• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Taking shirts to the tailor

toss

Reaction score
Before I have only bought shirts from Eton and other various brands within the same quality area, though I have recently bought a few Barba and Borrelli, will look at Finamore when it's time for new shirts next spring. The thing is that I have to take the shirts to my tailor to make them a bit slimmer. They are a little bit to wide for my taste, can I take it to any ordinary tailor and make them do the measures and change the shirt or will I have to do special precautions or perhaps go to the brands own store next time I'm in Italy?

Hirsh

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

Before I have only bought shirts from Eton and other various brands within the same quality area, though I have recently bought a few Barba and Borrelli, will look at Finamore when it's time for new shirts next spring. The thing is that I have to take the shirts to my tailor to make them a bit slimmer. They are a little bit to wide for my taste, can I take it to any ordinary tailor and make them do the measures and change the shirt or will I have to do special precautions or perhaps go to the brands own store next time I'm in Italy?

Any good tailor should be able to do your shirts for you - just remember they might shrink, so don't get them sausage skin tight:)

stubloom

Reaction score
Clearly, you are not a "standard" size. Most folks aren't. So when you buy an off-the-rack shirt and get it "tailored", you eventually end up little bit of everything instead of a whole lot of something. An off-the-rack shirt or a "tailored" off-the-rack shirt will hardly ever fit like a quality made to measure or bespoke shirt.

Sounds like you like the quality of Eton shirts. So find an Eton retailer who offers an Eton made to measure shirt. Most fine men's stores that sell Eton shirts will also offer an Eton made to measure shirt. Try Eton made to measure. You'll never go back to off-the-rack.

Suggestion: If you decide to go the Eton made to measure route, ask the retailer if they can make your collars with removable collar stays.

Last edited:

toss

Reaction score
Clearly, you are not a "standard" size. Most folks aren't. So when you buy an off-the-rack shirt and get it "tailored", you eventually end up little bit of everything instead of a whole lot of something. An off-the-rack shirt or a "tailored" off-the-rack shirt will hardly ever fit like a quality made to measure or bespoke shirt.

Sounds like you like the quality of Eton shirts. So find an Eton retailer who offers an Eton made to measure shirt. Most fine men's stores that sell Eton shirts will also offer an Eton made to measure shirt. Try Eton made to measure. You'll never go back to off-the-rack.

Suggestion: If you decide to go the Eton made to measure route, ask the retailer if they can make your collars with removable collar stays.
Well I think that Eton have a decent fitting, not good but OK. Altough when moving to other brands the fit is often to far away for being able to wear. The Eton shirts have OK quality but I actually want to buy shirts from other brands such as Barba and Finamore. But for them I would really need to go to a tailor with shirts or have them MTM. MTM would, at the time, be to expensive tough and I can only afford the shirts on sale. But I don't know if it is to desecrate such a high end shirt by going to a local tailor and have them opening up the shirt and sew it in.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads