• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Taking the start my own t-shirt line plunge

worthy1ne

Reaction score
Hello fine folks of styleforum.net. I am writing my first post in hopes of getting some advice, experience and possibly guidance. I have been addicted to fashion since my Mom got that first subscription to GQ magazine. Ever since I was 10 years old I knew that I wanted to have my own line of tee's, polo's, hats and backpacks. My vision on my tee's is to have a nice athletic fit and universal fit for consumers. I am just not sure which route to go in terms of manufacturers. I live in South Florida so there is a dearth of suppliers to go with but any advice would be appreciated. I am aiming to have price points anywhere from $30-$75. The wide range in price has to do with certain custom designs being more detailed than others. Anyway, I say all this to get some feedback from those wh have done or still doing it because I am looking to make this dream a long term reality.

Much thanks.

dinogj

Reaction score
First off, write that in a font we can actually read without a headache.

from what I could gather you want to make a teeshirt brand, how special, I did something like this a few years ago In Denmark and it was a spectacular failure at first so i sold the company...now they are doing better.

Be prepared to sink alot of $$ into your product or your going to end up on the clearance rack in marshalls or Ross.

Your jumping into a saturated market with some very very tight competition.

good luck to you man, but small word of warning, if you really want to try and break into design, try going a differnt route than tee shirts, I dont know what you have available in Florida...maybe well designed towels?

worthy1ne

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dinogj
First off, write that in a font we can actually read without a headache.

from what I could gather you want to make a teeshirt brand, how special, I did something like this a few years ago In Denmark and it was a spectacular failure at first so i sold the company...now they are doing better.

Be prepared to sink alot of $$ into your product or your going to end up on the clearance rack in marshalls or Ross.

Your jumping into a saturated market with some very very tight competition.

good luck to you man, but small word of warning, if you really want to try and break into design, try going a differnt route than tee shirts, I dont know what you have available in Florida...maybe well designed towels?

Yeah, I am fully aware that the market is saturated and that puts more pressure for the designs to be unique and fresh. I believe there is room for my creative stuff and I feel I have that going for me. As for the market in Denmark, you obviously know better than me, but in South Florida teeshirts are worn for 90% of the year. I am going into this with a positive but nervous mindset. We wil see how it goes. Thanks.

dinogj

Reaction score
Maybe Im just bitter, best of luck to you.

My first word of advise is if you dont have alot of liquid cash to start, find an investor or investors because the cost of the shirts, or any custom cuts you may wish to do with the manufacturer will add up quickly.

Of course if your just screenprinting on AA white shirts then your costs are going to be rather minimal, but there are too many of those everywhere anyway. smalltimer hobbyist stuff.

GraphicNovelty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
this is probably not the place you want to spend your time.
1) Graphic T-Shirts are not well favored as an aesthetic on this forum, so you'd likely get people telling you your designs are crap.
2) The other clothing manufacturers on this forum don't do graphic t-shirts so you'll have trouble networking
3) I'm pretty sure affiliate threads usually have to pay for the forum space. I'd PM LA Guy about setting up an affiliate thread if you're dead-set on this forum, but I think you'd probably be wasting your time (here)

worthy1ne

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dinogj
Maybe Im just bitter, best of luck to you.

My first word of advise is if you dont have alot of liquid cash to start, find an investor or investors because the cost of the shirts, or any custom cuts you may wish to do with the manufacturer will add up quickly.

Of course if your just screenprinting on AA white shirts then your costs are going to be rather minimal, but there are too many of those everywhere anyway. smalltimer hobbyist stuff.

I appreciate that. I am working with my cousin who is an excellent artist and he is translating my designs to actual drawings. My question is, I don't want the screenprinting. I want a high quality print on my shirts. What are your thoughts on that.

worthy1ne

Reaction score
Originally Posted by GraphicNovelty
this is probably not the place you want to spend your time.
1) Graphic T-Shirts are not well favored as an aesthetic on this forum, so you'd likely get people telling you your designs are crap.
2) The other clothing manufacturers on this forum don't do graphic t-shirts so you'll have trouble networking
3) I'm pretty sure affiliate threads usually have to pay for the forum space. I'd PM LA Guy about setting up an affiliate thread if you're dead-set on this forum, but I think you'd probably be wasting your time (here)

NP. Just trying to get some feedback. I will PM LA Guy and see what he has to offer.

phoenixrecon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
screen printing is the way to get high quality prints on shirts....

Seems your really invested in this

worthy1ne

Reaction score
Originally Posted by phoenixrecon
screen printing is the way to get high quality prints on shirts....

Seems your really invested in this

I am phoenixrecon, thanks. This has been a passion of mine for a looooong time and I love rocking unique tshirts. So screenprinting offers the highest quality? Would you say a BAPE or Undrcrwn uses screenprinting?

phoenixrecon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would say you should do your own damn research if your so invested in creating your own t **** line.... I mean really. Your like every other guy we get once a month that says

"I'm gunna start this dope t shirt line with fresh designs and charge $60. Anyone think it will do well?"

Jet: "No"

"well **** you im gunna be a star designer some day."

worthy1ne

Reaction score
Originally Posted by phoenixrecon
I would say you should do your own damn research if your so invested in creating your own t **** line.... I mean really. Your like every other guy we get once a month that says

"I'm gunna start this dope t shirt line with fresh designs and charge $60. Anyone think it will do well?"

Jet: "No"

"well **** you im gunna be a star designer some day."

That's how it normally goes? Wow! Well, I am not out to become a star, I am looking to have my own successful business doing something I love. I appreciate the knowledge?

GraphicNovelty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What Pheonixrecon is saying, in his characteristically kind and amiable way, is that we get alot of these threads and they never turn out well.

worthy1ne

Reaction score
Oh, I don't doubt that is the case but if you don't make the effort there is not a chance that it can happen. But I appreciate any and all criticisms and feedback.

Saul Silver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just curious, is there going to be a theme or general design of your graphic tees? Do you have any samples or descriptions of an ideal t-shirt you would create? Any brands that you're trying to emulate?

I don't know if this place is the best place to get the answers you're looking for, being a.) most people here aren't really interested in graphic tees, and b.) I don't think many people here, myself included, know anything about clothing manufacturing. That being said, you seem like a good guy and I think if you gave us some descriptions/ideas about your potential products some people could definitely help you out.

dtmt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the tshirts should feature clever slogans on the front like "Are you ready for SUCCESS?"

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics