• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Talking stocks, trading, and investing in general

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
SNOW IPO popped to over $300 today. When BRK bought a small chunk of the IPO, I think everyone then wanted a piece. Part of me wants to put in a few thousand and see what happens.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Only reason to not do it is if you're considering moving before the break even. That's what we keep running into $4k in closing costs to save .5-.75pts which gives a break even if 1.5-3 years depending on the exact rate savings and closing costs.
And of course once we went through the application process it turned into $13,000 in closing costs. No thank you! $3-$4K I might consider, but that's pushing it.

My brother in law the day trader is teaching "the trade" to his youngest son, who is taking a gap year instead of starting his freshman year.

Yeah, this will end well.

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And of course once we went through the application process it turned into $13,000 in closing costs. No thank you! $3-$4K I might consider, but that's pushing it.

My brother in law the day trader is teaching "the trade" to his youngest son, who is taking a gap year instead of starting his freshman year.

Yeah, this will end well.
I am in the $13K range for closing costs on my new mortgage. It all looks like a bunch of prepaying fees you already pay so it should be a wash.

brokencycle

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
$13k? Is that because you have something like a 1% loan origination fee or something or extra fees for a jumbo or something? I'm a small timer with a flyover country sized mortgage.

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
$13k? Is that because you have something like a 1% loan origination fee or something or extra fees for a jumbo or something? I'm a small timer with a flyover country sized mortgage.
Loan Fees: $3,100 (you can shop these around but protection letter, title insurance, settlement fee)
Taxes and Fees: $4,100
Prepaids: $2,300
Escrow: $4,000

If this was some sort of refi, I'd assume mine would have been something like $7K

Texasmade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Loan Fees: $3,100 (you can shop these around but protection letter, title insurance, settlement fee)
Taxes and Fees: $4,100
Prepaids: $2,300
Escrow: $4,000

If this was some sort of refi, I'd assume mine would have been something like $7K
Cant you not escrow and prepay?

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thanks for reinforcing to me that I should rip up all these offers no matter how low the fixed rate. Think I’d rather pay off the balance than be out of pocket that much

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
All transfer agents are pretty bad I think. Move your shares to a brokerage and be done with it.

tom153

Reaction score
Thanks for reinforcing to me that I should rip up all these offers no matter how low the fixed rate. Think I’d rather pay off the balance than be out of pocket that much
I think unless your state allows for a bunch of odd fees that the bank or even the state/county can charge, it shouldn't be that bad. You do end up paying transfer taxes and shit like that, but the rest should be things like funding your escrow balance and stuff, but you would get whatever remains in your escrow right now back. You can also ask for a higher rate in return for a lender credit that you put towards your closing costs. As long as the numbers still work out favorably then you're good. Wasn't it @lawyerdad who mentioned that he works with a broker that essentially does this? My take on this is that as long as your rate drops enough and you put whatever you save on your payment towards the principle AND if you're able to cut your mortgage term shorter after doing all this then the refi should be a no brainer, right?

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
I think unless your state allows for a bunch of odd fees that the bank or even the state/county can charge, it shouldn't be that bad. You do end up paying transfer taxes and shit like that, but the rest should be things like funding your escrow balance and stuff, but you would get whatever remains in your escrow right now back. You can also ask for a higher rate in return for a lender credit that you put towards your closing costs. As long as the numbers still work out favorably then you're good. Wasn't it @lawyerdad who mentioned that he works with a broker that essentially does this? My take on this is that as long as your rate drops enough and you put whatever you save on your payment towards the principle AND if you're able to cut your mortgage term shorter after doing all this then the refi should be a no brainer, right?
It was. If anyone is in CA and needs the info, PM me. It’s been a few years since I’ve spoken to him, but I assume he’s still in business.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How did Covid-19 impact your personal style?

• My style hasn't changed at all.

• My wardrobe hasn't changed but I am wearing casual clothes more often.

• I invested in new good quality leisure and casual clothes.

• I invested in new sartorial clothes taking advantage of the sales.

• I purged my closet during quarantine and I have nothing left to wear.

Results are only viewable after voting.