• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Talking stocks, trading, and investing in general

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
LOL. Market up a % this morning, Twittler strikes, market down a %.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Got my monthly interest payment from CIT Bank. Yup, not paying 2.45% anymore. :(

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I could probably do the math, but I'll just ask. Does it make sense to refinance to a 15 year mortgage 15 years into your 30 year mortgage? That would front load the interest (for those of us where it still makes sense).

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I could probably do the math, but I'll just ask. Does it make sense to refinance to a 15 year mortgage 15 years into your 30 year mortgage? That would front load the interest (for those of us where it still makes sense).

How does it front load the interest? If that 30 year has the same interest as the 15 year your interest portion will be the exact same number that first month. In fact, if I'm thinking about this correctly, the interest portion would be smaller the second month in the 15 year because the payment will be higher and you're eroding the amount borrowed faster. Maybe @otc can comment?

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yes, exactly the same...I just checked some numbers.

If you had a 4% 30-year loan of $300k, at the end of year 15, you would have $194k in principal outstanding.

The final 15 years of payments would look identical in the principal/interest split as a new 15-year loan at 4% of $194k. Interest is 45% of your first payment in year 16 either way (645 on a payment of 1432)

Now, if you could get a lower rate on that 15 year loan, it might be worth the costs of refinancing. If the 15 year is 3.5%, your payment will drop to 1384 and you'll pay about 10k less over the life of the loan.

If you instead refinance into a new 30-year loan, you'll increase the interest-share. Lets say the new loan is exactly the same at 4%...just adding another 15 years of payments. Now the interest will still be $645, but that will be 70% of your payment because your payment has dropped from 1432 to 924 (but you have to pay it for twice as long).

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We would refi for the optionality of paying the lower payment if cash is needed though you guys mentioned a HELOC could be the cheaper option at something <$100 per year.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
LOL @ self-leveragers

brokencycle

Reaction score
We would refi for the optionality of paying the lower payment if cash is needed though you guys mentioned a HELOC could be the cheaper option at something <$100 per year.

Mine was $50 to open and no annual maintenance fee or anything. That being said, the interest rate is a fair amount higher than the mortgage.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
LMGTFY

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
what are the interest rates out there now on 30year fixed?

With a maximum LTV of 40%, and some other stringent underwriting requirements, I will give you a private 15 or 30 year for 18.27%.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads