8. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

i predict a sell off and I am exactly 50% sure of my prediction.

9. CalTex

CalTex Senior member

Yeah I agree with you. Hopefully you make enough to compensate for the losses you mentioned.

10. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

This is one stock I so could have bought when it was hot and so glad I did not.

____

I am really :brick: on this one:

http://www.google.com/finance?q=NYSE:DDD

I bought it back in April 2012 at 24, got spooked a few weeks later and sold it at 22. Within weeks it started a steady climb which took it all the way above 70 this month. Fuck, if I only had more guts to stick it out.

In brighter news. My C position which I have been eating shit on for years, buying pre reverse split at $2.50 has almost, and finally broken even. My history is to sell when I get my $ back, but should I ride it for a while?

11. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

Lol. I've lost 8 paycheck's worth of money on AAPL. I do not make enough to compensate for my losses.

If I had bought RIMM when I first wanted to right around Thanksgiving, I would have been up 79% by now.

As for your C position -- sell that motherfucker. Don't get greedy.

12. CalTex

CalTex Senior member

Sorry to hear that frog. I'm sure you'll make it back.

13. CalTex

CalTex Senior member

Double post.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2013
  14. gilwood

gilwood Senior member

Just to clarify, I'm no stock analyst. But C was at 10x the current price just 5 years ago. Now that the housing bubble is over, Greek Euro, and Fiscal Cliff, etc. are over .... Shouldn't it be returning to its former glory??

15. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

Sorry to make such a stink, cost basis does not weigh on my decision making. The decision for me I've always phrased as 'where from here?', meaning with today's information do I continue to hold, buy more or sell.

My reasoning behind taking myself out of the equation here is that I have always wanted to discuss the merits of a stock and do not want buy/sell advice.

16. Pennglock

Pennglock Senior member

No dude. In talking about investing there is a topic that arises called returns, and knowing your basis is kind of key information to that end.

17. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Ya, but there is litigation risk from '08, time it will take for dividend levels to return, European exposure, slow recession recovery.

I'm never going to hold my C shares beyond maybe a 10 or 20% return anyway, I just don't think its the same company as it was as a high flyer.

It just kind of annoys to hold a stock for 5 years and make a 1% return. Greedy, yes, but I want something out of it.

No sweat for me. We're all free to share at our comfort level or what we want out of the thread.

We think different: I like to look what my current return is and trim/sell when it seems like a good win.

Example in point, STX, up 78% as of last week, kept thinking sell but got greedy and it was down 9% after earnings. Granted earnings were good and it may double or more, but shit man 78% in less than a year is a score.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2013
  18. Cantabrigian

Cantabrigian Senior member

Might be worth your while to look at even just quarterly earnings for 2012 vs 2007.

Former glory is out of the question.

19. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Ya, its like a girl that cheats on you. You might try and get a few more taps out of it but know its finished otherwise.

20. vezatron

vezatron Senior member

This is far from over. Interest rates are 0 and will be for the foreseeable future. The big banks are a hair from another mortgage crisis. Raise rates or end easing? Watch it all sink when the free money supply dries up.

Also, there isn't much point in selling C right now. Strong upward channel (down to 38) with ascending 50/200 support.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2013