• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Talking stocks, trading, and investing in general

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Its not as strong a company as people make it out to be. All they have is a demographic but that demographic is fickle and when they tire of it, and they will, FB will be like other online presences, overhyped and then transitions into a stable business, but never a juggernaut unless they make brilliant moves and really expand their reach. A cute site with pics of your friends and a bit of bullshit chit chat? Not so much. I have never had a facebook account and dont give a **** about it. I fail to understand why its so popular.

bold explains italics

Slopho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The bottom line with FB is I don't understand how they can justify the valuation. The only way to really make money on this is if they charged for membership, which if they ever did (even $1 a month) I think people would bolt.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
That is the real key.

I understand why it is a popular service. I fail to see why people think it should be worth boatloads of money or even why it has things like the ability to throw a billion dollars at another equally frustrating business model (I can understand why instagram is popular but not why it is worth any money)

FLW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In its defense, FB is more integrated into society than many of its predecessors (MySpace, Friendster, etc.). I think that people like the fact that it generates the interest of social networking without seeming as trivial as others, theoretically leading people to be far less likely to drop it on a whim for a new platform. The conventional wisdom is that an audience of XXX,000,000 people is just too large not to generate money. Facebook could be a strong and profitable company.

That being said, it is overvalued. Strong and profitable does not mean market beating or world dominating. This is hype generated by a thirsty market and droves of people looking for the next AAPL or GOOG. FB is neither and assuming that it is so is done at great peril.

djblisk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Facebook now is too intrusive for its own good and a bit too complicated. When your parents are on facebook, the cool factor is gone.
I think Facebook out thought the proverbial room. People loved it because of its simplicity, ease of use, and unintrusiveness yet ability to connect friends from all over. Instead of making it more desirable, facebook has made itself less desirable. A lot of people use twitter now.

Slopho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

In its defense, FB is more integrated into society than many of its predecessors (MySpace, Friendster, etc.). I think that people like the fact that it generates the interest of social networking without seeming as trivial as others, theoretically leading people to be far less likely to drop it on a whim for a new platform. The conventional wisdom is that an audience of XXX,000,000 people is just too large not to generate money. Facebook could be a strong and profitable company.
That being said, it is overvalued. Strong and profitable does not mean market beating or world dominating. This is hype generated by a thirsty market and droves of people looking for the next AAPL or GOOG. FB is neither and assuming that it is so is done at great peril.

1. Do you have a Facebook account?

2. Would you pay to use Facebook if there was a free alternative?

Dbear

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Guys, social networking is not going away. I think the older demographic are the ones that tend to "not understand FB". Every kid has a FB. All my friends have FBs. FB is essentially the biggest photo sharing website in the world. Sharing what you do and pictures is a part of life and will not suddenly go away.

Instagram is worth that much because gathered like 40 million users in a short amount of time. Google had an opportunity to buy instagram and integrate it into google+ as the killer app to rival facebook. Facebook bought it as a defense mechanism and also to remain dominant in the photo-sharing market.

Slopho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Guys, social networking is not going away.  I think the older demographic are the ones that tend to "not understand FB".  Every kid has a FB.  All my friends have FBs.  FB is essentially the biggest photo sharing website in the world.  Sharing what you do and pictures is a part of life and will not suddenly go away.

Instagram is worth that much because gathered like 40 million users in a short amount of time.  Google had an opportunity to buy instagram and integrate it into google+ as the killer app to rival facebook.  Facebook bought it as a defense mechanism and also to remain dominant in the photo-sharing market.  

Ok. Monetize this for me.

Dbear

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ well, to put it simply, they make money from ads. Currently, the amount of money they get from each user is quite small. But they are going to go over 1,000,000,000 users soon enough.

There in lines the opportunity. What will they do with the IPO money? How will this play out? Your guess is as good as mine.

But you can't ignore the opportunity they have, and that's why their valuation is so large.

I'm currently undecided on FB--though leaning towards it. I'm just trying to argue the other side here.

Slopho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

^ well, to put it simply, they make money from ads.  Currently, the amount of money they get from each user is quite small.  But they are going to go over 1,000,000,000 users soon enough.  

There in lines the opportunity.  What will they do with the IPO money?  How will this play out?  Your guess is as good as mine.

But you can't ignore the opportunity they have, and that's why their valuation is so large.  

I'm currently undecided on FB--though leaning towards it.  I'm just trying to argue the other side here.  

So they get money everytime an ad pops up on Facebook?

Dbear

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, a company will pay FB to advertise on FB. A Company would want to advertise on FB because they can reach a targeted demographic out of their billion users.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What Dbear says, yeah. Do I understand it? Hell no. But I don't even understand how Google makes money.

Slopho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yes, a company will pay FB to advertise on FB.  A Company would want to advertise on FB because they can reach a targeted demographic out of their billion users.  

Okay, Do I have to click on the ad? What I mean is where is the metric for an advertiser to know how effective their ad banner is?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 80 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 35 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads