• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Talk to me about Closet Built-Ins

Insight

Reaction score
I'm renting a new place, and have given-up owning dressers. Last place had a closet built-in, which I would like to do in my new place.

Anyone have any recommendations or words of advice?

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score
Figure what you want, get your budget, then double it. When you get into it youll find problems, different designs you want, stuff to add, 50 bucks here, 100 there, by the time its done, your original plan has almost doubled. Ive found this to be true in most home improvement areas.

Then again, maybe it just shows im a ****** budget maker. hehehe

paco_deluca

Reaction score
i went to ikea last weekend, they have a few set up that i liked. i haven't bought anything from ikea in the past so i am hesitant to pull the trigger on it.

Ben85

Reaction score
Ikea furniture is great, just don't use it or it will probably fall apart.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Built-ins in a rental? Is your landlord paying for it?

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
Built-ins in a rental? Is your landlord paying for it?

good point.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Closet buildins in my suburb are pricey. My wife and I went the Elfa shelving route in the short run and it is really holding up nicely for us. It can look nice if designed well and the installation is actually not bad at all. The Container Store has two sales each year I think.

This is admittedly a less elegant but less expensive way to go but it is an option. For us $1.5-2K versus $6K.

Bartolo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Artisan Fan
Closet buildins in my suburb are pricey. My wife and I went the Elfa shelving route in the short run and it is really holding up nicely for us. It can look nice if designed well and the installation is actually not bad at all. The Container Store has two sales each year I think.

This is admittedly a less elegant but less expensive way to go but it is an option. For us $1.5-2K versus $6K.

The Elfa sale is on right now, which I only know because the Container Store ad came in the mail yesterday.

Benzito

Reaction score
Go to HD or Lowe's and get a kit you can install (and uninstall) yourself. Lots of options to fit what you like (drawers, shelves, hanging bars, etc.). It is cheaper, more flexible, and usually the same quality material that you would pay a "closet designer" to install. If you have the rudimentary motor skills, it won't take you more than a weekend.

* Requires use of a drill and power screwdriver, which they also conveniently carry at the store.

Racove

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bartolo
The Elfa sale is on right now, which I only know because the Container Store ad came in the mail yesterday.

Actually, does anyone know when this end?

haganah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm just amazed that this can cost thousands - we're talking a large walk-in closet then right?

I went to the container store the other day and was amazed at the things they sold - or I should say - the things people were willing to spend on.

Bartolo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by haganah
I'm just amazed that this can cost thousands - we're talking a large walk-in closet then right?

I went to the container store the other day and was amazed at the things they sold - or I should say - the things people were willing to spend on.

The Container Store stuff really is quite expensive. IKEA is a much cheaper place to shop.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by haganah

We have a friend who calls the Container Store "church." As in, she shows up every Sunday and leaves with a substantially lighter wallet, some guilt and great hope for the next week.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads