• Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Please visit ou very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are posted, including the latest, updated, very comprehensive, Styleforum Black Friday Sales List

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Talking stocks, trading, and investing in general

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't get between suburban moms and their fiddle leaf figs. It's the gray and white color pallet of the plant world.

Marc Voorhees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Boomers are the new Weed dealers. Awesome

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
What ever happened to the one guy who would buy names in relation to their 52-week lows to try and may a few pennies? I feel like he was Canadian. Seemed to be going through a rough patch of other things towards the end then just disappeared.
Sounds familiar. Younger guy, maybe from Toronto?

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Sounds familiar. Younger guy, maybe from Toronto?
Wasn’t GQGeek from Toronto?
Don’t remember one way or the other him talking about trading. Sounds like an idfnl strategy - it it’s at the 52 week low there’s nowhere to go but up!

Omega Male

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That sounds right. I went back and found him:
Master-Classter
Last seen: March 24. Day after the Bear Market bottom -- perhaps his strategies failed the stress test?

Unrelated, and anecdotally, there are suddenly a lot of big, family-owned businesses for sale on the private market and if you ask why now, part of the answer is always "we want to get out before the tax regime changes next year" (after a Dem sweep).

Last edited:

jcman311

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I mostly remember him from the scents thread, not this cents thread. Does that make sense?

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Last seen: March 24. Day after the Bear Market bottom -- perhaps his strategies failed the stress test?

Unrelated, and anecdotally, there are suddenly a lot of big, family-owned businesses for sale on the private market and if you ask why now, part of the answer is always "we want to get out before the tax regime changes next year" (after a Dem sweep).
Joke's on you. He tripled leverage on margin that day and rode the recovery up. True alpha.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm staying in my defensive stance. It might cost me but that's what I'm doing.
Me also. I took about 85% of my personal account and IRA to cash last week until after the election. True, I may miss some growth, but there is just way too much risk out there, and this market is just overbought by any rational metric. If we move down 30% from where S&P was when I sold (about 3,380), I'll get back in. In any event, if I am not back in by 12/1, I'll layer in through end of year.

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What size? Brent Beshore mentions there are a lot of $1M-$5M EDIBTDA businesses out there where people want to sell but they are in some obscure niche. He also said in a Tweet something like "The operating manual to run a Subway is like 300-400 pages, imagine what it takes to run a small manufacturer."

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
My wife and I had been discussing buying a small business, so for a while I was subscribed to a newsletter for such things. I recall thinking something similar with a lot of them: “You can’t buy a machine shop unless you know how to run a machine shop already.”

I liked the private ambulance biz, though. That seemed pretty straightforward and seriously lucrative.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Most Interesting Fashion Collaboration of 2020

• JW Anderson x Uniqlo

• Nigo x Virgil Abloh

• Converse x Midnight Studios

• Rick Owens x Champion

• Barbour x Engineered Garments

• Adidas x Bed JW Ford