Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Talk to me about Closet Built-Ins

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Insight, Jan 2, 2011.

1. Insight

Insight Senior member

I'm renting a new place, and have given-up owning dressers. Last place had a closet built-in, which I would like to do in my new place.

Anyone have any recommendations or words of advice?

2. DerekS

DerekS Guyliner

Figure what you want, get your budget, then double it. When you get into it youll find problems, different designs you want, stuff to add, 50 bucks here, 100 there, by the time its done, your original plan has almost doubled. Ive found this to be true in most home improvement areas.

Then again, maybe it just shows im a shitty budget maker. hehehe

3. paco_deluca

paco_deluca Senior member

i went to ikea last weekend, they have a few set up that i liked. i haven't bought anything from ikea in the past so i am hesitant to pull the trigger on it.

4. Ben85

Ben85 Senior member

Ikea furniture is great, just don't use it or it will probably fall apart.

5. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Built-ins in a rental? Is your landlord paying for it?

6. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

Built-ins in a rental? Is your landlord paying for it?

good point.

7. Michigan Planner

Michigan Planner Senior member

I wouldn't waste the money on something in a rental that you cannot easily dismantle and take with you.

8. Artisan Fan

Artisan Fan Suitsupply-sider

Closet buildins in my suburb are pricey. My wife and I went the Elfa shelving route in the short run and it is really holding up nicely for us. It can look nice if designed well and the installation is actually not bad at all. The Container Store has two sales each year I think.

This is admittedly a less elegant but less expensive way to go but it is an option. For us $1.5-2K versus $6K.

9. Bartolo

Bartolo Senior member

Closet buildins in my suburb are pricey. My wife and I went the Elfa shelving route in the short run and it is really holding up nicely for us. It can look nice if designed well and the installation is actually not bad at all. The Container Store has two sales each year I think.

This is admittedly a less elegant but less expensive way to go but it is an option. For us $1.5-2K versus $6K.

The Elfa sale is on right now, which I only know because the Container Store ad came in the mail yesterday.

10. Racove

Racove Senior member

30% off. I think its worth it.

11. Benzito

Benzito Senior member

Go to HD or Lowe's and get a kit you can install (and uninstall) yourself. Lots of options to fit what you like (drawers, shelves, hanging bars, etc.). It is cheaper, more flexible, and usually the same quality material that you would pay a "closet designer" to install. If you have the rudimentary motor skills, it won't take you more than a weekend.

* Requires use of a drill and power screwdriver, which they also conveniently carry at the store.

12. Racove

Racove Senior member

The Elfa sale is on right now, which I only know because the Container Store ad came in the mail yesterday.

Actually, does anyone know when this end?

13. haganah

haganah Senior member

I'm just amazed that this can cost thousands - we're talking a large walk-in closet then right?

I went to the container store the other day and was amazed at the things they sold - or I should say - the things people were willing to spend on.

14. Bartolo

Bartolo Senior member

I'm just amazed that this can cost thousands - we're talking a large walk-in closet then right?

I went to the container store the other day and was amazed at the things they sold - or I should say - the things people were willing to spend on.

The Container Store stuff really is quite expensive. IKEA is a much cheaper place to shop.

15. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

We have a friend who calls the Container Store "church." As in, she shows up every Sunday and leaves with a substantially lighter wallet, some guilt and great hope for the next week.