• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Taking pants in at the waist

Bananafish

Reaction score
I bought a pair of slim fit trousers from Farah Vintage in a size 32 and they fit closer to a 34, nearly a full size up. All other measurements are perfect except for the waist. The rise is great, hips diameter of thighs and legs fall perfect. I suppose I could wear them nicely with a belt, but without they sag down to my crotch. I don't want to have to go through the hassle of shipping back to the UK and the size I'd otherwise exchange for (30 S) appears sold out, so I'll likely take these into the tailors. I could comfortably fit my middle and index fingers (with a cm or more to spare) in the space between my waistline and the trousers. I wonder if it would be an easy job to take them in 1.5-2" or if altering the waist size would affect the rear and crotch area of the pants? Any suggestions... Should I just send them back and try to find them elsewhere? I figure the cost of tailoring would probably not be far off from the cost of return shipping to the UK, plus the hassle of repurchasing elsewhere. I have a ton of stuff to bring in to the tailor for fitting anyway...

Thanks

Doc4

Reaction score
IF you have a good tailor you trust, why not just ask him if it's an easy fix when you take in your big pile of stuff.

Bananafish

Reaction score
I will, but if I have to send them back I'd like to do so pronto and while I'm still able to find an exchange. I'm waiting on a MTM jacket and pair of trousers that are in transit right now. I want to bring in everything in for alterations at once to save time, and it'll likely be another week for delivery. I just wanted to know whether 2" off the waist seems a big deal if the fit all around is otherwise ace... I've never had this issue before, it seems strange that a 32 should fit so loose.

tricky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think it may depend on the pant but 2" doesn't seem too much for a tailor to take in.

It likely won't affect the crotch b/c they'll probably take in the back but it could cause some creasing/bunching on the seat of the pant if the seat isn't altered as well.

GradSchooler

Reaction score
Usually up to 4 inches is okay, though pushing it. Two will be fine, though they may have to take in the seat a little to balance it out.

Bananafish

Reaction score
Thanks!

Might be best to do about an inch on each side rather than front/back.

Okay, I'll hang on to them and let my tailor fit them up rather than returning..

Grayland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have it done often. Not a big deal at all, but sometimes it effects the belt loops. I mean the
loop(s) might have to be rearranged in the back as they might end up too close together.

Bananafish

Reaction score
One last question, nothing to do with pants...

Does anyone know if it's possible to alter a pair of leather gloves?

I have an absolutely beautiful and really fine pair of vintage 1960s Italian calfskin driving gloves that are a size 9, and I really need an 8.5 as they're about 1/2" too long in all respects. The finger tips need to be shortened by a few cm... they aqre two-tone dark burgundy and white. The craftsmanship on these gloves is impeccable and I'd be really worried about messing them up. I've also no frame of reference for what kind of costs I'd be looking at to work with soft nappa leather.

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, you can alter them. If they are low-rise, make sure you ask your tailor to take them from the side seams, not from the rear seam. Altering from the sides keeps the rise unchanged, otherwise even more "ass" will show when you sit down.

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite style of coat for winter? Choose up to 3

• Peacoat

• Great coat

• Trench

• Mac

• Chesterfield

• Duffle coat

• Topcoat

• Shearling

• Balmacaan

• Parka