talk to me about driving shoes

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by anon, Feb 18, 2009.

1. anon

anon Senior member

Are they appropriate footwear in a chinos/dress shirt combo or are they too casual, even for this relaxed business-casual outfit? If it makes any difference, it's not uncommon for my coworkers to wear jeans, tennis shoes, and a polo shirt, so casual isn't really an issue. I'm more interested in knowing if driving shoes can be pulled off with trousers.

Also, if you had to choose, would you go with suede or leather? I've got 2 options I'm looking at and prefer the leather ones, but they're harder to come across.

2. lee_44106

lee_44106 Senior member

They are very very casual. Wear with khakis/chinos only.

Best worn by the boss, also best worn sans socks, and being boss means you can slip them off anytime you want.

3. mgomes

mgomes Well-Known Member

Try some Sabelt shoes at http://www.shop.sabelt.com/ they are very well made, stylish, cool and with great motorsport heritage (also available at Yoox).

If you like driving and have a proper driver's car please don't drive it with leather sole shoes. It makes me cringe as much as Kenneth Cole or wearing sneakers with a suit makes most people cringe here[​IMG]

4. AscotMcPocketsquare

AscotMcPocketsquare Senior member

driving shoes are the best footwear in spring summer. Don't wear them with a suit obviously but if people in your office wear jeans to work I think you're ok.

5. Taxler

Taxler Senior member

Don't driving shoes have studded soles hat would be uncomfortable for walking? Why not just get a moc or boat shoe that's essentially the same upper with a more useful sole?

6. AscotMcPocketsquare

Don't driving shoes have studded soles hat would be uncomfortable for walking? Why not just get a moc or boat shoe that's essentially the same upper with a more useful sole?

different makers have different soles, they are not uncomfortable to walk in at all though

7. anon

anon Senior member

the ones I'm thinking of are probably more considered mocs than driving shoes anyway. I may have my terminology wrong. [​IMG] someone wore a pair like these with a suit at a medical school interview I was at. I didn't think they were formal enough for the occasion, but it seemed like a decent dress-down business casual shoe.

8. mgomes

mgomes Well-Known Member

They actually usually fit very well, snugg but confortable. You don't want to have your feet hurting when braking for that tight hairpin! "Real" driving shoes have very thin soles though, not good for trekking!

9. mgomes

mgomes Well-Known Member

the ones I'm thinking of are probably more considered mocs than driving shoes anyway. I may have my terminology wrong.

[​IMG]

someone wore a pair like these with a suit at a medical school interview I was at. I didn't think they were formal enough for the occasion, but it seemed like a decent dress-down business casual shoe.

These are not driving shoes, those big, chunkie, rubber "studs" in the sole kill sensitivity and grab the pedals, you'd want a thin and slick sole, no protuberances. I'll shut up now with the driving thing, I guess that's not what you're looking for [​IMG]

10. anon

anon Senior member

These are not driving shoes, those big, chunkie, rubber "studs" in the sole kill sensitivity and grab the pedals, you'd want a thin and slick sole, no protuberances. I'll shut up now with the driving thing, I guess that's not what you're looking for [​IMG]
    yeah sorry, I've just always heard them referred to as driving shoes. http://bananarepublic.gap.com/browse...scid=547908062

11. Singular

Singular Senior member

I love my CarShoe and Tod's driving shoes. With a bit of attitude it's no problem to use them sockless even to a nice suit, I do it a lot during spring and summer.

/M

12. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

I like them for driving. I have a few pair but rarely wear them for any purpose other than driving.

13. anon

anon Senior member

I love my CarShoe and Tod's driving shoes. With a bit of attitude it's no problem to use them sockless even to a nice suit, I do it a lot during spring and summer.

/M

wow, those Tod's Gommini driving loafers look really nice. Way out of my price range, though. I think they'll be good sockless (or with "naked socks") with trousers/chinos.

14. AscotMcPocketsquare

/M

My only complaint with the Tods is that they wear out so quickly. Granted I wear driving shoes a lot in warm weather, but I rotate 6 or 7 pairs. The Tods always seem to wear out first.

15. mr monty

mr monty Senior member

Try some Sabelt shoes at http://www.shop.sabelt.com/ they are very well made, stylish, cool and with great motorsport heritage (also available at Yoox).

If you like driving and have a proper driver's car please don't drive it with leather sole shoes. It makes me cringe as much as Kenneth Cole or wearing sneakers with a suit makes most people cringe here[​IMG]

Sabelts are very nice and better made than Tods. I get them for $50-100 during the final clearence sales @YOOX.com