Talking stocks, trading, and investing in general

Discussion in 'Business, Careers & Education' started by mikeman, Feb 2, 2011.

1. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

What I am trying to say is that I dont give a shit about facebook, have no interest and probably never will. Its just a glorified photo sharing and chat site. I generally judge my investments on whether they have anything real under the hood and I use what I see as the barometer.

GOOG... best search engine in the world... very useful, use it all the time. AAPL, great design and quality products, I have an iphone. NKE makes good shoes, I wear them. Starbucks, coffee, I like coffee. Facebook? What, connect with high school friends I could give a shit about anyway? Waste all night in bullshit chit chat? Upload pics of my barbeque and new car? Social gaming? Who the fuck really cares about that? Whats special and great about this? Where is the money in it? So honestly I dont see much of a business because it doesnt interest me, and I may be wrong but I believe people will get bored of it.

To your point as well, having been in the tech industry for almost 20 years, I do happen to have a pretty in depth understanding of the space. Facebook is just a website.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2012

2. linds_15

linds_15 Senior member

@idfnl im not sure how old you are, but you are right that it is a waste of time, but everyone i know and my generation as a whole do waste their time on it. facebook doesn't make that much money, in comparison to other tech titans, but advertising are placing their bets on the younger gen's time spent on that 1 website, and anytime ive heard people talk about the FB value, its all "potential" which people think is huge. thats my thoughts

3. djblisk

djblisk Senior member

What do you guys think of LVS?

Vegas is amazing and getting more popular by the day. If the economy comes back, I don't see how this stock doesn't do well.

4. easy_golfing

easy_golfing Senior member

do you have a link for this?

5. yjeezle

yjeezle Senior member

you fo'serious? facebook makes a ton of $$$ on advertisements.

that being said, IDFNL i do agree to some extent as to facebook's long term survivability. it concerns me when almost a large portion (probably > 90%) of their revenue is generated off of advertisements, especially when search engine titan Google is also experiencing a slowdown in web advertising -- at least Google can profit from ads with the sheer volume of searches that people make from Google. Also, another concern I have is that the other portion of their revenue (credits via social products) is generated largely by Zynga.

as someone also in the tech industry, i think that at some point you do have to go to a "tangible" product to stay relevant or make ways into new market space (similar to what google did with android).

6. yjeezle

yjeezle Senior member

7. otc

otc Senior member

there is some beautiful irony about someone complaining about how facebook is a waste of time while posting on an internet forum, dedicated to clothing, filled with people who spend all night on dumb chit chat while posting photos of their new barbecues and cars.

You may value the content on SF more highly, but its the same shit.

8. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

Yes, we can converse about companies who are not in tech. Lvs is the turnaround stock of the recession. I think it will continue to perform as the economy improves.

9. SkinnyGoomba

Altria meet the street after Lo and Rai missed this week. Looks like today will be crapola as the jobless report is not great.

Any opinions about CHD? The headquarters is local to me, and they've experience tremendous growth in the stock in the past few years. In fact it has gone up 10 fold since '99 according to google finance.

10. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

I think there is logic in your argument. It might take a while to make a profit, but it should do well.

I'm 39. The entire internet bubble was potential, and it was bullshit. Just look at GRPN and its 'potential' (to lose you money)

Right... GOOG, android, etc. When FB does that they make have a chance but otherwise this is hype.

It is the same shit, but SF is not valued at a Gabillion $ unless LA and J are not telling us something. And we are not evaluating SF's potential for investment.

I chuckled at your point though, you're right. I guess what I am saying is who gives a shit about it from the perspective of an investment. Around the fora though, personally the difference for me is that we are all relatively anonymous. I'm not a buyer into the idea of a public page with my shit all over it and intertwining this with my friends.

11. Dbear

Dbear Senior member

IG up slightly more than normal today, approaching it's 52 week high. I suppose it has something to do w/ all the Bank banding together and bidding on the Fed's bailout assets today.

Still not completely sure what this means, I suppose it a good thing. Also, what are people's take on all the banks banding together and competing? This will drive the price up, but is that good for AIG or the government or both or neither?

Last edited: Apr 26, 2012

12. Slopho

Slopho Senior member

Ok, its Noon, here we go.

13. otc

otc Senior member

I'm still hanging onto AGNC despite the drop in the dividend.
    I have increased my position a couple of times at lower prices so while the yield is down to only 16%, I have also benefited from some price appreciation from my entry points.

14. djblisk

djblisk Senior member

What do you guys think of coca cola and their proposed stock split?

15. SkinnyGoomba

I own some KO and I'm happy with the performance of the company. If they think a split is worth the effort, then they should do it. I think stock splits are wasteful and are really just for the I-banks to make a few bucks.