Talking stocks, trading, and investing in general

Discussion in 'Business, Careers & Education' started by mikeman, Feb 2, 2011.

1. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Ya, I've had a huge year so far. I think the key was I avoided most of the turmoil in '08 minus 2 dogs + bought C too early. I had cash in place to time my major buys in Nov and Dec where I went heavily into banks (BAC, CS, UBS, USB, WFC, STD, LYG, BBVA, CRZBY, SCGLY, RBS, MS) as well as some broader market plays. Took some profits and am in the process of putting some of the gains into non-cyclicals and GLD.

With some recent profits I also bought some heavily speculative plays which sure panned out today. KERX finished up 34% and I dont think its finished running.

Also, check out ZGNX... no needle migraine medication that works in 12 mins for most takers. Speculation of breakout earnings on the new drug. Earnings on Mar 8.

Hey slo, what are your thoughts on ACTC's reverse split?

Last edited: Mar 5, 2012

2. Slopho

Slopho Senior member

We're uplisting which I think is great. I know R/S generally have a negative connotation, but when I first started talking about ACTC I knew this had to happen. With that said, R/S are a zero sum game and as I've said earlier, the question you have to ask yourself is "Why" why is this being done? Is it happening to get back into compliance after falling below $1 for X amount of days or are you trying to (as ACTC is) attract funds and get some kind of institution money coming in. Now, if for even a nanosecond you thought this stock was some kind of scam a R/S and uplist should remove that thought. Its hard being on NASDAQ, you have have have your stuff wired tight. There's none of this non-reporting, late filing, MM BS stuff on the NAS which is what I like.

In the end, the science still works. I read recently where GlaxoSmithKline was entertaining taking over some hESC work from GERN. I almost wanted to laugh. Here is a company that had issued no reports on the progress of their work, had zero peer reviewed articles and had to stop because the price of just getting out of phase I was too high but a major Bio-pharm was interested in their work (the key with this company won't be making people walk again it will be their diabetes treatment). What does that tell you?? It tells me Big Bio-Pharm sees a future in universal blood, diabetes, eye treatment, heart treatment,etc...

Edit: They say that the first person to live to be 150 has already been born. What has changed medically? No new pills, no new treatments, something has to be on the horizon. Is it pacemakers and artificial body parts? Or is hESC which rebuild heart valves and restore eyesight? I look at stocks like DNDN. From $2 bucks to over $50 bucks on a treatment that cost just under 100K and extends life 7 months.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2012

3. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Its a good thing to uplist but that stock price is going to take a hit. It always happens. Those fucks better time it with some serious news.

BTW, took another nibble when earnings dropped it below 10 last week

4. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Guys, anyone who read this post and looked at/bought this stock: you may want to dump it.

I sold mine at 7 am in the car, I was in the car until now, I wanted to update this post as soon as I could. Looks like someone may have been falsely pumping this stock:

http://www.thestreet.com/story/1144...investing-writers-credibility-questioned.html

I still made out, but did not want to hear this bullshit today. I was planning on letting this one run for a bit but I am out.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2012

5. Slopho

Slopho Senior member

^LOL at the Street.com calling out someone for being shady.

6. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Either way, it sure made the price drop. These stocks are like the wild west.

7. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Market is murder today. Everyone else getting killed?

Buying op on DB - down 5%

8. Slopho

Slopho Senior member

Not even trying to look today, market is taking a breather I guess.

9. Verniza

Verniza Senior member

The price correction was expected.

The risk rally is wearing off especially in the EUR markets where the gains are not fundamentally driven and are driven mainly by the increased liquidity in the markets by the ECB and China. The latest economic figures from Europe as well as China's growth forecast are showering the markets with fear of recession which caused a sell off in the Asian and European markets. This ultimately impacts the US markets due to seeming "uncertainty" and is driving money into safe haven assets once again.

But I'd say the price correction is just beginning, depending on the outcome of the swap deal on Thursday it maybe turn into a good time to buy. However, that is just my opinion and I trade FX/Commodities so it may differ from the movements of the stock market.

10. CYstyle

CYstyle Senior member

yeah, volume has been really light last couple of weeks when the market pretty much flatlined with dow at 13k and s&p doing about the same. I think it has a bit of ways to drop, which is healthy, plus I have an IRA in cash i'm looking to buy in the next few weeks when prices are better.

11. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

I think the turn will be friday if the jobs data is good. I'm betting it is.

Until then, fucking hell. I'm losing my gains. No matter how many times I do it, buying on the way down never feels good.

12. javyn

javyn Senior member

Anyone have any interest in Apple's upcoming announcement?

Last edited: Mar 7, 2012

13. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

50% of my portfolio does

Event just started - 3 new products to announce

Last edited: Mar 7, 2012

14. Slopho

Slopho Senior member

Looks like people are selling on the news. I had a feeling people were going to be underwhelmed.

15. javyn

javyn Senior member

Yeah, I don't think people "get it". feh on the iPad 3, but the new Apple TV is going to be HUGE.

JMHO.