• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Talking stocks, trading, and investing in general

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Surprised @otc has no thoughts about HTN mining...

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

venividivicibj

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My wife's employer was 7% if you contributed 5% but they went down to 100% match for 5% shortly.

Sounds like a scam.
Who comes up with these weird ratios? Place I'm debating an offer on offers a 2-for-1 match for the first 4% (they give 8% if you put 4%)

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I worked for a couple years in employee benefits and the weird ratios are usually a combination of HR employees working with the 401k provider. If you are lucky, they provide an example in the details but that never seems to help because instead of making the example easy with say a $10K salary, they use some odd close to average salary like, "If Janet makes $34,000 and she saves 7%..."

Some of those benefits brokers used to make $$$ due to relationships with individuals at the company. We had a guy with a 1 man shop who brokered like 2 of our contracts with small ancillary benefits providers so we are not talking the United's and Cigna's of the world. We paid him like $2M a year alone for a month's worth of work. I think they kept him on because the older people in the department loved that they would get a super fancy Christmas wreath and a birthday present from him every year. They would talk about those wreath's for months...

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
The private firm Mrs. Piob worked at for a number of years, their TPA was the majority owner's BIL. The funds all sucked and had huge management fees, I mean, we're talking 4-7% for funds and I can't remember exactly but what I thought was outrageous TPA fees. This went on for the first several years she worked there. In that time I was getting promoted to one of the C-suites, made a fiduciary on our 403b, and learned about this ****. At a Xmas party I took the two minority partners aside and asked them if they were fiduciaries on the plan too. They were so I explained their exposure. I'll be damned if they didn't dump brother Bill in the next year!

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Who comes up with these weird ratios? Place I'm debating an offer on offers a 2-for-1 match for the first 4% (they give 8% if you put 4%)
Mine involved several upgrades over time.

Started at 6/3 (50% match, pretty standard), then they bumped it to 6/4.

Then they bumped to again to 6/5 while also adding a vesting period for new hires.

Looks weird in isolation to have an 84% match, but it makes sense if you know the history of single digit salary % increases.

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My watchlist is bloody red for the past couple of weeks with the overall market down just slightly being held up by the unloved names of the past few years. Can't wait for the Value guys to come out and say "I told you so!"

jcman311

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My watchlist is bloody red for the past couple of weeks with the overall market down just slightly being held up by the unloved names of the past few years. Can't wait for the Value guys to come out and say "I told you so!"
Meh, hasnt been to great either.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Guess which genius decided to make his 2022 backdoor Roth IRA buys at 11AM :slayer:
1641849842079.png

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads