• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Talcum Powder?

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I order some shaving soap on-line from Caswell-Massey recently, and it arrived yesterday. I was leafing through their catalog and noticed that in their men's section that they offered a number of scented talcum powders. I know that this is essentially the same as baby powder. However, I don't think diaper rash is a problem for most grown men, at least until they are pretty far sunk into decrepitude.

So, what do you, as grown men, use talcum powder for? I have always found a good terrycloth towel quite sufficient to get my body dry, and I am rather baffled about why a man should want to use it. Do any of you?

I note that some medical authorities opine that it increases the risk of cancer and that it can be quite toxic if inhaled or swallowed.

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Balla Powder: Tingly Scrotum Talc for Men

threesome-large_p2.jpg

http://www.menessentials.com/oxid.ph...-Talc-for-Men/
Ball powder. We're not kidding.

Balla Powder for Men is the ideal anti-chafing and anti-wetness solution for clammy sacks. Guaranteed to prevent the dreaded "bat wing" syndrome, this special version of Balla Powder for Men is all cool and tingly, for guys who need a little extra zip in their shorts. Can be sprinkled into your fudgies for all-day-long comfort and dryness.

A fabulous post-workout treatment, Balla Powder for Men can also be used between your cheeks, as well as on fetid feet and aromatic armpits.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Isn't talcum powder a rather old-fashioned sort of grooming item?

I was under the impression that it was used by men who tended to perspire in rude places.

Eagle

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing

I was under the impression that it was used by men who tended to perspire in rude places.

Actually, it is still used by some men who tend to perspire in "rude" places!
eh.gif

George R

Reaction score
Talcum isn't very healthy as it is a medium for bacteria to grow.

Milhouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I use foot powder, but that usually has other ingredients too, like boric acid and such to help prevent foot fungus. If I am wearing boots, my feet tend to get pretty sweaty otherwise.

markb

Reaction score
Being very hairy all over I find it helps keep me dry throughout the day.

Renault78law

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Reggs is right, you use it on your junk/ass when it's hot. Powder is pretty messy though, you could use anti-perspirant cream instead if you were so inclined. Kiehls makes some.

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing

I imagine any man would need it if they lived in a place like Miami, or Louisiana.

breakdown

Reaction score
When I cut my own hair, I use baby powder and a brush to wipe away the hair from my neck/back/chest. That's what my mom always did when I was a kid. She also used to have us put it on after a shower to dry us off, but I think we all stopped doing that in the 90s.

I also read somewhere that for shaving the more sensitive areas of your crotch (like your balls) shaving dry after applying baby powder is a good technique.

greekonomist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interesting, I just saw this on the Trumpers website:

homeimagely8.jpg

Apparently they've reintroduced it due to "popular demand." Maybe more people use it then I realized?

TintinATL

Reaction score
Originally Posted by George R
Talcum isn't very healthy as it is a medium for bacteria to grow.
Actually, that's not the case. True talcum powder is a mineral (talc) that provides no growth medium. Baby powder, which is sometimes incorrectly called talcum powder, contains cornstarch as well as talc, and that does provide a growth medium. However, if you're washing daily, this should be of no consequence. There is also a theory that, by absorbing sweat, talc actually reduces the moisture bacteria need to grow.

waxy

Reaction score
Funny as it may seem, but I still use talcum powder. What I use is the China Blue talcum powder of Marks & Spencer.
powder.jpg
I use it just to refreshen myself. And it really works!
wink.gif

Rexious

Reaction score
I play lots of golf in Charleston,S.C. and on a good day f 105 degrees and 98% humidity you can easily obtain a world class chapped ass. I use it for preventive maintenance.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads