Talking stocks, trading, and investing in general

Discussion in 'Business, Careers & Education' started by mikeman, Feb 2, 2011.

1. linds_15

linds_15 Senior member

completely agree. just wanted some opinions on something to go in and out of for ~1 year. good to think outside of my normal sphere

2. CYstyle

CYstyle Senior member

Hm right now, the markets up like 9% since the new year, started, more so if you count from 2011 lows. I have like 15k in my IRA that I have in cash right now looking to put into something but I think there may be a pull back soon. Granted I thought there was gonna be one soon last month heh and missed out on some gains the other guys got. I like to keep my IRA low risk, looking to prob put it into SPY, or some big Pharma w/ divdends like MRK LLY or PFE, and take a small position in some REITs. In my other account day trading Financials has been a cake walk. BAC has traded between 7.8 and 8.2 for an entire month.

3. CYstyle

CYstyle Senior member

I applied haha. Have to take some tests in a couple weeks. Basic english, then a physical endurance test. Seems more exciting than analyst work, plus salary/benefits pretty good. 0 homicides in the last 2 years. City is pretty safe, probably mostly giving out traffic tickets.

4. Slopho

Slopho Senior member

Okay, so the ACTC reverse split. Here are my impressions. 1. We're uplisting, which is very good. 2. The 10K was wrong and there is in fact a plan to decrease the level of A/S accordingly. Now, if you listened to the conference call this morning Gary indicated that they'd been in contact with 15 large mutual funds looking to invest in ACTC. This speaks for itself. The trials are going well and the additional patients treated are seeing the same results. There's a lot of selling on the initial news of a R/S, but it isn't just a gimmick to get back into compliance. We're uplisting which is great.

5. javyn

javyn Senior member

Rumor has it when AAPL announces the iPad 3 and next gen Apple TV, they will be showcasing none other than GLUU Mobile's flagship title, Gun Bros. CEO De Masi the other day on CNBC Fast Money said March 7 is going to be a HUGE day for GLUU.

I expect a runup at least to 6 (52wk high)

Very excited about ACTC and AMRN too.

GPXM turned out to be dogshit, A PIPE is all but a given now. I'd bail on this stink bomb but I'm already down over 75% so I may as well hold out see what happens in the coming months.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2012

6. otc

otc Senior member

At least in canada I am shocked....I mean I know that big city cops in the US can make pretty good money with experience and OT (especially when you consider the pension stuff) but in canada? I thought some of it is compensation for risk of bodily harm and when have canadians ever hurt anyone

7. seattlesf

seattlesf Senior member

You should see what firemen make, it's right in line with police departments. You'll see a lot of excessive overtime. Another high earner are "line workers", the guys that fix power lines. these guys make well over 100k with overtime.

8. CYstyle

CYstyle Senior member

yeah my city pays 125k for firemen. Not too many fire's, they spend the majority of their day waxing and re-waxing their fire trucks, and playing dominoes. My friend lives a block or 2 away, is cousin plays with them. Not hiring though =[

9. MarkI

MarkI Senior member

Alright, try to make this as brief as possible.

I'm 20 years old, going to school on mostly a scholarship, I have a job, i'm not hungry, without clothes, shoes, anything like that.

I've got some money saved up, and I can safely say that I have around $500-$1000 to play with.

Now I know this is not much, and that is kind of the point, to see where I can go with it. I've been reading a lot about trading online and all that, certainly not considering myself an expert, nor saying I am ready to begin investing yet.

But with those who have experience trading online, any tips, advice etc?

Main questions I have right now; which site should I use to trade, where should I do research on up and coming companies, what resources (books, sites, etc) should I use to gain more knowledge about this and a question which i've done much research about, and a lot of thinking.... I'm trying to make as much money as I possibly can in the least amount of time, at least in this state of my life.

Should I day trade, or swing trade, basically how long am I looking to hold onto things?

I don't have any delusions or fantasies of grandeur, but I like to think I have half a brain, and honestly, even if in the short term I lose money, or come out even, i'll take it as a learning experience.

And lastly, i'm not really looking for advice like, "might as well put that $1000 in the bank, or a CD, or online bank" or some shit like that. I've dedicated this money aside to trying this endeavor, and I can live without it if I lose it. So yeah...

Edit: Also, if anyone knows a good "fake" trading website, with fake money and all that, just to mess around with, please let me know.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2012

10. CYstyle

CYstyle Senior member

Honestly 1000$ isn't enough to do any real sort of day trading. commission fees will eat up any profit, your risk will be too high. Say the average cost of a trade is 7-10$. round trip thats $14-20 that's nearly 2% Plus with 1k no retail broker will give you margin. your options are pretty limited.

You could look into DRIPS, or another option is to invest it all into 1 stock and hope it gives you a huge return. maybe someone else can give more advise

11. Saltricks

Saltricks Senior member

I started investing after the 2008 crash with 3000 dollars. I bought SIRI with half my money at around 15 cents, and AAPL at around 94. Within 2.5 years my money had gone from 3k to almost 18k. With such a small amount of money to start, I realized that many multiple trades would ultimately eat away at my profit, so I chose to buy and hold. During those 3 years, I played with fake money, and did research by reading some books/ investopedia.com. When I cashed out my positions, I felt ready enough to begin day trading with the money I earned, plus some more that I had saved over that span of time. So, invest in one or two (at most) stocks, learn the ropes, and hopefully begin trading when you have at least 10k to spend.

Dunno if that's the best advice for you, but it worked for me.

12. Verniza

Verniza Senior member

As of now I feel that which broker you should use should be the least of your concerns.

I don't recommend day trading, not with your amount of capital and certainly not for beginners. Majority of day traders are not profitable and even if they are, the statistical earnings of the day trading game is skewed.

Don't look to making as much money in the least amount of time but rather look to create a sustainable source of income. There is no such thing as quick easy money, the whole overnight millionaire through trading is overplayed.

For now, decide on the type of trader you are and study:
    -Fundamentals
    Learn how to assess the balance sheets of companies, read up on financial ratios and how to calculate them.
    Understand what these ratios represent and how to interpret them
    Understand how government policies and economic indicators affect the movement of the market
    Study some basic economics

Of course you could start by reading on recommended criteria by several professionals on how to select stocks based on the fundamentals but it is best to develop your own set criteria which will serve your strategy and portfolio better in the long run.

-Technicals
    Study how to interpret charting trends
    Study the statistical indicators
    Study the charts

Formulate your strategy by choosing which statistical indicators you are interested in using. Not all indicators yield the same result.

Btw, since you are still schooling, you can check out and see if you are provided with access to Bloomberg terminals. You can use them to aid with your stock picks by inputting criteria for stock selection, shortlist some candidates from the filtered list and jump into fundamental or technical analysis depending on your preference.

In the end your time horizon and company that you choose should be subjected to your personal risk tolerance, time horizon and expected return. No one has the right answer on how long you should hold any securities as it is all based on opinions. Form your own opinions and decide how you want to use your own money.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2012

13. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

I've been trading since age 17 when my dad signed off on me having a brokerage account. No internet back then, 1989. The broker gave me the advice I will give you... I didnt listen.

Buy and wait a while. Give the stock a chance. He bought JNJ, I asked him to buy me ORCL.

I couldnt wait. Made a few bob and sold. He got frustrated with me over time and kept telling me to wait. I couldnt. If I held that $1500 into ORCL back then it would be worth 90k today. I even remember researching MSFT back then and didnt buy it.

The above is right, $1k isnt shit. You cant do much with it. You need a bit more. $3k maybe? You need some form of diversification.

At your age you can be aggressive. I'd go 1/2 growth, 1/4 non cyclical and 1/4 GLD.

For example, CRUS, BRCM, even a share of AAPL wouldnt be a bad play for growth. KFT or K for non-cyclical and 2 shares of GLD, the gold ETF

14. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Last edited: Mar 5, 2012

15. CYstyle

CYstyle Senior member

Happened to me too. I first started investing right out of high school. My dad was telling me to buy a stock back in 2006. it was trading i think somewhere around 13-16$/share. I bought it and sold it a few weeks later and made $50. it kept growing till it hit $90+/share.Paper trading is great, but honestly in the end you still know it's fake money. Once you have real money on the line things become way different.

nice bio gains ^_^;; 2012 has been nothing but homeruns for you