1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

talk to me about driving shoes

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by anon, Feb 18, 2009.

1. JDHsatx

JDHsatx Active Member

I have several pairs of driving shoes that I wear with jeans or shorts for casual looks. They are definitely not designed for walking great distances. I think they look very chic with a casual look. Ferrragamo and To Boot make some great styles but I don't see most of the guys that post here wearing them since they are far from the Edward Green look.

2. contaygious

contaygious Senior member

Left side is all Ferragamo and the right is Zegna. Which do you think are the most versatile? Blue or Brown? The ones I think you mean are slightly orange which like, but am not sure it would work with my light skin tone and blond hair.

3. sho'nuff

sho'nuff Senior member

Let me just reiterate (as people bring this up all the time and always confused) that driving loafers are meant strictly for driving.
    Yes, you'll see people wearing them to the office and you'll see them advertised as just a casual shoe but it is not.

The rubber nubs on the 'sole' will not last you very long if you walk on pavement in them.

You see the nubs going up all the way on the heel?
    That is supposed to be for the car carpet mat from being pinched and punctured from ordinary shoe leather heels.
    You see the nubs?
    They are meant for grip on the pedals.

During wet seasons where you wear your expensive shoes out in the rain, well, you know you aren't supposed to dry them directly near a blowing heater, right?

But you go into your car and chances are you'll have the heater on and those vents blow hot air directly at your feet, while your shoes are still wet.

Yeah, do that often and you'll end up with dried cracking leather eventually. Better to swap shoes and into driving shoes. Or just some beater shoes.

4. Biscione

Biscione Senior member

I like driving shoes. I wear Car Shoes constantly in summer, with everything from casual clothing to suits. Never with socks.

I haven't seen much posted in this thread that I care for, though. I think that the suede ones are the best (obviously, with the laces), and they look good in most of their natural colours. I don't buy into the trend of wearing them in bright colours.

They wear out fairly quickly, though, if they're being used for a great deal of walking. The laces also sometimes break after being re-tied too many times, and they're seemingly impossible to replace, which makes them look pretty bad.

5. anon

anon Senior member

Thanks for letting me know all of your concerns.

I have a feeling that the mass-produced options intended for the general public (Banana Republic, Clarks) probably make them more as a durable shoe with a driving loafer look that will last a while longer.

That's what I'm going to convince myself of, anyway.

6. skalogre

skalogre Senior member

IMHO all these driving mocs are horribly ugly. But I digress. For track duty I have a pair of Piloti I got from Ross for US$19 + sales tax [​IMG] (yes, I am a high roller, lol). On a more serious note I would think that these are essentially disposable/short-lifetime footwear anyway, so I would worry more about the comfort and fit than the brand...

7. lars7625

lars7625 New Member

they look atrocious.

8. anon

anon Senior member

they look atrocious.
    better than those ugly boat shoes everyone is so fond of [​IMG]

9. southbound35

southbound35 Senior member

I just asked this in another thread and got no responses, but what about these?
    [​IMG]

I like the tan ones a lot. who makes them? the third ones from top on the left

Left side is all Ferragamo and the right is Zegna. Which do you think are the most versatile? Blue or Brown? The ones I think you mean are slightly orange which like, but am not sure it would work with my light skin tone and blond hair.
    Like anon, I like the style of the orange-y pair. I don't think I would wear any of the other styles. The top left and bottom left look too much like boat shoes for my liking and I'm not a bit loafer fan. As for the bright colors, I wouldn't pay retail for them; but if I could snag a deal on them, I might pick up a pair for a change of pace. I'd stick with brown.

I have several pairs of driving shoes that I wear with jeans or shorts for casual looks. They are definitely not designed for walking great distances. I think they look very chic with a casual look. Ferrragamo and To Boot make some great styles but I don't see most of the guys that post here wearing them since they are far from the Edward Green look.
    I bought a pair of To Boot similar in style to the orange-y ones at Nordstrom's Semi-Annual sale a couple years ago and wear them casually (khakis, jeans, and shorts).

better than those ugly boat shoes everyone is so fond of [​IMG]
    +1,000. I don't get the boat shoe craze. Then again, there are obviously those who don't get the "driving" shoe craze.

10. SwedishFish

SwedishFish Senior member

Reviving this thread to ask about sizing for driving mocs. I am thinking of getting a pair of suede ones for casual wear this summer. If one intends to wear them without socks, should one size down .5? I'd appreciate your input/experiences. Thanks.

11. Xiaogou

Xiaogou Senior member

I like them for driving. I have a few pair but rarely wear them for any purpose other than driving.

Wow! Nice to meet somebody who uses them for their intended purpose. [​IMG]

12. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

i have two sets of "driving shoes", a Prada and a Tods. i really would like to just keep them in the car and use them the way they are intended. but damn, my life is complicated enough (i.e. i'm too lazy) to change in and out of shoes everytime i get in and out of my car....plus i swap cars with my wife often. cliffs notes: i am too lazy [​IMG]

13. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

I use mine for long trips of three or more hours.

14. anon

anon Senior member

Reviving this thread to ask about sizing for driving mocs. I am thinking of getting a pair of suede ones for casual wear this summer. If one intends to wear them without socks, should one size down .5? I'd appreciate your input/experiences. Thanks.
    I bought mine in the size I usually wear dress shoes (12) and they're a bit too large. I really wish I had gone at least a half size smaller.

15. NakedYoga

NakedYoga Senior member

I'm really interested in getting a pair of two for this summer. Definitely a pair in a brown (suede most likely) and maybe another lighter. I saw an ad recently, may have been for Sperry, showing a pair that was white or off-white with what looked like a navy blue band across the top. Anyone seen or have any experience with those?

16. SwedishFish

SwedishFish Senior member

I bought mine in the size I usually wear dress shoes (12) and they're a bit too large. I really wish I had gone at least a half size smaller.
    That's what I figured--thanks for the input.

17. TasselsHongKong

TasselsHongKong Well-Known Member

Check out these new Sabelts! Excellent weekend shoe to wear without socks.
    [​IMG]

18. ziggyosk

ziggyosk Senior member

Serious question......So those of you who have driving shoes, Do you seriously change in and out of them everytime you get in and out of the car. I can see like the one poster said when your shoes are wet and you don't want them under the heat, but do you get in and out of your dress shoes into the driving ones on a daily basis? Do you keep them in the trunk or something?

19. TasselsHongKong

TasselsHongKong Well-Known Member

I have not heard of anybody changing in and out of their driving shoes everytime they get in and out of the car. I certainly don't.

With regards to your shoes getting wet, you should stuff them with newspaper, rest them on their side and let them dry naturally and not under a heater/blow dryer etc... That way, you prevent the leather from cracking.

20. anon

anon Senior member

Serious question......So those of you who have driving shoes, Do you seriously change in and out of them everytime you get in and out of the car. I can see like the one poster said when your shoes are wet and you don't want them under the heat, but do you get in and out of your dress shoes into the driving ones on a daily basis? Do you keep them in the trunk or something?
    I wear mine like any other shoe.