• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Hi, we have updated our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy in anticipation of the upcoming new Calfornia laws, the CCPA. If you are a resident of California, these rights pertain to you. Thanks - Styleforum Team.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Talk to me about lasts and derby sizing.

FredericHenry

Reaction score
Hi there,

I’m size almost always 11 and I recently bought some Sanders & Sanders derbys in 11 https://www.sanders-uk.com/shop/product/archie-8813ls. The last was 4831 which is F+. I always thought I had reasonably wide feet, but these were far too big on me. I sold them on and bought 1/2 a size down. After a week of wear I think this pair might be a bit too big too. The length seems fine but to get them tight the lace tabs are nearly meeting in the middle; is this normal? I’m worried because they’ll stretch over time.

Does anyone know anything about this last? Am I going crazy or is it enourmous?

I’ve already had an expensive lesson in shoe buying and I don’t want to sell this new pair on too, so what’s the best way of dealing with this? Insoles? Heel grips? Tongue pad?

Many thanks for any help!

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have the same problem with a different derby last from them.
This is compounded by the fact that I wear H width and have
low insteps. The shoes go mostly un worn.

FredericHenry

Reaction score
Yes I think their lasts are generally quite volumous.
I’ve order a tongue pad to see how I go. They’re really nice shoes other than the abnormally large fit.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How wide do you like your leg opening on your trousers?

• 7”

Votes: 48 16.3%
  • 7.5”

Votes: 101 34.2%
  • 8”

Votes: 89 30.2%
  • 8.5”

Votes: 33 11.2%
  • 9”

Votes: 12 4.1%
  • 9.5”

Votes: 7 2.4%