1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Taking off suit jacket at beginning of interview?

Discussion in 'Business, Careers & Education' started by longskate88, Sep 14, 2010.

1. longskate88

longskate88 Senior member

Thought I'd get some opinions:

I have an interview in my school's career center on Thursday. The rooms are small and warm, and it could be as long as 30 minutes.

The interview is for a staff accountant position with a local CPA firm of 65 people or so.

Is it okay to greet the interviewer, then take off my suit jacket before sitting down?

I'd feel more comfortable without it on, and it won't be as hot. Thanks for the advice!

2. Hombre Secreto

Hombre Secreto Senior member

Sure and take your shoes off while you're at it.

1 person likes this.
  3. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

You've already told us what you want to hear but all you're going to hear is the opposite. Oh, btw, do not do that.

4. Da Luis Vuitton Don

Da Luis Vuitton Don Senior member

yea take it off to reveal your overactive sweat glands....

5. whiteslashasian

whiteslashasian Senior member

yea take it off to reveal your overactive sweat glands....

This made me chuckle a bit.

Perhaps bring an ice cold bottle of water into the room with you to drink periodically. Should help keep your internal temp from rising to quickly.

6. Da Luis Vuitton Don

Da Luis Vuitton Don Senior member

This made me chuckle a bit.

Perhaps bring an ice cold bottle of water into the room with you to drink periodically. Should help keep your internal temp from rising to quickly.

Maybe i should have added something useful, too late though as you have him covered! [​IMG]

7. AntiHero84

AntiHero84 Senior member

Just suffer through it. What would you do with your jacket afterwards, tie it around your waist?

8. longskate88

longskate88 Senior member

I can picture taking it off and laying it over the arm of the chair or a nearby chair.

Thanks for the info though guys, It'll stay on! SF has spoken and all ; ). Just dropped it at the tailor to slim up the sleeves, maybe I'll find it a bit more comfortable after the work is done.

9. texas_jack

texas_jack Senior member

That would look weird, like you're going to get naked. Keep it on until you start getting hot, then they will understand. Just don't wait until you start sweating hard.

10. jays978

jays978 Senior member

Thought I'd get some opinions: I have an interview in my school's career center on Thursday. The rooms are small and warm, and it could be as long as 30 minutes. The interview is for a staff accountant position with a local CPA firm of 65 people or so. Is it okay to greet the interviewer, then take off my suit jacket before sitting down? I'd feel more comfortable without it on, and it won't be as hot. Thanks for the advice!
    When I was studying in Singapore it took me 20 minutes to walk to class if I chose to ditch the shuttle. To avoid bathing in my own sweat I'd drink about half a liter of ice cold water and I would be fine. Go with the ice water running through you veins. Best of luck.

11. k9n

k9n Senior member

This would be a perfect question to ask the career advisors at the Career Center

12. Allen

Allen Senior member

humm, don't do it. You only have to do it once and it might make the difference.
    Is it worth losing the job just because of 30 minutes of sweating?

13. JLibourel

JLibourel Senior member

It might also depend on what the interviewer is wearing. If he/she is dressed very casually, then doffing the jacket might not be a bad idea.

14. Flambeur

Flambeur Senior member

UGH. no.

My god... What is this world coming to.................................

15. MetroStyles

MetroStyles Senior member

16. mafoofan

mafoofan Senior member Dubiously Honored

This is silly, but I've heard sillier.

17. MetroStyles

MetroStyles Senior member

FWIW, I totally judge people by their suit in interviews.

18. MistyPioneer

MistyPioneer Member

I've given a lot of interviews in the past and had people take off their suit coat and never thought bad about them. I want people to be comfortable while they are in the interview so they can be relaxed and thinking about the questions I'm asking them, not "How much longer is this interview? I need to get out of this coat"

19. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

I have an interview in my school's career center on Thursday. The rooms are small and warm, and it could be as long as 30 minutes.

You can't sit down talking to someone for 30 minutes in a warm room? Jesus, it's an interview for a job put up with it and nail the interview. If you have to take a cold shower afterwards and drink an ice cold beer.

20. Henry Boogers

Henry Boogers Senior member

I've given a lot of interviews in the past and had people take off their suit coat and never thought bad about them. I want people to be comfortable while they are in the interview so they can be relaxed and thinking about the questions I'm asking them, not "How much longer is this interview? I need to get out of this coat"

Moral of your story = maybe you will get lucky and your interviewer won't give a sh*t.

I wouldn't risk it.