1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Talking stocks, trading, and investing in general

Discussion in 'Business, Careers & Education' started by mikeman, Feb 2, 2011.

1. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

Close, tan.

2. RedLeg

RedLeg Senior member

Market is betting on stimulus with the upcoming election. Only reason financials aren't back down to 2011 levels when Europe is even worse off and China is struggling. Somehow I don't think the banks have reduced their exposure as much as everyone likes to think.

3. CYstyle

CYstyle Senior member

=)

4. SkinnyGoomba

The big banks can likely endure the storm, my worry are the small to mid size financials that bet the house on events in europe. They don't nessecary effect the whole, but they bring down the investors confidence in financials.

5. javyn

javyn Senior member

Congrats GLUU longs, we are well broken out over the long standing 5 dollar resistance, 11 more cents and we'll surpass Zynga's PPS.

IMO this fucker is about to go ballistic.

Time to pat myself on the back for allocating 80% of my portfolio to GLUU and AMRN last year.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2012
  6. SkinnyGoomba

Unless you did so in January of this year I don't see what the big deal is, both look about flat or down YOY. I'm curious as to your obsession with these two stocks for one, and do you not feel allocating an entire portfolio to spec tech to be an excessive risk for what looks like a modest return?

7. javyn

javyn Senior member

Nope, I stomach risk very well. And I see the returns as being more than modest. AMRN will be bought once its patent is approved. GLUU is building a foundation to be a real player in gaming going forward. They are going to absolutely kill Zynga in the near future. No, I'm not hinging on hopes on GLUU being bought. Their IP catalogue is very impressive to me, and I'd rather them go it alone actually.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2012
  8. chogall

chogall Senior member

How would GLUU kill ZNGA when neither of them controls anything on the mobile game distribution side? How would these two very small players compete against the super-sized guys?

Have you met w/ the management?

9. Hannerhan

Hannerhan Senior member

SWHC (Smith & Wesson) just blew out Q4 earnings and raised guidance as they continue to crush it since the new CEO came on board last fall. Next stop, $10.

10. SkinnyGoomba

11. JoeGat

JoeGat Well-Known Member

Pretty interesting stuff, thanks

12. NameBack

NameBack Senior member

Ugh, about to take a beating tomorrow (we're short) because markets are totally overreacting to the news of a single EU bank regulator. I mean, that's all well and good but how exactly does that stop a Greek exit and subsequent bank run in the no-longer EU country? And how does it stop yields from going higher in Italy and Spain?

But whatever, tomorrow is looking like a 1-2% day on the S&P and I'm going to get fucked.

13. dopey

dopey Senior member Dubiously Honored

OID?

14. RedLeg

RedLeg Senior member

I'm not worried about another big bank collapse. They have plenty of capital stockpiled. A further erosion of confidence in financials just prolongs this economic stagnation.

You are right to worry about smaller firms. I still remember what happened to Jefferies. Even though they were pretty well hedged, they got crushed because of counterparty risk.

15. Concordia

Concordia Senior member Dubiously Honored

Afraid so.

16. dopey

That was an unusual issue. I have never seen one devoted to only one idea.

17. Concordia

Concordia Senior member Dubiously Honored

Very true. I think in times gone by there may have been expansions of one theme (tech bubble, or whatever), but I've never seen a single stock so dominate an issue.

If you google around, there are some interesting observations on the publication-- it seems that the editor/publisher is even weirder than one would expect. The same reports suggest that he's had some personal reason not to have put out an issue for a while. So is he swinging extra hard as he comes off the bench?

18. dopey

My wife spoke with him once. She said he was nice but odd.

19. JoeGat

JoeGat Well-Known Member

I wonder whether this Euro Crisis will ever sort itself out before we start worrying about our own problems back home?

20. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

RR has been BLOWING UP lately.. :slayer:

Might have to sell as I don't see why it's gone up so much.

BTW, I fucking hate it when Seeking Alpha (yes, I read articles on there when they're linked from google finance) authors write a stupid post after a stock they said in a past article will go up, goes up. They always go, 'look here at my last article (link) where I say that ____ stock will under/overperform... yadda yadda yadda.'

STFU cause you just got lucky, son.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2012