• We would like to welcome Ratio Clothing as an official Affiliate Vendor. Ratio Clothing specializes in American-made custom shirts offered at a fair price with guaranteed perfect fit. Please visit their new thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Talking stocks, trading, and investing in general

brokencycle

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
That’s 300 Big Boys. Tricky Dick fun bucks where a government windfall allows $300 to everyone. Fry spends his on 100 $3 coffees.
The sandwich one is Future Stock with that 80s guy.

As an aside, the fact that the fan Wikia is called the infosphere is also hilarious.

UnFacconable

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Welp, just rolled over some prior 401(k) money into my new employer's plan. Of course the market grew significantly during the several week cash out period. Could have gone either way, but it looks like I got burned this time unless the market moves significantly down before the funds are invested on Monday.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I just put in a limit of $302 for a significant sell of SPY. Will probably put at least some of it in VFIDX after I see what the Fed is going to do with interest rates at the end of the month. Hope I don't screw myself with that limit order and it sees a pull back without reaching that number.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Yup, should have had it as a market order and I'd have done nicely at open.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Need to research this but it's showing a completed order. Huh.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I sold but I need to log in tonight at home and see if I set the limit at what I thought I set it at. The HSA is in my wife's name and she received an email confirmation we sold.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Mystery solved. In that account it was IVV not SPY. Got $302.86.

tcbinnc

Reaction score
But somewhere like
Note that's 200k savings, not 200k a year! As the article states, and I've been saying, Spain is very attractive. Access to the entire EU, good healthcare, so much to see, eat, and drink. Just our combined SS and her pension = living well in Spain.

They also didn't mention either Galicia or Rioja as a place to live. Logrono, la Rioja, has my eye. It's close to San Sebastian, Bilbao, etc. and way less expensive. Also, famous calles of pinxchos.
Do agree Spain is a great place. Started going there as a teen with my family in the early 70's. Warm climate and even warmer people. And popular summer destination for those living in other european countries which adds to its interest, imho.

Last edited:

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When I tried day trading in 2011 I used technicals to figure out what charts looked good. I would watch those names and very unsuccessfully sell for a loss and cut my gains short.

The problem with funds is they get too big and they cannot play in certain pools of stocks because they could be the entire market for a particular name. The only fund I have heard that plays in small names is the Renn Tech Medallion Fund but I mean that is a black box of 70% annual returns.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Do any of you employ technical analysis?
I used to trade currencies based on ~90% technicals. I did ok, but waking up in the middle of the night to trade when the London market opened was no fun. I think technicals have their place for exits.

Featured Sponsor

HOW OFTEN DO YOU SHOP FOR CLOTHES ONLINE?

• I mainly buy my clothes online.

• I shop online only if there is a sale.

• I shop online when shipping and returns are free.

• I shop in store only for very expensive items I want to try on.

• I mainly shop in store.

Results are only viewable after voting.