1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

Talking stocks, trading, and investing in general

Discussion in 'Business, Careers & Education' started by mikeman, Feb 2, 2011.

1. brokencycle

brokencycle Stylish Dinosaur Moderator

You are forgetting about an important factor: can you get your ebros in too?

2. otc

otc Stylish Dinosaur

Real problem: Whatever company he chooses will immediately see average worker productivity drop significantly by virtue of having an SF poster on the payroll.

Therefore it is almost a given that the other companies options will outperform...

3. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

For various reasons I needed to realign some things and I did it today. In one account I liquidated all my equities and moved them into bonds. Far and away the largest single day buy/sell I've ever done and I feel like puking even though I think it's 100% the right move to have made. Blah.

There's a good reason I'm an index investor.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2019

4. jbarwick

jbarwick Distinguished Member

Rebalancing is usually tough even though it is the right move.

5. Omega Male

Omega Male Distinguished Member

6. Piobaire

I feel much better now that it's done. My holdings make much more sense now given our age and circumstances.

7. otc

otc Stylish Dinosaur

I gotta do some rethinking. I currently have most of my taxable in the wisebanyan robo advisor. A few winners still sitting in my brokerage account because I didn't want to pay taxes (mostly funds, but a couple of company shares).

A bunch of my 401k is currently in a target date fund. Don't really want it there, but I was doing tax loss harvesting and didn't want 401k contributions messing up the 30 day rule. Roth IRA is in its own mix of things.

Thinking about moving everything except the 401k to vanguard. Easier to have it all under one roof and I am not sure I am fully sold on the robo thing. Wisebanyan is no fee but they lack some features I want (and I wouldn't be surprised if they don't last forever on the no fee model)... But I am not sure I am willing to pay the fees that places like betterment charge for those features.

Seems like writing out a formal portfolio allocation plan and scheduling time on my calendar for quarterly rebalancing/checkups all from a single website would be a better alternative.

8. Piobaire

Can you talk to me about 401 messing up tax loss harvesting? Is it because the same person is making overlapping buy/sells?

9. otc

otc Stylish Dinosaur

Yeah, I'm a little murky on what actually qualifies (does a vanguard sp500 fund count the same as a vanguard etf? As a different company sp500 etf? Conflicting reports online but I lean towards yes).

The robo advisor knows how to avoid wash sales (would substitute things like sp500+midcap+small cap mix with a total market index), but my auto 401k contributions would interfere.

I ended up just switching to a target date fund (not a bad fund honestly). But I'm not convinced of the value of auto tax loss harvesting... Especially if it interferes with my ability to allocate elsewhere. Saves you taxes today but increases taxes tomorrow...

10. Piobaire

Odds are pretty good in 18 months to two years I'm going to have a material amount of cash that will need to go into taxable accounts so I'm trying to figure out how to minimize the tax hit on that. Obviously something like individual stocks would mitigate until sale but I'm not that guy. Need a good index fund or something that won't trigger a crap ton of taxes for me.

11. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Stylish Dinosaur

Put it under your bed.

12. Piobaire

Not as good advice as my e-bros gave me for online, higher interest rate savings. :(

I found the sba.gov sight, small business association, and am using their template to create a business plan. I'm done the first four of seven steps. I can get most of my market research right off the web as the industry I'm looking at is of great interest to everyone from insurance companies to the federal government. I hope to have a credible plan done by the end of the week.

13. Piobaire

Finished the write up, about ten pages, and now to do a start up (pre-licensing) and year 1, 2, and 3 proforma. The start up should not be bad but after that figuring revenues and labour could be dodgy.

14. Omega Male

Omega Male Distinguished Member

Just use the hockey stick. Everyone else does.

15. brokencycle

brokencycle Stylish Dinosaur Moderator

Add add 11% because investors are always going to at least take a 10% haircut immediately.