talk to me about borrelli...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by DerekS, Apr 5, 2011.

1. rsuhandy

rsuhandy Senior member

Truzzi buttonholes are ugly in my opinion, and I really don't like their buttons or collar shapes either. Finamore has my vote.
    That's actually one of the reason I like Truzzi [​IMG] I also love Finamore as well. My favorite shirts are from Borrelli pre-2010 and Isaia though =P

2. earthdragon

earthdragon Senior member

I picked up a couple of Attolini from STF last week and they really are impressive.
    +1 on Finamore.

3. bleachboy

bleachboy Senior member

Number of mentions of buttons/buttonholes in this thread: 4
    Number of mentions of fit: 0

[​IMG]

4. rsuhandy

rsuhandy Senior member

^+1

For me Truzzi fits best off the rack.
    European cut Borrelli fits well too, not so much the ones
    made for the US market.
    OTR fit is not what I look for, as I usually take ALL of my shirts
    to get tailored in the Chest and sleeves [​IMG]
    I like shopping to much to go for bespoke right now,
    as then I'd be paying premium and half the fun is getting deals [​IMG]

5. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Kiton and Finamore are equivalent in handwork (from the examples I own), Finamore has some awesome collars, Kiton has the best collars though. Fit on both is stellar. Id make all my shirts those 2 if I could.

6. skywalker

skywalker Senior member

Kiton and Finamore are equivalent in handwork (from the examples I own), Finamore has some awesome collars, Kiton has the best collars though. Fit on both is stellar. Id make all my shirts those 2 if I could.
    In regards to fit are we talking any kiton. Isn't there U.S./Italy/Germany made ones? (not sure which ones I own, but most of them could be a tad slimmer.
    I keep hearing Kiton shirts leave a lot to be desired. I have a lot of great shirts, (t&a, zegna, rlpl, letc) and borrelli was a nice way to treat myself. Being in nashville where the best shirt you can buy is ike behar, its tough to know exactly what im getting when ordering online.
    The only thing with kiton is their buttons at least for me.

7. CHITON

CHITON Senior member

Kiton, Fray and Attolini are the nicest options at the moment.

The old Royal Collection Borrellis were the best imo.

8. marcodalondra

marcodalondra Senior member

Finamore, barba are probably comparable. Attolini are also nice, if not better.

Check out Donnanna - it's apparently many of the same people from the old Borrelli operation. Although, I can't confirm quality.

http://www.shopthefinest.com/p-36272...-us-39-eu.aspx

Interesting brand and have seen some details of the shirt, looks well made. I will probably give them a try for their Made to Measure/Bespoke service next time I am in Naples.

EDITED:
    About the connection with Borrelli, the brand is owned by one of the company that are owned in turn by the Luigi Borrelli group.... I suspects however that the seamistress involved with the shirts handwork are not the one that use to produce borrelli, but probably use the same old construction....

The factory is based in quite a different area from the the original Borrelly factory

9. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

In regards to fit are we talking any kiton. Isn't there U.S./Italy/Germany made ones? (not sure which ones I own, but most of them could be a tad slimmer.

Ive never seen anything other than made in Italy Kitons.. and the new ones fit pretty slim.

10. rsuhandy

rsuhandy Senior member

^ I think he was referring to ones that are
    made for different markets i.e. US vs European
    I know that Borrelli cuts shirts for the European
    market trimmer than the ones they make for the US market.

11. DerekS

DerekS Guyliner

you need to dump that orange finamore you got. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] I agree their collars are the tits. I may take a swing on a Kiton if I find one on the cheap in my size to give it a go before i buy new.

12. SpooPoker

you need to dump that orange finamore you got. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] I agree their collars are the tits. I may take a swing on a Kiton if I find one on the cheap in my size to give it a go before i buy new.

Funny you mentioned that - I never got that top, but I probably should have.

13. marcodalondra

marcodalondra Senior member

^ I think he was referring to ones that are made for different markets i.e. US vs European I know that Borrelli cuts shirts for the European market trimmer than the ones they make for the US market.
    I think they make them larger, way larger, for american retail stores that must specify the fit model they want. For example I have a Borrelli for NM that has the shoulder/sleeve seam 2 inches larger then the normal fit Borrelli bought in Naples (no slim fit), so 4 inches larger in the shoulder, about 2 inches larger in the sleeve and up to 5 inches larger in the body area (I am having it re-built, more info will follow)....

14. antirabbit

antirabbit Senior member

+1 on Kiton, I have both the Kiton and Oxxford variety. Both have far more handwork than an old Borrelli. I also agree with Spoo that the collars are the best out there.
    Barba Gold labels are kind of a sweet spot as well.
    I am certain that there are no Kiton shirts (dress) made outside of Napoli.

15. jefferyd

jefferyd Senior member Dubiously Honored

Someone please explain to me why handwork in a shirt is desirable.