• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

talk me out of buying this tux

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Jos. A Bank signature tuxedo. original retail $700, will probably cost $100 ish new on Ebay .

it has all the classic styling I want, and it's my size (46R)

Finest Super 110s wool. Single-breasted peak lapel jacket with Bemberg lining and grosgrain satin lapels and buttons. One button closure. Unvented and fully lined. Single-pleat trousers with grosgrain satin stripe, half lined to the knee.
this is for my wedding. I want to look nice, and frankly don't care all that much about how long the tux lasts, if I wear it 7 more times before WWIII destroys us all I would be surprised.

I would certainly be prepared to take this to a quality tailor to have it fitted, spend a couple hundred on waist suppresion, etc.

but, this is all a waste if it looks cheap. so, StyleForum, tell me this is a bad idea, and tell me to go have one MTM by Mr. Ned instead.

thanks!

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are you dead set on wearing a tux to your wedding? If the answer is yes then get it. This is certainly better than a rental .

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yes, I am wearing a tux.

the alternative really isn't a rental, it's buying something nicer, ala BB Golden Fleece on sale or MTM for $1k ish. I'm pretty sure any rental will look poor and I dont want that.

so should I spend $1,000 on one of those vs $250 (inc alterations?) for a nearly identically styled jab.

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't buy an expensive tux. There aren't many occasions to wear it to nowadays. Get the JAB if you are happy with the styling. Don't you have a JAB store nearby where you can try it on first?

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm really interested in how to plan to spend a couple a' hundred on waist suppression?
devil.gif

I would pass on the ebay JAB for your wedding. You're going to be looking at those pictures for a long time, that alone is worth considering BB Golden fleece.

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba
I'm really interested in how to plan to spend a couple a' hundred on waist suppression?
devil.gif

heh, I have no idea, I figured that was roughly the cost? I guess not!

kohelet

Reaction score
Originally Posted by makewayhomer
Jos. A Bank signature tuxedo. original retail $700, will probably cost $100 ish new on Ebay .

it has all the classic styling I want, and it's my size (46R)

this is for my wedding. I want to look nice, and frankly don't care all that much about how long the tux lasts, if I wear it 7 more times before WWIII destroys us all I would be surprised.

I would certainly be prepared to take this to a quality tailor to have it fitted, spend a couple hundred on waist suppresion, etc.

but, this is all a waste if it looks cheap. so, StyleForum, tell me this is a bad idea, and tell me to go have one MTM by Mr. Ned instead.

thanks!

A couple of hundred for tailoring on one garment? Yeah um rip off report called, they want to ask who cheated you....

If you like it go for it. Your price range for an outfit is amazing from $100 althought to $1000. Pick a budget and stick with it.

And It is your wedding but why not buy a garment you can reuse? There are some top notch suits that will look incredible on one of the most important days of your life (barf
musicboohoo[1].gif
) that you can reuse for Simcha events.

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by makewayhomer
yes, I am wearing a tux.

the alternative really isn't a rental, it's buying something nicer, ala BB Golden Fleece on sale or MTM for $1k ish. I'm pretty sure any rental will look poor and I dont want that.

so should I spend $1,000 on one of those vs $250 (inc alterations?) for a nearly identically styled jab.

I certainly wouldn't spend $1k on a tux since your not going to wear it much. The JAB will suffice. Do you like the cut and style of it?

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kohelet

If you like it go for it. Your price range for an outfit is amazing from $100 althought to $1000. Pick a budget and stick with it.

I could justify spending $1k, sure. but like most people I have a finite amount of money and I need to consider how I'm spending it. an extra $500 or $750 on a tux is $750 I prob can't spend on my honeymoon. so let's put it that way.

Originally Posted by kohelet
And It is your wedding but why not buy a garment you can reuse? There are some top notch suits that will look incredible on one of the most important days of your life (barf
musicboohoo[1].gif
) that you can reuse for Simcha events.

I think people on SF vastly overrate the "reusability" argument, particularly with garments that may only be worn once a year. people seem to think cheaper clothes will spontaneously combust after being worn once. I have another cheap tux I bought in my early 20's (10 ish years ago) that I have worn 10 ish times and looks fine, and that includes wearing it for Halloween b/c I simply don't go to many black tie events. (the styling is pretty bad, but thats a different story)

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
re: cut - how much can a great tailor do about this? if it is cut far too boxy/full, will a great tailor be able to make it more fitted looking?

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba
More like a couple a' twenties.

It depends... I had a jacket almost ruined by going to a cheaper tailor. He charged 40 for waist suppression. I'll never do the same mistake again. I'd rather pay a $125 that my good tailor charges and know that he will do an excellent job. Matching the pattern in the side seam, perfect silhouette, closed vents, etc. In my opinion it's better to pay extra and get a product you will love than save a $100 and have a jacket you aren't completely satisfied with. Of course, if your tailor is very good and charges a couple a' twenties then I'm jealous.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
mine charges about $50 and I've paid as much as $125 before (for a jacket with pick stitching at a more expensive tailor). All things considered a couple of hundreds starts at two.

Theory

Reaction score
Man Jos. A. Bank has the WORST cuts on tuxes and suits evar. Even a good tailor can't fix those things.

If youre 45+ years old theyre a great, bargain suitor but if youre any sort of young you'll find the cuts of their suits and tuxs to be very dated, baggy and poorly tailored.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics