• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Talk to me about moth protection

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I saw a tiny hole in one of my suits today, barely noticeable and has probably been there for some time. However, it made me wonder: What closets are most prone to moths and how do I make sure mine is protected?

My residence is in Southern CA, I'm in an apt. bldg. and my closet is off the bedroom. It has a three-panel sliding door and at least one door is usually open.

I doubt this hole was caused by a moth, but now I am curious how I guard against the little bastards in general.

And as a side note, I'll post pics of the hole if I can, I'm curious if a weaver can fix this or if it's at any risk to get worse.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Flicks so that I can diagnose.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TimelesStyle
Not used to uploading pics onto an online forum, let's see how this works...

upload via imageshack.com and copy the forum link into this thread...

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
aah..doesn't loom like a moth cause they would have done much more damaga by now...check the rest of the jacket/pants..

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ter1413
aah..doesn't loom like a moth cause they would have done much more damaga by now...check the rest of the jacket/pants..

Thanks! I'd be surprised if it were a moth, as that's one of my more recent acquisitions and I've never noticed anything on my other suits.

Do you think a weaver can fix that/will it get worse if left alone? The suit is dark brown, so I don't think anyone other than me will notice it. That said, I will notice it...

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

CruzAzul

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think a weaver can fix it. Get the thing cleaned, along with anything else you store in there, and invest in some cedar blocks to repel the little f**ks in the future.

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Unrefinery
I think a weaver can fix it. Get the thing cleaned, along with anything else you store in there, and invest in some cedar blocks to repel the little f**ks in the future.

So you think that is a moth hole? Also, since the doors are usually open, would I not have seen them flying around at some point?

Or are you just saying this as a precaution. I'm actually moving soon and the new place is a loft where the closet doesn't even have a door.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Probably a moth. I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but SoCal is lousy with those little buggers. I have had moth holes that looked very similar to yours. It can be repaired, but you should get everything in your closet cleaned or sealed up for a few weeks (in airtight containers) with mothballs.

Might also be silverfish, which are extremely common in SoCal apt buildings. Whatever the case, that hole did not just appear magically. Nor is it likely to be the only one you find after examining all your items.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TimelesStyle
So you think that is a moth hole? Also, since the doors are usually open, would I not have seen them flying around at some point?

Or are you just saying this as a precaution. I'm actually moving soon and the new place is a loft where the closet doesn't even have a door.

Not if they party when you are at work...

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Don Carlos
Probably a moth. I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but SoCal is lousy with those little buggers. I have had moth holes that looked very similar to yours. It can be repaired, but you should get everything in your closet cleaned or sealed up for a few weeks (in airtight containers) with mothballs. Might also be silverfish, which are extremely common in SoCal apt buildings. Whatever the case, that hole eid not just appear magically.
I have seen silverfish in my apt. once or twice, usually in the bathroom. ****. Glad I'm moving. Is it really necessary to have every suit cleaned? Even if there's no evidence of damage? If I find more holes in other garments, I wonder if my renter's insurance will cover repairs/replacements?

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
also buy a lint brush and brush down before nd after each wear.

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just gave all my suits a cursory look and I can't find any damage.

One thing I did notice was that on some of my older, less high-quality suits, there appeared to be very fine threads stuck to the front of the suit or the arms, and they appeared to match the lining color. It was almost as if some fibers from the lining had worked their way through the wool (but with no damage to the wool at all).

This is on a couple of older jackets, all fused. The pics are from a Paul Smith. In the second pic, some of the threads showing are purplish, just like the lining of the jacket.

I'm assuming that, whether or not I have moths, this is unrelated?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads