• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

talk to me about driving shoes

anon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are they appropriate footwear in a chinos/dress shirt combo or are they too casual, even for this relaxed business-casual outfit? If it makes any difference, it's not uncommon for my coworkers to wear jeans, tennis shoes, and a polo shirt, so casual isn't really an issue. I'm more interested in knowing if driving shoes can be pulled off with trousers.

Also, if you had to choose, would you go with suede or leather? I've got 2 options I'm looking at and prefer the leather ones, but they're harder to come across.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They are very very casual. Wear with khakis/chinos only.

Best worn by the boss, also best worn sans socks, and being boss means you can slip them off anytime you want.

mgomes

Reaction score
Try some Sabelt shoes at http://www.shop.sabelt.com/ they are very well made, stylish, cool and with great motorsport heritage (also available at Yoox).

If you like driving and have a proper driver's car please don't drive it with leather sole shoes. It makes me cringe as much as Kenneth Cole or wearing sneakers with a suit makes most people cringe here
smile.gif

AscotMcPocketsquare

Reaction score
driving shoes are the best footwear in spring summer. Don't wear them with a suit obviously but if people in your office wear jeans to work I think you're ok.

Taxler

Reaction score
Don't driving shoes have studded soles hat would be uncomfortable for walking? Why not just get a moc or boat shoe that's essentially the same upper with a more useful sole?

AscotMcPocketsquare

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Taxler
Don't driving shoes have studded soles hat would be uncomfortable for walking? Why not just get a moc or boat shoe that's essentially the same upper with a more useful sole?

different makers have different soles, they are not uncomfortable to walk in at all though

anon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the ones I'm thinking of are probably more considered mocs than driving shoes anyway. I may have my terminology wrong.
6901-837044-p.jpg
someone wore a pair like these with a suit at a medical school interview I was at. I didn't think they were formal enough for the occasion, but it seemed like a decent dress-down business casual shoe.

mgomes

Reaction score

They actually usually fit very well, snugg but confortable. You don't want to have your feet hurting when braking for that tight hairpin! "Real" driving shoes have very thin soles though, not good for trekking!

mgomes

Reaction score
Originally Posted by anon
the ones I'm thinking of are probably more considered mocs than driving shoes anyway. I may have my terminology wrong.

6901-837044-p.jpg

someone wore a pair like these with a suit at a medical school interview I was at. I didn't think they were formal enough for the occasion, but it seemed like a decent dress-down business casual shoe.

These are not driving shoes, those big, chunkie, rubber "studs" in the sole kill sensitivity and grab the pedals, you'd want a thin and slick sole, no protuberances. I'll shut up now with the driving thing, I guess that's not what you're looking for
smile.gif

anon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mgomes
These are not driving shoes, those big, chunkie, rubber "studs" in the sole kill sensitivity and grab the pedals, you'd want a thin and slick sole, no protuberances. I'll shut up now with the driving thing, I guess that's not what you're looking for
smile.gif

yeah sorry, I've just always heard them referred to as driving shoes. http://bananarepublic.gap.com/browse...scid=547908062

Singular

Reaction score
I love my CarShoe and Tod's driving shoes. With a bit of attitude it's no problem to use them sockless even to a nice suit, I do it a lot during spring and summer.

/M

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I like them for driving. I have a few pair but rarely wear them for any purpose other than driving.

anon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Singular
I love my CarShoe and Tod's driving shoes. With a bit of attitude it's no problem to use them sockless even to a nice suit, I do it a lot during spring and summer.

/M

wow, those Tod's Gommini driving loafers look really nice. Way out of my price range, though. I think they'll be good sockless (or with "naked socks") with trousers/chinos.

AscotMcPocketsquare

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Singular

/M

My only complaint with the Tods is that they wear out so quickly. Granted I wear driving shoes a lot in warm weather, but I rotate 6 or 7 pairs. The Tods always seem to wear out first.

mr monty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mgomes
Try some Sabelt shoes at http://www.shop.sabelt.com/ they are very well made, stylish, cool and with great motorsport heritage (also available at Yoox).

If you like driving and have a proper driver's car please don't drive it with leather sole shoes. It makes me cringe as much as Kenneth Cole or wearing sneakers with a suit makes most people cringe here
smile.gif

Sabelts are very nice and better made than Tods. I get them for $50-100 during the final clearence sales @YOOX.com

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads