Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Talking stocks, trading, and investing in general

Discussion in 'Business, Careers & Education' started by mikeman, Feb 2, 2011.

1. mikeman

mikeman Senior member

I though it would be kind of neat to start a thread that would get all the investors together and share stock ideas. I myself just like to invest as a hobby (small timer). But, I often struggle to find things that are good. As of Now Im only holding Apple and Conoco. Whats looking good? Last night I was watching Mad Money and he mentioned ARMH, they design and microprocessors for smart phones, and are used by almost all major brands. Seems to be something good, however there has been a huge run-up and I think I might wait for a pull-back.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2012

2. Slopho

Slopho Senior member

You will find no less than 15 potential Warren Buffett types here. [​IMG]

With that said, I was talking to a coworker about shorthing (Netflix) NFLX. They had a huge jump on revenue and subscriber increases, but he made the argument that they will save money when they eventually start streaming everything, however, Comcast and other cable providers/Satellite cable providers are doing the same now and usually have a 30 day jump NFLX. He predicted that cable and sat providers will really start to push this service and NFLX will eventually go down because of it.

3. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

If yu hopped on Google back in Nov of 2008, you would be doing ok...

4. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

With that said, I was talking to a coworker about shorthing (Netflix) NFLX. They had a huge jump on revenue and subscriber increases, but he made the argument that they will save money when they eventually start streaming everything, however, Comcast and other cable providers/Satellite cable providers are doing the same now and usually have a 30 day jump NFLX. He predicted that cable and sat providers will really start to push this service and NFLX will eventually go down because of it.

Yep...Stop took a little hit yest when Amazon announced that they would be getting into the biz...

5. Bhowie

Bhowie Senior member

I wouldn't bet on the adaptability of cable providers.

6. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

What do you guys like or hate about Sprint (S)?

7. mikeman

mikeman Senior member

I think that they will do okay this next quarter due to the sale of the iPhone. However, I think ATT will do better.

8. deadly7

deadly7 Senior member

I think that they will do okay this next quarter due to the sale of the iPhone. However, I think ATT will do better.

Sprint doesn't sell the iPhone -- that's Verizon you're thinking of.

I'm looking at getting into stocks. Do you guys have any good tips on what I should look for, any websites to read to get acquainted with the market and some basic principles, and what a good buy-in figure would be?

9. ClambakeSkate

ClambakeSkate Senior member

At the risk of sounding like a trolling asshole, do people take serious advice from 'Mad Money'?

I remember I used to watch that show for entertainment purposes when he would destroy his entire studio every single show, but lost interest when he was forced to tone down. Then, a few years after that I remember he was involved in some scandal where he had to apologize for persuading the idiots who can't thing for themselves (US general population) to continue to buy stocks even though the economical collapse was imminent.

10. mikeman

mikeman Senior member

Deadly7- you are right. Sorry about that. That being said i think there are better options over Sprint.

As for Mad Money. Jim Cramer does know what he's talking about. However, I basically watch for entertainment. But he does have a pretty good record if you look back to the things he recommends.

We need to find some stocks that have yet to pop! Tried my luck in penny stocks, and lost my ass--never again.

11. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Senior member

IBM

12. mikeman

mikeman Senior member

IBM over Apple? I think Apple is going to get close to $500 this year.

13. Slopho

Slopho Senior member

Deadly7- you are right. Sorry about that. That being said i think there are better options over Sprint.

As for Mad Money. Jim Cramer does know what he's talking about. However, I basically watch for entertainment. But he does have a pretty good record if you look back to the things he recommends.

We need to find some stocks that have yet to pop! Tried my luck in penny stocks, and lost my ass--never again.

I wouldn't take advice from this guy. He doesn't care about retail investors, only about making his hedge buddies rich.

14. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

IBM over Apple? I think Apple is going to get close to $500 this year.

I think Edina was more quoting the security that it seems like everyone holds. It was quoted in the first Wall St(I believe.) Just a benchmark for long term stability!

15. Slopho

Slopho Senior member

I think Edina was more quoting the security that it seems like everyone holds. It was quoted in the first Wall St(I believe.) Just a benchmark for long term stability!

+1, you'll never get rich or go poor investing in this stock.