• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Talking stocks, trading, and investing in general

cross22

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Me too. I was expecting a flat day... perfect, I had a chance to lighten up and did. Sold my ABB. ******* AIG boys... told you! $33.
Decent GOOG earnings. Can anyone explain this split bullshit they are proposing? Where is the "dividend" in it?

They are splitting 2 for 1 but they are issuing non-voting stocks so that the voting power stays the same way as now. In other words, the founders and large holders can profit by selling the non-voting shares and not reduce their voting powers.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

They are splitting 2 for 1 but they are issuing non-voting stocks so that the voting power stays the same way as now. In other words, the founders and large holders can profit by selling the non-voting shares and not reduce their voting powers.

That I get, so its a 2 for 1 split? With the shares show up in my acct as "b" shares or something else?

And where is the benefit for us?

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
None, but I'm happy with the stress test results, so regardless of earnings we're finally looking at decent dividends.

Rds.a shocked me this morning with the oil spill which turned out to be no soo much of a big deal.

CYstyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

None, but I'm happy with the stress test results, so regardless of earnings we're finally looking at decent dividends.
Rds.a shocked me this morning with the oil spill which turned out to be no soo much of a big deal.

lol woulda been a good time to pick up some shares. if only my foresight was as clear as my hindsight

CYstyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
heh didn't help them at all though, nice red day for friday the 13th.

jesus people are still worked up over whether or not qe3 will happen? =_=

Slopho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

heh didn't help them at all though, nice red day for friday the 13th.
jesus people are still worked up over whether or not qe3 will happen? =_=

^ I don't think its going to happen. Take the training wheels off already.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Does the street ever reward good earnings anymore? FFS.... GOOG, JPM, WFC beat and all are down?

Nereis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Does the street ever reward good earnings anymore? FFS.... GOOG, JPM, WFC beat and all are down?

Did you anticipate the bearishness and short the S&P500 to capture alpha?

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Did you anticipate the bearishness and short the S&P500 to capture alpha?

I knew the sector (both tech and banking) have run and are vulnerable but what the hell? Considering how bad banking has been beaten it didnt seem they were overbought and still priced conservatively. Watch, in a week they will be up again.

GOOG, dunno... reaction to click thru or to the new voting rights? I dont get it. Even TIBX, stong has hell earnings a few weeks ago was hit after earnings.

This is a classic trend, but it just seems so overdone nowadays, stocks that have no business going down shouldnt be down.

Dbear

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Green yesterday, Red today.

I feel like the trend of good earnings will continue, so decided to buy in more when the market was down plentiful midday.

Wondering if there will be a rally in the last hour as we look forward to next week--doubtful, but we shall see.

Last edited:

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Green yesterday, Red today.

I feel like the trend of good earnings will continue, so decided to buy in more when the market was down plentiful midday.  

Wondering if there will be a rally in the last hour as we look forward to next week--doubtful, but we shall see.  

I agree, but I'm concerned. I also think earnings will continue to be good so I stayed bought in. My feeling was the bull market would be back in play after earnings started and wham, we were rewarded with AA, then GOOG was good, and now JPM and WFC beat and no english. Seems like the macro trends are running the show now. I dont like what I am seeing. The market is too unpredictable. Suddenly I cant make a day trade for ****. Overnight news is starting to churn the VIX, we are seeing wilder swings like we did in Nov and Dec of last year.

This garbage is only good for HFT bots.

Last edited:

CYstyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I agree, but I'm concerned. I also think earnings will continue to be good so I stayed bought in. My feeling was the bull market would be back in play after earnings started and wham, we were rewarded with AA, then GOOG was good, and now JPM and WFC beat and no english. Seems like the macro trends are running the show now. I dont like what I am seeing. The market is too unpredictable. Suddenly I cant make a day trade for ****. Overnight news is starting to churn the VIX, we are seeing wilder swings like we did in Nov and Dec of last year.
This garbage is only good for HFT bots.

But HFT bots are good, they provide liquidity to the market blah blah garbage. should be illegal already

Last edited:

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

But HFT bots are good, they provide liquidity to the market blah blah garbage. should be illegal already

Was about to reply with WTF $#%$%*&^(@#@%$^ HTF bots are stealing from us and....... but then

Ya, those bots are a nightmare. Not only do they steal from us, they exaggerate swings in prices of stocks.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads