• We would like to welcome Ratio Clothing as an official Affiliate Vendor. Ratio Clothing specializes in American-made custom shirts offered at a fair price with guaranteed perfect fit. Please visit their new thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Talking stocks, trading, and investing in general

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I thought the SF Minimum Income was well above the cutoff for contributions to both a 401(k) and an IRA?
SF is also a big fan of the backdoor :rimshot: .

Also, there's no income limit for a traditional IRA--even if you can't do the backdoor, you lose the tax deduction, but you still have sheltered growth which can pay off in the right circumstances.

And for the big timers: I've written here about the "Mega Backdoor Roth" before. Saw this post the other day that implies that Fidelity has just made it *way* easier to do a mega backdoor if your 401k is through them. With some institutional backing, it might be easier to convince employers to set up 401ks in a way that allows this.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Kind of happy I sold that big tranche of the S&P fund I posted about several weeks ago and moving it over to VFIDX, a Vanguard intermediate bond fund.

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My 401k is now through Fidelity and we allow after-tax contributions. I will need to read up on this for next year as we are fine this year.

Reactions: otc

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Nice humblebrag, brah.
Actually, it was designed to be contrast to the oft seen on Sty-Fo retrospective announcement on trades (regulars here in this thread don't tend to do this but just within the last week someone in the CE did it big time.) I hung my ass out when I told everyone I was moving a big tranche out of the S&P into bonds and could have well had egg on my face at this moment. I'm also tickled at the move's success as I've never been shy about admitting I'm 95% "buy an index and hold indefinitely."

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'm just joshin' ya. Old coots like you can't mess around! Plus you've been mentioning a Very Secret reason for your moves recently.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I'm just joshin' ya. Old coots like you can't mess around! Plus you've been mentioning a Very Secret reason for your moves recently.
Part of the reason is not secret, namely, my impending old age. The part that is secret has accelerated and will either happen or not happen by the end of the year. If it happens I'll talk about it.

brokencycle

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Part of the reason is not secret, namely, my impending old age. The part that is secret has accelerated and will either happen or not happen by the end of the year. If it happens I'll talk about it.
Impending? You're old already. I'd call you out for being a fatty too, but I saw Ed's tits today, and I can't unsee that.

stimulacra

Reaction score
Anyone follow this Risk Parity 3x Leverage ETF strategy thread on Bogleheads?

HEDGEFUNDIE's excellent adventure [risk parity strategy using 3x leveraged ETFs]
https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=272007

I don't pretend to understand all of the backtesting data and discussions (also sheer amount of replies) but find it interesting to read and follow the debate.

Featured Sponsor

HOW OFTEN DO YOU SHOP FOR CLOTHES ONLINE?

• I mainly buy my clothes online.

• I shop online only if there is a sale.

• I shop online when shipping and returns are free.

• I shop in store only for very expensive items I want to try on.

• I mainly shop in store.

Results are only viewable after voting.